Merriweather threatened over Smiths track

I am a Ghost

The Red hitmaker collaborated with producer Mark Ronson on his 2007 album Version to remake classic 1987 track Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before.

But obsessed fans of The Smiths were not impressed - and threatened to kill Merriweather for covering the track.

He says, "I wasn't really a big Smiths fan and I think that's why I sort of didn't realise how dangerous it was to cover a Smiths song.

"Mark was making an album, getting all his friends to sing his favourite songs, and he said 'Do you want to sing this?' I said yes and it did really well, and we received death threats.

"In true Smiths fan style, it would always be via the internet, never face to face. It was like 'I will stab you', 'I will hurt you'. It's fair enough, it's sacred ground, isn't it? The only thing that mattered to me was if Morrissey hated it. But he said he liked it."

...I don't wish DEATH or Violence on anybody to do with this song....but I thought it was just a Meandering, Pointless, Mindless, Monotonous Dirge...(...and that was just the Smiths Version!!!:)

I hated it at first but liked the coverage it gave The Smiths.

However I doubt very much a young Mark Ronson fan would bother finding out about The Smiths, but one lives in hope eh :guitar:

I thought he and Wino totally butchered 'Valerie' much more to be honest.

...I thought he and Wino totally butchered 'Valerie' much more to be honest.

I actually thought this version was better than the Zutons.... but as i'm now mind numbbingly sick of hearing it, im not so sure...

It's not like that's the first Smiths song to be covered. It wasn't even THAT bad.

Obsessive Smiths fans, calm down, jeez.

I'm quite ambivelant towards it tbh. What I do find strange is the added lyrics at the end - cover the song if you like, but don't f*** about with the lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom