Top 100 Iconic images of Morrissey 1983-2009: nominate 5 favourite photos 1983

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewpie

Subscriber
First of all, many thanks to Houdini who inspired the idea of the polls. :bow:

The suggestion will be open 7-10 days then a poll will be posted.

The rule:

Each user can nominate 5 photos of Morrissey (or The Smiths) taken / published in widely available commertial publications in 1983.
It means no fanzines, I'm afraid.

Also many thanks to Comtesse who runs excellent The Arcane Old Wardrobe where you can search / check the year of the photos from photo gallery.

The polls cover 1983-2009 i.e. 26 years, I decided to exclude photos taken by amateur photographers, Smiths / Morrissey single and album sleeves which don't have a photo of Morrissey.

Basically the photos get most suggestions are selected for 1983 poll.
Maximum 15 photos for each poll because vBulletin software does not allow more than 15 poll options.

I suggest you to visit The Arcane Old Wardrobe's photo gallery and It May All Ends Tomorrow before you submit your 5 favourites in here.

It's simply impossible to please everyone, if you don't agree with the rules, make some constructive suggestions now.
Otherwise you don't have to participate the polls.

Thank you very much for your help. :)

Last edited:
Kevin Cummins was a fan of The Smiths as well as a photographer. Does that mean his photo's can't be nominated?:straightface:

Kevin Cummins was a fan of The Smiths as well as a photographer. Does that mean his photo's can't be nominated?:straightface:

:doh:

Kevin Cummings is a professional photographer and a Smiths fan, isn't he?

Last edited:
:doh:

Kevin Cummings is a professional photographer and a Smiths fan, isn't he?

you've edited your first post.

you said no photos taken by fans so why the smilie? It's your mistake not mine.

You really shouldn't edited your orginial post. You should correct your error in a different post.

Some of the best photos are amateur ones, this is pure snobbery.

lainey
I saw the original post and you are correct in both your comment about Kevin Cummins and your assertion that people may think you made the error.
You did not.

Jukebox Jury

I'm afraid it's impossible to track down all the names of the photographers and the year.
Therefore in this occasion the photos taken by professional photographers only.

We can have polls of amateur photographers work in 2011 or later.

lainey, you know English isn't my mother tongue.
I already stated it in a thread posted at the end of December 2009.
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=106268

Last edited:
lainey
I saw the original post and you are correct in both your comment about Kevin Cummins and your assertion that people may think you made the error.
You did not.

Jukebox Jury

I stand by the fact that fans photos are the best. Jake (when he was an amateur during the 90's) Walters are wonderful.

I stand by the fact that fans photos are the best. Jake (when he was an amateur during the 90's) Walters are wonderful.

Jake Walters' photos were officially used Morrissey's singles, hence he's regarded as a professional.

I also posted in here, there are some exceptions.

Last edited:
Unfortunately in this thread I didn't get many useful suggestions to set the basic rules.

This thread welcomes more helpful suggestions in order to set the basic rules.

Last edited:
I never manage to actually insert the pictures from TAOW into my posts- it just doesn't work for some reason. However there are a few links below to some great ones:

http://foreverill.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=129

The iconic early Morrissey profile. His facial expression, hair, the black and white and the beads all make this picture wonderful.

http://foreverill.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=952

http://foreverill.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=397

http://foreverill.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=1589

I'm actually looking forward to the polls for this. Should be interesting. :)

1983.... hmmmm.

If they upload in correct order:
  • Morrissey & Marr with flowers in Joe Moss's office
  • The four of them in a doorway at Central Station (Gmex)
  • The four of them before going on stage at Electric ballroom - its the beads
  • My fav has to be the fourth one with Johnny hugging Moz
All by Paul Slattery and all in "The Early Years"

Dave

Thank you very much Girl_with_the_Thorn and Dave2006. :)

Possibly the first photo of The Smiths I saw was Paul Slattery's.

Yay Just what we need ANOTHER frink thread :mad:

Just to make my list 5 long (and to stick to the idea that this is about shots of Moz and not his band) ... What about a Kevin Cummins pond shot
tatton.jpg

Dave

First of all, many thanks to Houdini who inspired the idea of this polls. :bow:

The suggestion will be open 7-10 days then a poll will be posted.

The rule:

Each user can nominate 5 photos of Morrissey (or The Smiths) taken / published in widely available commertial publications in 1983.
It means no fanzines, I'm afraid.

Also many thanks to Comtesse who runs excellent The Arcane Old Wardrobe where you can search / check the year of the photos from photo gallery.

The polls cover 1983-2009 i.e. 26 years, I decided to exclude photos taken by amateur photographers, Smiths / Morrissey single and album sleeves which don't have a photo of Morrissey.

Basically the photos get most suggestions are selected for 1983 poll.
Maximum 15 photos for each poll because vBulletin software does not allow more than 15 poll options.

I suggest you to visit The Arcane Old Wardrobe's photo gallery and It May All Ends Tomorrow before you submit your 5 favourites in here.

It's simply impossible to please everyone, if you don't agree with the rules, make some constructive suggestions now.
Otherwise you don't have to participate the polls.

Thank you very much for your help. :)

why not first favourite single covers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom