Morrissey and interacting with Fans

Bardot

Uniformed Whore
So, I am curious. How does Morrissey Interact with fans....Does he ever meet with fans at shows..or is he more of a private person? Any of you have the honor of meeting him....and what do you think about how he interacts with fans? do you think he should sit down and offer himself to fans..as in, getting to know his fans...or do you think he feels he knows his fans enough already?
I know all of us would like to meet morrissey face-to-face and chat with him. I do understand that if he was more open and intimate fans that he would never be let alone.

I dont ask to be odd. I have just been sitting back and reading posts and show revues etc...and finding that morrissey isnt the "weirdo" that the media potrays him as. i dont mean weirdo in a mean way. I just mean it as fact. He is portrayed as an elitist...cynic...and somewhat odd. and I love seeing all your posts and show reviews raving about his sense of humor, the way he carries himself on stage, about his intelligence...etc. As you can tell I have never seen a Morrissey Show (this will change on July 10th). Though I am not a "new" fan, but not a die hard fan like most of you on this board. I was a baby when the Smiths rose to fame....and over the past 7 years come to appreciate his music.

Another thing I find interested is the new fans Morrissey has developed over the past years. People my age (I am 25) and younger. What has drawn you to Morrissey. Before you read this next part...I am not accusing...but, Is it because he is a very handsome man...or it is the popular Hot Topic thing to be into the Smiths and with that Morrissey....or is it because you really appreciate and feel everything he means in his music. I just feel younger adults and teenagers get into certain music bc it is a fad showing immaturity... I read on some review people arguing back and forth about who was on the front row and how lame it was that people werent moving...and one girl was saying how she got bruises from being upfront trying to prove she was one of the most dedicated people at the show...i know I am getting way off topic...my apologies...you can ignore this entire thread if you like. I am just a curious girl.

ps if anyone is going to be at the knoxville, Tn or Myrtle Beach, Sc shows let me know. I would love to meet up with other people going to these..especially Myrtle Beach since I will be going alone to this show.

a. Have a look at mozwa.com in the forum, there are few people talking about meeting him, and in this forum too you can find people who met Morrissey, I'm sure Kewpie will post the links.
b. I'm not a die hard Moz fan (not yet, at least), but I'm a die hard Smiths fan. I first listened to the Smiths because I love music and I like "discovering" good old bands (I'm 19 by the way), I read about them in magazines etc; but it took me a year to become obsessed with them (untill I heard Meat Is Murder and other stuff, "The Smiths" and "The Queen Is Dead" didn't attracted me much)

I'm nearly 17.. I was a fan of The Libertines and Placebo, and when I heard them and so many more bands saying The Smiths were a big influence, I thought oh what's so great about them so I decided to check them out. I first heard How Soon Is Now a year ago and I didn't think too much of it. Then a few months later I saw There Is A Light on vh2 and fell in love with it straight away. So it all went from there for me..

Oh and I detest these teenie bopper girls buying The Smiths T-shirts from hot topic just because they know one song and it's the kewliez thing to do..
Or any other band for that matter, one of the girls in my college class came in one day with a Rolling Stones t-shirt on, so I tried to talk to her about them but it became painfully obvious she didn't know any other songs other than Paint It Black... Ugh Poseurs~*

I have just been sitting back and reading posts and show revues etc...and finding that morrissey isnt the "weirdo" that the media potrays him as. i dont mean weirdo in a mean way. I just mean it as fact. He is portrayed as an elitist...cynic...and somewhat odd. and I love seeing all your posts and show reviews raving about his sense of humor, the way he carries himself on stage, about his intelligence...etc. As you can tell I have never seen a Morrissey Show (this will change on July 10th). Though I am not a "new" fan, but not a die hard fan like most of you on this board. I was a baby when the Smiths rose to fame....and over the past 7 years come to appreciate his music.

First, see you in Knoxville! :D

I had exactly the same experience you're having when I first came here. Thanks to the people on this site, I realized that Morrissey is NOT the person I had been led to believe he was all those years ago I was really young and was first introduced to the Smiths. When I first started coming here, (lurking) I was exactly as you describe yourself - definitely not a new fan, but not a diehard. It didn't take long once I started actually paying attention to Moz, reading and listening to what he has to say, and what others who have met him and watched him on stage for years have to say about him, for me to fall in love with the man. :) To tell you the truth my life hasn't been the same since. I've now been lucky enough to see him 4 times in 7 months, and if all goes as planned I'll be lucky enough to see him 4 more times by the end of this tour. My experiences seeing Moz have been every bit as emotional, as amazing, as touching, and as exciting as those I read about when I first came here.

