Simon Goddard talks about the genius of Meat Is Murder on its 25th anniversary

I know parts of this have been seen before - I didn't want the link on Simon's page to die, and so...here it is. Dig Mike bongoing and STARING!

Peter

Thanks. I'd not seen that before. 25 years sure flies by don't it?

Thank you very much Peter.

I still remember first time listen to 'Headmaster Ritual' and 'Barbarism Begins At Home' from a weekly radio programme in March 1985.
I'm still gutted that I was unable to travel to see the last date of UK tour at Royal Albert Hall gig because I didn't have money. :(

Cheeky critic Mr Kitamura added 'pork cutlet' in his signature in Japanese liner note.

Last edited:
Johnny - "Incurable Macho?"

Moz - "'Incurable ma....well...". <Raises eyebrows> "...they'd never say that!"

Love it.

Peter

Last edited:
It's always important to remember the other side. Consider this excerpt by Rob Sheffield from the Spin Alternative Record Guide: "Denounces sex, dancing, carnivals, cigarettes, political conviction and miniskirts in a desperate attempt to cover up for a lack of melodies.”

He gave it a score of 2, on a 1 - 10 scale. Also, "the Dean" of American rock critics, Robert Christgau:

Meat Is Murder [Sire, 1985]
It makes a certain kind of sense to impose teen-macho aggression on your audience--for better or worse, macho teens are expected to make a thing of their unwonted hostility. These guys impose their post-adolescent sensitivity, thus inspiring the sneaking suspicion that they're less sensitive than they come on--passive-aggressive, the pathology is called, and it begs for a belt in the chops. Only the guitar hook of "How Soon Is Now," stuck on by their meddling U.S. label, spoils the otherwise pristine fecklessness of this prize-winning U.K. LP. Remember what the Residents say: "Hitler was a vegetarian." C+

Love,

Ian

That is excellent, thanks:)

Especially loved his comments on Rusholme Ruffians, made me laugh out loud - how do folk not get his deadpan humour?! Its genius.

Very nice, many thanks :)

I may just buy the meat is murder vinyl, just to celebrate this great occasion :D

When was the official release day in 1985?

good god 25 years .seems like yesterday i was walking into my local HMV and purchased the plastic piece of vinyl !

each household appliance is like a new science in my town .......................what a lyric :lbf:

I bought it the first Saturday it was out......played it early Sunday morning and...... well maybe I was not fully awake yet.....wasn't too impressed:eek: and left it for another three or four days.
I kept thinking, ''Hear is another band that make a great debut album and then....... (though I had 'Hatful' as well as the debut).
So three or four days later I reluctantly played it again.....and wow....how did I not hear those opening two songs in their full glory on the first listen......:guitar:
The album was then played constantly all day, learning the words as each play came.
Ever since then, I have never played a brand new album on a Sunday morning!

Little funny anecdote too:
I'd played the album solidly for days by now, and one morning, put it on and at the end of side one (That Joke is funny anymore) I couldn't be arsed getting out of bed to turn it over to side 2. So 'That Joke...' fades out.....and then fades back in and I'm like WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! where did that come from?:confused:
I'd played the album maybe 15 times and never realised I kept picking the needle up before the song had officially ended:o

Jukebox Jury

I was living in France at the time with no record player.
The best I could do was taping tracks from John Peel on the world service.
I still bought it though and just gazed for hours @ the sleeve/lyrics .
It was another two months before i transported it home and on to is rightful place on my turntable.

Remember being blown away by the guitar sounds.To me,this was when I realised The Smiths were much more than Morrissey.

The tour is where it became clear that Johnny was THE driving force.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom