"Louder than Bombs" art event

Tingle3

At the Stanley Picker Gallery in Kingston Upon Thames, (UK) there is currently an art event titled "Louder Than Bombs". The blurb acknowledges that the title is "borrowed" from the Smiths compilation of the same name. The link to The Smiths seems pretty implict rather than explict. There's no exbition as such, so if you want to drop in you should check to see what's on first - apparently there's a Facebook page to say what's going on.

Week 6 of the programme has an event called Prick Your Finger "Murder at the Wool Hall" : Prick Your Finger is a yarn shop and textile gallery in Bethnal Green London that’s putting the rock 'n' roll back into textile and fashion production. Run by Rachael Matthews and Louise Harries, Prick Your Finger is concerned that British textile production has been lost to unethical manufacturing of disposable fashion. By constructing the world's first bicycle powered wool mill, they will turn unwanted sheep fleeces from within the M25 into a range of seductive yarns, good enough for the Queen. “We’re asking the world to listen to sensible ways of profiting from nature without exploitation.”

Week 7 features The Vacuum Cleaner "What difference Does it Make?"

Many years ago I bought a book of feminist photographs, it was called Louder Than Bombs.
It was a collection of shots of street posters that had been grafittied with feminist slogans.

I can't remember if it pre-dated the Smiths' album but my memory says it did.

Of course I no longer have the book so would appreciate any info?
Google only speaks of another book with the same name.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION.

Back
Top Bottom