Pete Burns refused to sell Smiths single

...Ahhh....That would be in "Probe" records, Liverpool, then.
Pete Burns was ALWAYS a TOTAL toss-pot behind that Counter....that was one of the shops selling points!!!...I used to go down there of a saturday, just to listen to him slagging off just about EVERY record he was asked for....

Just as Dead or Alive were breaking Pop-world wise, he still worked there, and a young girl bought a single of theirs, and asked him to sign it for her...he said he would, if she gave him an extra £10.00.
H eonce told me to "f*** off" over to Rushworths" ( another nearby record shop) if I wanted to buy an Alice cooper album..despite the fact that Probe had it in stock.....so I did...
I'm not too sure about the "morrissey/Burns" friendship,( as documented on the cover of Smash hits once,. BUT, when the Smiths played at the Royal court theatre once, pete ( and his Entourage) had a "Royal box" all to themselves,....and spent most of the Smiths performance dodging Glasses and Bottles that were being thrown up at them...and quite a lot of anti-Burns abuse in general from the audience....
The chap was/is a "Character", and even the shops owner used to scratch his head as to why he was employed there...but the customers LOVED it.....

Last edited:
Woah thanks, that's really interesting :)
Pete Burns is more marmite than The Smiths I think....I understand why Smiths fans would hate Pete Burns because Dead Or Alive is a disco/club themed band, whilst The Smiths are alternative rock/indie band, they're two completely different genres of music. But I think Pete pulled off the duet pretty good :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I would though...he's great! He started out in post-punk from 1980-1982 and then became an 80s icon in recreating glam disco/rock. He's a cult figure for the 80s and I think his music is great! A very underated individual more underated than Morrissey.

Ahh...I'm a big fan of Pete Burns! As you can tell! I think he's brilliant :lbf:

I'm fine with you mate haha! :) I never thought you were nasty or anything...I guess you can tell I've got Pete's acid tongue in the other thread! I'm sorry about that everyone, but if someone gives me crap, then they've gotta deal with it because I come right back and bite them on the royal arse. I won't back down until he does...anyway back on topic! :)

...I don't know if you saw the "Rock Family Trees" episode on the Liverpool/Eric's club "Scene" back in the 1970's ( it was shown as a series sometime in the 1990's...on BBC , I think....) But Pete steals the frickin' show, with his "Tales" of his life at the time....Great stuff!!! (...probably somewhere on youtube..somewhere, if you havent saw it...).
To my knowledge,he hasn't brought a "Biography" out yet, but I am sure it would be a Brilliant read....

P.S., if it's of any interest, I once knew wayne Hussey, who played in DOA for a while...He was a totally "Geeky" looking individual at the time (....weren't we all!!!), and his "Image" changed almost overnight, from Shy Mormon Preacher, to Dark goth lord of the Underworld, when he Joined DOA.....and then he went on and formed "The Mission"..the rest, as they ( nearly)say....is hysterical...

Last edited:
Oh, P.S....
The Smiths fans that night at the gig didn't hate Pete because of his Different style of music....They just hated him...full stop!!!
he had an AMAZING tendency to annoy people...just by breathing!!!
(...I think it was also a bit of "Jealousy", as The Smiths seemed to be treating him better than their own genuine fans at the show, by giving him and his cronies a VIP box Free, whilst we had to pay for our tickets..., and pete and Co were generally acting like "royalty"....
(P.P.S.....I never threw anything at Pete!!! I admire his "Guts" greatly, for saying whatever he thinks, and to hell with the consequences!!

PPPS, I also heard a great tale about a "Sun" reporter ringing around pop stars, back in the '80's, and trying to get "quotes" about Their favourite Sexual fantasies....What Pete allegedly said is a tad too rude to type here....(PM me, if you are over 18, and all will be revealed....)

PPPS, I also know for a FACT ( ..Allegedly...if my friends Wife is to be believed...)that he had a cosmetic "nose Job" back in the 80's, ( despite his "Denials" in the press at the time...) because My mate was married to a Nurse who assisted in the actual "Op", and, being also a huge DOA fan, Smuggled out the small Hammer that the surgeons used to "Smash" his Nose-bone, as a souvenir!!!! ( ...she still has it!!!)....don't think she got any bits of bone though.....

Last edited:
...Ahhh....That would be in "Probe" records, Liverpool, then.
Pete Burns was ALWAYS a TOTAL toss-pot behind that Counter....that was one of the shops selling points!!!...I used to go down there of a saturday, just to listen to him slagging off just about EVERY record he was asked for....

Just as Dead or Alive were breaking Pop-world wise, he still worked there, and a young girl bought a single of theirs, and asked him to sign it for her...he said he would, if she gave him an extra £10.00.
H eonce told me to "f*** off" over to Rushworths" ( another nearby record shop) if I wanted to buy an Alice cooper album..despite the fact that Probe had it in stock.....so I did...
I'm not too sure about the "morrissey/Burns" friendship,( as documented on the cover of Smash hits once,. BUT, when the Smiths played at the Royal court theatre once, pete ( and his Entourage) had a "Royal box" all to themselves,....and spent most of the Smiths performance dodging Glasses and Bottles that were being thrown up at them...and quite a lot of anti-Burns abuse in general from the audience....
The chap was/is a "Character", and even the shops owner used to scratch his head as to why he was employed there...but the customers LOVED it.....

Haha, great stuff. A sort of transvestite Bernard Black then?

cheers

Oh, P.S....
The Smiths fans that night at the gig didn't hate Pete because of his Different style of music....They just hated him...full stop!!!
he had an AMAZING tendency to annoy people...just by breathing!!!
(...I think it was also a bit of "Jealousy", as The Smiths seemed to be treating him better than their own genuine fans at the show, by giving him and his cronies a VIP box Free, whilst we had to pay for our tickets..., and pete and Co were generally acting like "royalty"....
(P.P.S.....I never threw anything at Pete!!! I admire his "Guts" greatly, for saying whatever he thinks, and to hell with the consequences!!

PPPS, I also heard a great tale about a "Sun" reporter ringing around pop stars, back in the '80's, and trying to get "quotes" about Their favourite Sexual fantasies....What Pete allegedly said is a tad too rude to type here....(PM me, if you are over 18, and all will be revealed....)

PPPS, I also know for a FACT ( ..Allegedly...if my friends Wife is to be believed...)that he had a cosmetic "nose Job" back in the 80's, ( despite his "Denials" in the press at the time...) because My mate was married to a Nurse who assisted in the actual "Op", and, being also a huge DOA fan, Smuggled out the small Hammer that the surgeons used to "Smash" his Nose-bone, as a souvenir!!!! ( ...she still has it!!!)....don't think she got any bits of bone though.....

... you know Wayne Hussey... Wow!!! *genuflection in your direction*:bow::bow:
Pete's a funny bloke, but i wouldn't want to be caught in his line of fire.:tears:

PS: PM me the filth (tone it down - i'm delicate):blushing:

PPS: your stories are mighty funny Dave!:thumb:

Yeah Pete's released a biography, I read it last year...it's pretty good, he had a very weird childhood! It explains why is he is now!

My ex-missus was on Pete Burn's PA. A reality TV show on Living TV where the winner was employed by Pete as his PA. The fact it was shunted onto Living TV2 after two weeks in no w\y reflects the paucity of the programme. It was shit

I wasn't going out with her at the time. Fortunately. If any footage of the prgramme exists please don't tell me. It would spin my head round. Like a record baby;)

Back
Top Bottom