So welcome to Moz-solo, I hope you have a wonderful time here and I hope your first couple of times seeing Morrissey live are unforgettable. :)

This is a great question.
I'd just like to sit & have a pint w/ him actually, casual small-talk is all I'd need.

How many of you out here ACTUALLY and truely, met him? What was your experience like?

Oh and I detest these teenie bopper girls buying The Smiths T-shirts from hot topic just because they know one song and it's the kewliez thing to do..
That reminds me of when a freshman at my school this year wore a Dio shirt, which didn't quite "match" her Rocawear pants. I asked her if she was a Dio fan. She replied, "Yeah, he's hott"

DXS

This is a great question.
I'd just like to sit & have a pint w/ him actually, casual small-talk is all I'd need.

How many of you out here ACTUALLY and truely, met him? What was your experience like?

Ok, back to the original question!

I've met Him several times, but I would like to share the most exciting encounter that I've never written about here. It was the most exciting because it was completely out of the blue, though it wasn't even the first time I had met Him. Happened almost a decade ago in Moz Angeles.

At first I didn't think it was really Morrissey, just another American who looked a lot like him. Moz also didn't look like I expected him to -- he was shorter than I thought he'd be and his hair was long and greasy in the back kinda like an Elvis DA (thankfully he cut it and cleaned it up in time for the tour). But after listening to him talk, I came to realise it really was HIM! I was so nervous that I left the room to collect myself. I didn't think Moz noticed me because he was pretty engrossed with something else and didn't lift his head to make eye-contact. When I felt more composed, I returned and greeted Morrissey. I also stupidly said, "I can't believe it's you!" (Wasn't thinking of the same verse in the Sandie Shaw song "I Miss You" but it's apt!) He grinned and joked, "It's NOT me!"

I probably shook his hand upon greeting him because I usually do. But strangely, I have never asked him for a hug.

I was wearing a homemade shirt with the piccy from What Diff. where Moz is posing as Terence Stamp and holding a glass of milk instead of a chloroform-soaked sponge. The caption was a parody of the Got Milk advert: Got Moz? He said, "I like your shirt." I was abashed because it wasn't executed perfectly and I worried that he wouldn't approve of an unlicensed shirt. But now I know he doesn't mind. He even complimented me on the homemade !Oye Esteban! shirt I wore during Alma Matters at the first gig of the !Oye Esteban! tour.

Morrissey was so very nice and seemed genuinely interested in talking with me. We talked about the upcoming tour. He asked me how I came to know about all the tourdates, where I lived (Riverside, CA at the time -- I said he probably didn't know about this humdrum town, but he protested that he knew it well), radio, Internet, blahblahblah. I remember asking him about the name change of the tour from "Isle of Dogs" to "Oye Esteban". He deftly explained that controversy didn't play a part in the decision to change it, just that the record company wanted him to promote that latest release.

Bless his dear heart, he seemed reluctant to leave at the end of our conversation, but our mutual friend said it was time for them to be on their way. As he left, Moz slowly walked away and kind of clung around the doorway saying, "I hope you enjoy the gigs, the shows..." voice trailing away. Awww, at that moment he seemed as shy as I felt! Even though rationally I know he's got to have people around him to extricate him from fans who just want to spend forever with him, he didn't betray the slightest notion of such a setup to me.

Morrissey has an amazingly sharp memory. He remembers small details for years.

P.S. I have never stalked him nor gone to his house uninvited. I have way too much respect for him to do such a thing. It boggles my mind to think that people who supposedly love him would aggressively violate his privacy and drive him out of his beloved house.

Ok, back to the original question!

I've met Him several times, but I would like to share the most exciting encounter that I've never written about here. It was the most exciting because it was completely out of the blue, though it wasn't even the first time I had met Him. Happened almost a decade ago in Moz Angeles.

