ALBUMS & GIGS

F

fat boy

I want to go and blow some cash on some new albums soon. Need some good suggestions. Also who's good to see at a gig (South Blighty)?

Who buys music anymore?

People still buy music? I'm shocked. I haven't bought an official CD in years. Download and burn the tunes. That way if they suck, which most do, you can toss the penny CD.

twat

i'm sorry but that is disgraceful are you 12 years old if you like music then you pay. i hate you taking copies it is why bands don't make money and is why no one has the need for moz anymore!!!! if you want an album then buy it

Re: twat

I think you're being a bit harsh. There is absolutely nothing wrong with checking out an album online to see if it's worth buying. I hardly think you can blame Morrissey's lack of a record deal on music pirating, especially since the mainstream peer to peer technology was still in an infant stage when his last proper album was released. Let's be honest here. Morrissey has very few casual fans. Most people who like Morrissey own just about every release. I don't think you'll find very many Moz fans who download and burn his albums. Furthermore, record sales have actually increased on the whole since peer to peer file sharing came into vogue. Yet the prices keep climbing. Seriously, who wants to spend $20 on a crappy album that has maybe two decent songs on it (not that I listen to bands who have so few good songs)? I'd be in favor of pay services that provide mp3s for download, so long as they aren't exorbitant. So far, the record companies have been greedy. I recall hearing that they want something like two dollars a song. Yeah, right. Other than the high price, it's a pretty good idea, because that way, you can just download the songs you want. However, if you want to hear the whole album before buying, you're out of luck. I rarely download music, and when I do, it's only until I have the extra cash to plunk down on the actual album (except for bootlegs). Then the music gets erased.

You are a fool

> i'm sorry but that is disgraceful are you 12 years old if you like music
> then you pay. i hate you taking copies it is why bands don't make money
> and is why no one has the need for moz anymore!!!! if you want an album
> then buy it

I pay to watch shows. Then the band really gets paid dumb ass. Otherwise the labels get fat cash while the band gets maybe a dollar or two for a $16 unit?. Any real touring act cleans up on the road not in the local record store. Radiohead (the best band in the world) openly advocates downloading. Thats good enough for me.

> i'm sorry but that is disgraceful are you 12 years old if you like music
> then you pay. i hate you taking copies it is why bands don't make money
> and is why no one has the need for moz anymore!!!! if you want an album
> then buy it

oh come on! bands know that when you download the few songs you can find and like them, you will buy the cd. its f***ers like you that brought down napster, you want to know the truth? every song that i downloaded from napster, that i liked, i bought the cd. its a test drive, so to speak....so how about you get off that high horse you rode in on and f*** off?

Re: Who buys music anymore?

> People still buy music? I'm shocked. I haven't bought an official CD in
> years. Download and burn the tunes. That way if they suck, which most do,
> you can toss the penny CD.

You must be listening to the wrong stuff if you find music so uninspiring.

I do & suggestions

INTERPOL turn on the bright lights (not new but definetely kicking ass)(MATADOR)
RADIO 4 gotham (CITY SLANG/V2)
EVAN DANDO baby i'm bored (SETANTA)
GO BETWEENS bright yellow bright orange (CIRCUS)
ATHLETE release their lp in a few days and have really cool singles (dont know the label)

Good on ya, RM!!!!

People like that are the reason we're not getting any more Morrissey albums!

Piracy is killing music. Period.

Re: You are a dangerous moron

> I pay to watch shows. Then the band really gets paid dumb ass. Otherwise
> the labels get fat cash while the band gets maybe a dollar or two for a
> $16 unit?. Any real touring act cleans up on the road not in the local
> record store. Radiohead (the best band in the world) openly advocates
> downloading. Thats good enough for me.

radiohead can afford to advocate downloading. If you want to see decent artists being supported by mainstream labels, then you have to support the labels. The idea that musicians could sustain a living of their earnings from live shows is patently ludicrous.

That's fine, but it's not what this Mega Bytes person was advocating.

Mr Bad (mood?)
That's not what this Mega Bytes person was advocating. The industry is seriously becoming hobbled by piracy and it's reducing the range and quality of music which makes it to release.
For every respbonsible pirate such as yourself, there are ten irresponsible ones who are pirating instead of purchasing. I'm glad Napster is dead, and I hope the same happens to all these other similar sites.
Copyright is the backbone of artistic endeavour. Damage it and you will damage the range and quality of the art on offer.
Just ask Moz about that...

Re: I do & suggestions

> INTERPOL turn on the bright lights (not new but definetely kicking
> ass)(MATADOR)
> RADIO 4 gotham (CITY SLANG/V2)
> EVAN DANDO baby i'm bored (SETANTA)
> GO BETWEENS bright yellow bright orange (CIRCUS)
> ATHLETE release their lp in a few days and have really cool singles (dont
> know the label)

Thanks pal, those were the kind of stuff I was thinking of - Evan Dando, Go-Betweens, Althete et all. The White Stripes new one is supposed to be cracking as well.

> Thanks pal, those were the kind of stuff I was thinking of - Evan Dando,
> Go-Betweens, Althete et all. The White Stripes new one is supposed to be
> cracking as well.

I recommend the Go-Betweens album too - they're also touring at the moment and are very good live.

Some other recent-ish releases I liked were:

Massive Attack - 100th Window
Nick Cave - Nocturama
Aphex Twin - 26 Mixes for Cash
Autechre - Draft 7.30 (I think this isn't actually out until Monday)
Teenage Fanclub - Four Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty Six Seconds (a best-of compilation)
Edwyn Collins - Doctor Syntax (this has been out a while, but I just got it recently)
Roddy Frame - Surf (ditto)
Turin Brakes - Ether Song
Placebo - Sleeping With Ghosts
- The 30th Anniversary 2CD "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars Live"

> I recommend the Go-Betweens album too - they're also touring at the moment
> and are very good live.

> Some other recent-ish releases I liked were:

> Massive Attack - 100th Window
> Nick Cave - Nocturama
> Aphex Twin - 26 Mixes for Cash
> Autechre - Draft 7.30 (I think this isn't actually out until Monday)
> Teenage Fanclub - Four Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty Six Seconds (a
> best-of compilation)
> Edwyn Collins - Doctor Syntax (this has been out a while, but I just got
> it recently)
> Roddy Frame - Surf (ditto)
> Turin Brakes - Ether Song
> Placebo - Sleeping With Ghosts
> - The 30th Anniversary 2CD "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
> Live"

The Massive Attack new one is disappointing, and so is the Turin Brakes one. the rest of those look pretty good, the new White Stripes is superb.

Re: You are a dangerous moron

> radiohead can afford to advocate downloading. If you want to see decent
> artists being supported by mainstream labels, then you have to support the
> labels. The idea that musicians could sustain a living of their earnings
> from live shows is patently ludicrous.

god I hate Radiohead.

How could anyone hate Radiohead ?

Conversation at the hairdressers (shamelessly ripped off from Forever Delayed) :
Jonny: "So, love, going anywhere nice on your holidays?"
Thom: Shut up! SHUT UP SHUT UP

pic104752.jpg

> I want to go and blow some cash on some new albums soon. Need some good
> suggestions. Also who's good to see at a gig (South Blighty)?

Just gig away and you'll find your heaven.. doesn't matter who, just get those dancing shoes polished and go have fun.. The darkness on staurday if your'e abouT!

Back
Top Bottom