The Moz/Smiths Top 100, APPENDIX: CHILDREN IN PIECES

How do you rate Children In Pieces?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, I put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 25,000 votes were cast and this resulted in The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. This year many people have asked me to continue with the polls as since the last one 18 new Morrissey-songs have been released. With the release of 'Swords' now seems as good a time as any to start them.

So here it goes. Let's hope for as big a turn-out as in 2007, and once again, vote with your heart, not with your mind.

Song for Today: CHILDREN IN PIECES

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He should be ashamed

Previous polls:

Part 234: That's How People Grow Up
Part 233: All You Need Is Me
Part 232 and previous

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess you are going in order of release rather than alphabetical? I liked alphabetical but I suppose it the outcome is the same.

I imagine there are some who will note that someone thinks this song is 'perfection' and will react with unbridled horror. But, even though I think it's merely okay(ish), I rather like the fact that someone else can listen to the same song and get so much more from it than me.

I don't think it's simply a question of taste but the staggering difference between people in their entirety. :)

I imagine there are some who will note that someone thinks this song is 'perfection' and will react with unbridled horror. But, even though I think it's merely okay(ish), I rather like the fact that someone else can listen to the same song and get so much more from it than me.

I don't think it's simply a question of taste but the staggering difference between people in their entirety. :)

Excellent post :clap: :thumb:

I gave this a 7. It would've been a 6 if not for the second half of the song. I love how malevolent it becomes from 'You say you wanna go home...', culminating in Morrissey's near-shriek, and the very sinister incoherent whispering.

I gave this a 7. It would've been a 6 if not for the second half of the song. I love how malevolent it becomes from 'You say you wanna go home...', culminating in Morrissey's near-shriek, and the very sinister incoherent whispering.

i agree that it ends better than it starts and it sags a bit in the middle between the second verse and "you say you wanna go home" , but i liked it from the start and "my sentimental heart hardens" and "get your hands off me.. kid , you must be bad luck" lines are vicious but true !

So I guess you are going in order of release rather than alphabetical? I liked alphabetical but I suppose it the outcome is the same.

Yes, chronologically this time. There were to few songs for it to make sense alphabetically.

We'll start with the All You Need is Me and Paris + b-sides and then Years of Refusal, plus Southpaw extras.

coulden't decide between 6 and 7 either, the ending made me give it a 7 finally :)

Passions has informed me that the bit at the very end is actually "and the Christian brothers kick the shit out of very frightened children", played backwards. Interesting.

It still astonishes me that Barbarism came in at #93, I honestly belive it's the greatest pop song I have ever heard.

CIP is a good song, perhaps overshadowed by My Dearest Love in some cases but I think the pairing of the two just creates the strongest morrissey single release since quarry.

It's a 7 from me

For contemporary Morrissey, lyrically this is about as good as it gets. I'm still confounded by the use of the first person but that's just Morrissey for you. I'm feeling sentimental because of the stage collapse, here's an eight for you Mozzer.:)

The leaked demo is far, far ballsier, and in my opinion, better than the released song. Still not bad, though.

Peter

I gave it an 8; an above-average Morrissey/Tobias song. Better than most songs on ROTT. Really like the swooping vocal melody, and the "my sentimental heart hardens" line is glorious!
Looking forward to hearing it on Swords.

Back
Top Bottom