How do you feel about Kill Uncle?

What's your opinion of Kill Uncle?

• Total voters
Kill Uncle is generally considered to be one of Morrissey's 'worst' solo albums.

While I would never class it as my favourite (Vauxhall and YOR currently share that place in my heart and are battling it out as we speak :D), I do really like it. My personal favourites are 'Our Frank', 'Mute Witness' and 'There Is A Place In Hell For Me and My Friends', and there are no songs I actively dislike on the album, only ones I'm ambivalent to. The only criticism I have is the odd echoey-voice effect on some tracks.

So, what are your feelings about KU? Vote on the poll, it's public. :thumb:

Last edited:
i really like the album its near the top somewhere. it could have been arranged abit better though. maybe putting some the more uplifting songs towards the end aswell. but is one of my favourites.

Kill Uncle is a masterpiece. One of my faves, and the BEST front cover of all his albums. I miss the dandyish morrissey. And Our Frank and King Leer always get me dancing and make me happy.

Yes I ADORE that album

The worst Morrissey period ever. Worst arrangement for the songs, worst production. Our Frank could easily be one of his worst songs...Found Found Found? What is it? Is it really a song? No...terrible.

Years of Refusal is my favorite.

But Kill Uncle has so many gems. :love:

I love the emphasis on his voice on Kill Uncle, if that makes sense.
It's a very soothing sounding voice, yet it still has that bite. Rawr.

The production and the sparse instrumentation let the album down. Listening to the songs on Live in Dallas they sound much better with the gutsy guitars.

its ok probably the album I least listen to. mute witness is my favourite from it though great tune!!!:)

Posted in another thread but forgot to mention this.. I don't like that Tony The Pony is the closing track. I think it kind of ruins the vibe set by I'm The End Of The Family Line and There Is A Place In Hell For Me and My Friends. Still, in all of its unconventional glory, it's still a great record.

Posted in another thread but forgot to mention this.. I don't like that Tony The Pony is the closing track. I think it kind of ruins the vibe set by I'm The End Of The Family Line and There Is A Place In Hell For Me and My Friends. Still, in all of its unconventional glory, it's still a great record.

Tony the Pony wasn't the closing song on the original album. It was just tacked on the re-release or the American version, like How Soon is Now was added to Meat is Murder.

I quite like Kill Uncle - it's around the middle of my Moz album league (way better than Who Ate Me Curry, ROTT and Southpaw Grammar).
Sing Your Life is perfect, Driving Your G/f ain't far off, Mute Witness, Our Frank, Family Line etc are all good songs.
It's only Camera Eye which is truly awful. The worst song he'd written at the time (and remained so until Dagenham Dave came along).

I love it to bits, it's not my absolute favourite... or maybe, sometimes it is. I can't stand some songs on it though, like Asian Rut (is it even the title? I always skip it) and Our Frank. And I prefer the rockier version of There is a Place... Sing Your Life and King Leer are sheer perfection! :love:

When "Mute Witness" is an album highlight, you know you're in trouble. ;)

I don't think it's terrible, but there are a few really bad songs on it ("Asian Rut", "Camera Eye"), and its highs really aren't that high. When I want to put a Morrissey album on, I just tend to forget this one exists, and despite their flaws, that never happens with Southpaw or Maladjusted.

The production and the sparse instrumentation let the album down. Listening to the songs on Live in Dallas they sound much better with the gutsy guitars.

^This.
And the KROQ session version of Sing Your Life totally destroys the KU version. If that version would have been released as a single with the same b-sides as the KU version, it would be my favorite single he's released.

Kill Uncle is generally considered to be one of Morrissey's 'worst' solo albums.

While I would never class it as my favourite (Vauxhall and YOR currently share that place in my heart and are battling it out as we speak :D), I do really like it. My personal favourites are 'Our Frank', 'Mute Witness' and 'There Is A Place In Hell For Me and My Friends', and there are no songs I actively dislike on the album, only ones I'm ambivalent to. The only criticism I have is the odd echoey-voice effect on some tracks.

So, what are your feelings about KU? Vote on the poll, it's public. :thumb:

and it still is, I remember before I bought it that it would be bad.

Tony the Pony and Found Found Found are his worst.

I have a lot of great memories associated with this album. But apart from sentimentality, I think the album has got a decent amount of strong melodies and lyrics. Certainly better than a fair few of his other albums in my opinion.

It's my favourite album, it has been for ages. I identify myself so much with it in every single song, and in the fact that we both are disliked by so many people. I've never liked happy, popular or fashionist records, because I'm not happy, popular or fashionist, so that's another thing in common. I also find a certain gloomy, dark atmosphere in the album that has attracted me like no other.. I love every Morrissey creation, buth this one is very special to me, it's my personal point of connection.

Awful,just awful (apart from Mute Witness).

Back
Top Bottom