The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 237: MY DEAREST LOVE

How do you rate My Dearest Love?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 25,000 votes were cast and the result was The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. This year many people have asked me to continue with the polls as 18 new Morrissey-songs have been released since. With the release of 'Swords' now seems as good a time as any to start them.

Song 237: MY DEAREST LOVE

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He should be ashamed

Previous polls (voting will remain open):

Part 236: Drive-In Saturday
Part 235: Children In Pieces
Part 234: That's How People Grow Up
Part 233: All You Need Is Me
Part 232 and previous

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted. It's a 10. Nearly moved me to tears the first time I sparked it up on the record player.

Perfection.

"I have hung on, hung on, hung on for one hundred years..." is the single greatest moment in any Morrissey song since "I'm here, I won't move; I'm here, I won't move; I'm here, I will not move".

Both give me a serious case of the spinal chills.

Perfection.

"I have hung on, hung on, hung on for one hundred years..." is the single greatest moment in any Morrissey song since "I'm here, I won't move; I'm here, I won't move; I'm here, I will not move".

hmmm. But he did move eventually, no? I mean, if he didn't, I daren't imagine the eschars...:squiffy:

Oi Morrissey move. MOVE. Do you hear me? (Oh dear, he's collapsed now.:o I shouldn't have asked him to move after not moving for such a long time! :eek:)

Nah trust me he has moved a lot our Moorrissee. :straightface: He's been out and about. Oh yesh.:straightface:

:straightface: (blink. Go on. If you dare..)

hmmm. But he did move eventually, no? I mean, if he didn't, I daren't imagine the eschars...:squiffy:

Oi Morrissey move. MOVE. Do you hear me? (Oh dear, he's collapsed now.:o I shouldn't have asked him to move after not moving for such a long time! :eek:)

Nah trust me he has moved a lot our Moorrissee. :straightface: He's been out and about. Oh yesh.:straightface:

:straightface: (blink. Go on. If you dare..)

I'm sure he moved from foot to foot, just to fend off the possibility of deep-vein thrombosis. Either that or he wears those super-long flight-sock thingies.

A solid 8. Ten? Are you people serious? That's just a tad sycophantic.

Basically, this is as good as contemporary Morrissey gets. I'll leave a 9 for one or two tracks on YOR...

10?? Yeah, It's just like "Everyday is like Sunday." Ten.:crazy:

Basically, this is as good as contemporary Morrissey gets. I'll leave a 9 for one or two tracks on YOR...

Yes. Ten.

Sycophantic: I gave Children in Pieces a less than solid six, so that would be a 'no'.

Much as I like Years of Refusal, I honestly don't think there's a nine on there. A couple of eights, mostly sevens/sixes and even some threes/fours.

So, sycophantic? Once again, that would be a 'no'.

I genuinely love My Dearest Love and have from the moment I first heard it, and it hasn't lost any of its appeal. Wonderful stuff.

I also consider it to be a 9, heard it for the first time on the "new" album, unlike the other songs which I already knew before of course.

This is on of his greatest songs, my favourite on Swords and really disappointing it ended up as a b-side only. Though I don't even know which album it would have been intended for?

Great track, just great lyrics & music. :thumb:

Call me sycophantic if you will but this is great.
Not quite a 10 maybe but definitely more than a 9.

There's no 9.5 button so I'll toss a coin.
Sycophants of the world unite and take over...

an absolute 10 if not higher...
i was praying fervently for this to be in the setlist these past few gigs, but no joy, which is no bad thing because I would need medical help to recover if he were to sing it right in front of me., :rolleyes:

Call me sycophantic if you will but this is great.
Not quite a 10 maybe but definitely more than a 9.

There's no 9.5 button so I'll toss a coin.
Sycophants of the world unite and take over...

You are right!! it's great! I voted 9 , just because that 9.5 button was missing :thumb:

Since my first listeing I appreciate this song.
Its lyrics are gorgeous and pretty.
I'm really waiting for reasons to don't give it NINE or TEN.

A solid 8. Very good song, but it is nowhere near perfection. But certainly one of his best of this decade.

well, we looks like we have our first top 100 song from the post 2006 batch,
possibly top 50, and also possibly the highest ranking song of the 21st century...

Sycophantic?

I think not.

It's one of the best songs he's ever written- this would hint at there being worse songs than this. Hence not exactly sycophantic.

Fanf***ingtastic, better than anything on YOR.

It is definitely a 10 for me. Believe it or not, I like it better than Everyday is like Sunday! It gives me chills when I listen to it. Fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom