'Jack The Ripper' studio on this GH outing..

Well the joke is that Jack The Ripper (Live) is like the Moz solo version of Hand In Glove, Moz insisted on putting it on everything for a while.

It was on Beethoven was deaf first.

Then the B-Side to Now My Heart Is Full.

Then World Of Morrissey.

Then My Early Burglary Years.

The studio version of JTR was/is a b-side 2 a single from the Your Arsenal album. IT ROCKS! It's a rare find & needs 2 b released again. Actually SHE needs to release a b-sides album.

I have the Jack the Ripper studio version, and it's nowhere near as good as it is live. The only way I would want the JtR studio is if he rerecorded it with the present band... but I do miss the "nobody knows me" section that he doesn't do live...

I have the Jack the Ripper studio version, and it's nowhere near as good as it is live. The only way I would want the JtR studio is if he rerecorded it with the present band... but I do miss the "nobody knows me" section that he doesn't do live...

Yes, and also that other section from the studio version where he quotes Oscar Wilde's "Ballad of Reading Gaol" and simultaneously, low in the mix, you can hear his "love that dare not speak its name" declaration of love to Jake. Makes for a longer version but I dunno, I guess not everyone would want to hear that.

Yes, and also that other section from the studio version where he quotes Oscar Wilde's "Ballad of Reading Gaol" and simultaneously, low in the mix, you can hear his "love that dare not speak its name" declaration of love to Jake. Makes for a longer version but I dunno, I guess not everyone would want to hear that.

You read too much from the lyrics. :p

That attorney would not want for work, but you'd probably get even more use out of a proofreader who can sanitize all humor and happiness out of your posts.

Okay, the link doesn't seem to work. Now, I'm curious. You didn't pick a thread when I drank like three Redbulls in fifteen minutes and then hit the Solo Forums did you? 'Cause that could be embarrassing for everyone involved, specifically me.:)

EDIT: Strange, I cannot get into any of the large threads, i.e. frink thread when I'm signed in as a member. I always get the following message: "Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 6105 bytes) in /home/forums/httpd/showthread.php on line 1231"
If I enter the Forums without logging in I can get into those threads. What is this bullshit? There trying to keep the man down! I will down a six pack of Redbulls and go apeshit in the Forums.

Last edited:

Uh... going to go listen...

Really? I'm amazed. I just got the CD out and listened again - it can only be that bit at the beginning where he is saying something, but it's very hard to make out - have you deciphered it then? What does he say? It's a bit like that bit in The Never-Played Symphonies, where something whispered is said, twice, and I've never figured out what it is. Anyway, back to Jack The Ripper - do you think this song is a song to Jake, like Best Friend On The Payroll and Sunny?

Peter

"Ballad of Reading Gaol." Was that the preface to The Portrait of Dorian Grey? Perhaps it was on the edition I read...:confused:

No, I think it's about Jack the Ripper, and possibly about how Morrissey identifies with him, especially with the "nobody knows me" section, which is why it baffles me why he doesn't do it live. And it's probably also about the raw romanticism of an anonymous zipless f***/murder in an alley while wearing fetish-fulfilling, restrictive, oppressive Victorian clothing.

Um... or something like that.

Jeez, I'm sorry, I was going to fess up sooner but I stepped away for a few minutes. It was a wee joke at the expense of those who don't have the "hard to find" studio version...SORRY!

That deserves a few of these :):):)

Although I think it's funny nobody called bullshit on my ridiculous Wilde post awhile back...I thought the hoax was obvious but I guess you have to make sure folks know you're kidding.

Last edited:
Jeez, I'm sorry, I was going to fess up sooner than that but I stepped away for a few minutes. It was a wee joke at the expense of those who don't have the studio version...SORRY!

That deserves a few of these :):):)

Christ on a bike, I was taken in by that - you're usually so authoritative, you swine - I played it four times and all I could hear him say was something about a bath. Getting back to that Never-Played Symphonies, what does he say?

Peter

Back
Top Bottom