At first I didn't think it was really Morrissey, just another American who looked a lot like him. Moz also didn't look like I expected him to -- he was shorter than I thought he'd be and his hair was long and greasy in the back kinda like an Elvis DA (thankfully he cut it and cleaned it up in time for the tour). But after listening to him talk, I came to realise it really was HIM! I was so nervous that I left the room to collect myself. I didn't think Moz noticed me because he was pretty engrossed with something else and didn't lift his head to make eye-contact. When I felt more composed, I returned and greeted Morrissey. I also stupidly said, "I can't believe it's you!" (Wasn't thinking of the same verse in the Sandie Shaw song "I Miss You" but it's apt!) He grinned and joked, "It's NOT me!"

I probably shook his hand upon greeting him because I usually do. But strangely, I have never asked him for a hug.

I was wearing a homemade shirt with the piccy from What Diff. where Moz is posing as Terence Stamp and holding a glass of milk instead of a chloroform-soaked sponge. The caption was a parody of the Got Milk advert: Got Moz? He said, "I like your shirt." I was abashed because it wasn't executed perfectly and I worried that he wouldn't approve of an unlicensed shirt. But now I know he doesn't mind. He even complimented me on the homemade !Oye Esteban! shirt I wore during Alma Matters at the first gig of the !Oye Esteban! tour.

Morrissey was so very nice and seemed genuinely interested in talking with me. We talked about the upcoming tour. He asked me how I came to know about all the tourdates, where I lived (Riverside, CA at the time -- I said he probably didn't know about this humdrum town, but he protested that he knew it well), radio, Internet, blahblahblah. I remember asking him about the name change of the tour from "Isle of Dogs" to "Oye Esteban". He deftly explained that controversy didn't play a part in the decision to change it, just that the record company wanted him to promote that latest release.

Bless his dear heart, he seemed reluctant to leave at the end of our conversation, but our mutual friend said it was time for them to be on their way. As he left, Moz slowly walked away and kind of clung around the doorway saying, "I hope you enjoy the gigs, the shows..." voice trailing away. Awww, at that moment he seemed as shy as I felt! Even though rationally I know he's got to have people around him to extricate him from fans who just want to spend forever with him, he didn't betray the slightest notion of such a setup to me.

Morrissey has an amazingly sharp memory. He remembers small details for years.

aww thats such a cute story!

i would love to meet him one day. especially in an unexpected way like that. i dont know what i would say. i think id be too nervous to carry on a real conversation. all i really want to say to him is a simple "thank you." thx for sharing that :)

thanks for sharing Mel, lovely story!

Another thing I find interested is the new fans Morrissey has developed over the past years. People my age (I am 25) and younger. What has drawn you to Morrissey. Before you read this next part...I am not accusing...but, Is it because he is a very handsome man...or it is the popular Hot Topic thing to be into the Smiths and with that Morrissey....or is it because you really appreciate and feel everything he means in his music. I just feel younger adults and teenagers get into certain music bc it is a fad showing immaturity... I read on some review people arguing back and forth about who was on the front row and how lame it was that people werent moving...and one girl was saying how she got bruises from being upfront trying to prove she was one of the most dedicated people at the show...i know I am getting way off topic...my apologies...you can ignore this entire thread if you like. I am just a curious girl.
sweetie, curiosity is a good thing! don't apologise. :) I am 19 and I first heard of Moz Smiths last year, I only had this vague image in my mind of Moz as "some old singer" odd I know. swedish.. :rolleyes: my bf at the time was into the smiths and played me "the queen is dead" and to my great surprise (we did NOT share the same taste in music) I loved it. I fell more and more in love with the music and started tracking down more and of course started reading about them. got very fascinated by Morrissey in particular and of course had look into his solo stuff. i'm getting more and more into Moz solo but my heart still beats for Smiths most of all and probably always will, the combination Marr-Morrissey and some rourke&joyce to that is pretty much unbeatable for me. still have some solo albums to discover though. I'm sure Morrissey's persona plays a part in my interest, but without loving the music I would quickly lose it. the fact that he's handsome is a bonus of course but i honestly don't think that makes a big difference, he's a tad old for me anyway... :p

meeting him would be awesome, I don't count on it though. am not getting many opportunities over here I'm afraid. never say never though, I was a huge fan of an actor/artist/poet a few years ago and never thought I would meet him, but I did. so who knows..

Back
Top Bottom