Hand In Glove

Irregular Regular

Forget my fate.
I've just bought another copy of the original Hand In Glove 7" (RT131).
I now have 4 different versions as per the 2 photos attached:

1) Manchester address, Sleeve by The Smiths, Glad Hips 1983 on label
2) London address, Sleeve by Morrissey, Glad Hips 1983 on label
3) London address, Sleeve by The Smiths, Warner Bros Music 1984 on label, push-out center
4) No address, Sleeve by The Smiths, Warner Bros Music 1984 on label, solid center

Which is the rarest of these 4? I had never seen a copy of Hand In Glove with a push-out center in the past and was really pleased when I found it. Is it rare?

Cheers,

I.R.

PS: Still looking for the elusive 'negative' sleeve...

Last edited:
There was a discussion some time back... http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=76545&highlight=address+hand+glove With a nice animation from Grim (anyone remember Grim? Wonder what happened to him :lbf:)

According to Elvisje
From the top of my head the manchester address is supposed to be a run of 5000 copies, although judging by the number of copies that turn up on Ebay, it could easily be more. It isn't all that rare. The hardest one to get hold of in terms of addresses is the no-address version, but that could also be because the sellers usually dont decribe such details in the auction. The London address is widely available. I haven't paid much attention to the "sleeve by Morrissey- sleeve by The Smiths part."​

Like he said... I haven't paid much attention :D

Dave

There was a discussion some time back... http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=76545&highlight=address+hand+glove With a nice animation from Grim (anyone remember Grim? Wonder what happened to him :lbf:)

According to Elvisje
From the top of my head the manchester address is supposed to be a run of 5000 copies, although judging by the number of copies that turn up on Ebay, it could easily be more. It isn't all that rare. The hardest one to get hold of in terms of addresses is the no-address version, but that could also be because the sellers usually dont decribe such details in the auction. The London address is widely available. I haven't paid much attention to the "sleeve by Morrissey- sleeve by The Smiths part."​

Like he said... I haven't paid much attention :D

Dave

Thanks Dave.
I am particularly keen to find out about the push-out center version, does anyone know whether this is widely available or not?

Also what was the release / re-release running order?

My understanding is as follows:

1st issue = Manchester address (glad hips)
2nd issue = London address (glad hips)
3rd issue = London address, push-out center (warner bros music)
4th issue = no address, solid center (warner bros music)

I would appreciate it if anyone could confirm.

Cheers,

I.R.

Some seller on Ebay said that he have HIG Manchester with paper sleeve (no cardboard) and very first HIGs (100-200) came with papersleeve?
Does anyone know more??

Some seller on Ebay said that he have HIG Manchester with paper sleeve (no cardboard) and very first HIGs (100-200) came with papersleeve?
Does anyone know more??

I've never seen a HIG in a paper sleeve, I don't believe it exists.

Cheers,

I.R.

Same here but let's see...

Do you know did RT UK release 2 versions of every Smiths 7"...I mean pushout & solid centre?

Same here but let's see...

Do you know did RT UK release 2 versions of every Smiths 7"...I mean pushout & solid centre?

I'm no expert on these matters but... Rough Trade was a record label, not a record pressing factory, as a label, Rough trade probably used the services of a number of record factories to press each record.

Which factory was chosen by Rough Trade to press the records probably owed more to who it owed the least money to. Whether this factory had presses for solid centres or push out centres was probably, in the main, a random thing - or certainly something that wasn't at the forefront of the staff at Rough Trade.

I know in Peepholism, Jo Slee said that Morrissey insisted on push outs for a certain release, but I suspect in the main it was out of his control.

One of the beauties of collecting Smiths items is the fact that Rough Trade were independent, had no money and kind of made it up as they went - this is why there are so many discrepancies and errors, and why us sad badgers get excited about it.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

Dave

1st issue = Manchester address (glad hips)
2nd issue = London address (glad hips)
3rd issue = London address, push-out center (warner bros music)
4th issue = no address, solid center (warner bros music)

These are the variations I'm aware of, I doubt one is significantly rarer than the other. I'm missing the (2nd) sleeve by Morrissey one if anyone has a spare, I wouldn't mind if the sleeve was misprinted:)

Does anyone else own a copy with a push-out center?
Stephane, would you be able to shed some light on this topic?
Thank you.

I.R.

I have one with a push-out center, no 3 on your list.

I have the same.

i have never seen a paper sleeve HIG either.

though there is apparently a push out centre dated 1983 but i havent seen one of those either.

the ebay member who claimed to have a paper sleeve also claimed to have a negative HIG and used a photo of a well known Solo members copy in his claim.

:rolleyes:

Sorry guys, now that you talk about it : why was the push-out center created in the first place?
Thanks a million for an explanation:rolleyes:
Cheers Moz

Does anyone else own a copy with a push-out center?
Stephane, would you be able to shed some light on this topic?

I've nothing to add to what has already been said. I've had four different versions pass through my hands through the years, and they are the same ones reported here.

I've never heard of a paper sleeve one, I very much doubt such a thing really exists.

Stephane

Andy Rourke told me that the very first edition of Hand In Glove were misprint and had to be redone.

He said the problem with those is that you could barely see the words "The Smiths" and "Hand In Glove" printed on the cover. Depending on how you held it against the light you could see the words were there, but just by looking at the cover, you couldn't see anything.

So they decided to print the covers all over again.

I have no idea how many of these were printed, but I doubt any of these copies survived.

I have just bought another 2 copies of Hand in Glove so these are the versions I have got so far :

HIG Solid Center, Manchester Address , sleeve by Morrissey
HIG Solid Center, Manchester Address, sleeve by The Smiths
HIG Push out Center, London Address, sleeve by The Smiths
HIG Solid Center , London Address, sleeve by Morrissey

Now looking for the copy with no address at all.:rolleyes:

Cheers Moz

A quick looks shows that I have:

HIG Solid Center, Manchester Address , sleeve by The Smiths (x2)
HIG Solid Center, No Address, sleeve by The Smiths (x2)
HIG Solid Center, London Address, sleeve by The Smiths

That means, by my reckoning, I'm still missing:

HIG Push out Center, London Address, sleeve by The Smiths
HIG Solid Center , London Address, sleeve by Morrissey
HIG Solid Center, Manchester Address , sleeve by Morrissey

Plus the negative sleeve, obviously.....

That means there are seven variations, unless I've got it wrong?

Keep in mind that at various points Rough Trade paired leftover sleeves with leftover records from a different pressing, so technically you shouldn't count the same sleeve with different records inside as different versions.

Stephane

Back
Top Bottom