Ari Up from The Slits dies

Sim Tappertit

Slightly off topic but Morrissey is a fan and they did play his Meltdown. Ari Up RIP.

Notorious British punk singer Ari Up has died at the age of 48. She fronted the punk band The Slits.

Sex Pistols’ singer John Lydon who is married to Forster’s mother, Nora, confirmed the sad news on his website: “Nora’s daughter Arianna (aka Ari-Up) died today (Wednesday, October 20th) after a serious illness. She will be sadly missed.”

Known for their unpredictable antics onstage and off, The Slits were formed in 1976 by the 14 year old Ari Up and drummer Palmolive. The band was one of the few female fronted groups of the late 70s punk explosion in England and a major influence on the early ‘90s riot girl movement.

The Slits released two albums, 1979’s Cut, which infamous features photo of the band topless, covered in mud on the cover, and 1981’s Return of the Giant Slits before breaking up. The band reunited in 2005, visited Australia in early 2007 to play at the inaugural Golden Plains Festival and released a final album Trapped Animal in 2009.

Read more: http://www.thirdage.com/news/ari-dies-aged-48_10-21-2010#ixzz12yb87qNZ

RIP Ari

I wonder if morrissey will write an obituary...
rest in peace, ari.
the german singer nina hagen was good friends with her

Sad news. So young.

Morrissey chose "Love Und Romance" by the Slits as one of his Song to Save Your Live compilation.

That's how I'd heard of them, mozmic_dancer. Very interesting song, Love Und Romance, and I'm glad I heard it. It's still on my iPod and I'm sorry to hear that she died young.

Back
Top Bottom