Damo mentions having a singsong with Moz before Dublin gig

cossy

irish blood dublin heart
Moz mentioned on stage at the National Stadium that hehad met up with Damien Dempsey the night before and after 2 sherries he had to put Damo in a taxi:)

Here is Damiens recollection of events from his facebook page

I had a sing song with Morrissey and his gang in the Four Seasons Hotel before his show in the National Stadium coming up to Christmas there, his crew were in awe when I walked in first followed by my older brother Gar who's a little bigger than me and behind Gar was the oldest brother Emmet who's bigger than Gar again, the Russian dolls some folks call us. Morrissey sang a bit of Gilbert O'Sullivan and I sang 'Paddy on the Railway' and Gar sang 'Go to Sea no More'. Morrissey was lovin it but they all had to shoot to bed for the impending show and they left the three of us with the barman who promptly bid us goodnight and left, we sat in silence lookin at each other for a second, stood up collectively as instinct kicked in, treaded towards the bar with our dwindling guinness's and...etc etc.

Nothing Rhymed perhaps?

cossy

That would have been some singsong to eavesdrop upon!

Maybe Morrissey went for "Alone Again (Naturally)". Imagine hearing him sing THAT one.

As long as it wasn't 'Claire' :eek:
A drink's a drink an all that, but there's a limit...

Nice story, especially in light of Morrissey's quip about Damien having to call it a night after being knocked out by two dry sherries!

Gilbert O' Sullivan's touring Ireland soon, might be worth catching.

I heard the comedian Karl Spain claim he's a big Smiths/Morrissey fan during a radio interview the other day. The question of whether The Smiths lyrics should be part of second-level schools curricula was raised with some seriousness. :)

Obviously they are good mates. Moz has been spotted at various Damo gigs and I remember him mentioning Damo in 2004 at the Dublin Castle gig. And also at Kilmainham gig in 2008 where he sang a verse of one of Damiens songs. He also chose to play a Damo song when he appeared on Janice Longs show in late 2008 and added a Damo song on the NME's collection Songs that saved your life

Good to see they seem to still get on given Mozzers usual difficulty in "holding on to friends".

That would have been some singsong to eavesdrop upon!

Maybe Morrissey went for "Alone Again (Naturally)". Imagine hearing him sing THAT one.

That's my friend Jonathan's FAVORITE song, he never stops singing it. :p I realize this post adds nothing to the thread but it's one of those days.

I have no idea who this guy is, but the fact that he says people are "in awe" when he walks into a room makes me think he's a tad arrogant... Maybe he's earned it, but that rubs me the wrong way... fill me in

I have no idea who this guy is, but the fact that he says people are "in awe" when he walks into a room makes me think he's a tad arrogant... Maybe he's earned it, but that rubs me the wrong way... fill me in

He is a friend of Morrissey's and has supported him on tour.
He is an extremely talented singer/songwriter.
He was referring to his brothers as well as himself, and it sounds like Morrissey enjoyed the night.

Anything more "filling in" required?

A friend who was guesting in Whelans earlier tonight and whose debut album features some duetting with Damo, introduced me to him. He's the friendliest person you could meet. I asked him what song Morrissey sang at this impromptu session at the Four Seasons and via beautifully crooning a few lines, he revealed that it was 'Nothing Rhymed'. :guitar:

These days I believe M is humming 'Táimse im chodladh is ná dúisigh mé (I'm asleep and don't wake me)!!! Which is to say, in the words of Bjork, it's oh, so quiet...

Still, one of Ireland's best ministers resigned yesterday, after one of its not best did likewise last week. So the world keeps turning, I hope it don't turn away...

If you read the original post....what he meant was that people are quite surprised that there is a line of brothers with each one being larger than the last - I'm assuming the third brother is quite large! "Awe" may not have been the best word but he wasn't referring to his talent or aura or anything, just the impressive size of the brothers.

Tags
damo
Back
Top Bottom