Why don't the USA support other nations' right to self-determination?

chica

v2.0
Of all countries, the USA should have most understanding and support for the people of South Ossetia. They didn't want to be a part of Georgia so they fought for independence. Georgia disregarded their wishes and it still considers South Ossetia a part of its sovereign territory. The right thing for the USA to do is to recognize the independence of South Ossetia. But instead, they support Georgia's claim.

I'm disappointed. Why are they doing that, don't they have any principles in conducting their foreign policy?

Yes, this was a sarcastic post.

Re: Why don't the USA suppport other nations' right to self-determination?

I suppose they don't have oil in that part of the world;)

Jukebox Jury

Of all countries, the USA should have most understanding and support for the people of South Ossetia. They didn't want to be a part of Georgia so they fought for independence. Georgia disregarded their wishes and it still considers South Ossetia a part of its sovereign territory. The right thing for the USA to do is to recognize the independence of South Ossetia. But instead, they support Georgia's claim.

I'm disappointed. Why are they doing that, don't they have any principles in conducting their foreign policy?

Yes, this was a sarcastic post.
Well, that's because...

USA #1

Yes, this was a sarcastic post as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

American Know How
"Let's Build Us Some Hurting Bombs"

Last edited by a moderator:

America is not the world, but thinks it is!

America is not the world, but thinks it is!

Yeah and there are quite a few of you out there that bitch about us until you want something from us or claim that we should assist you.

Those are the comments that make me seriously reconsider my opinion on closing the gates so to speak.

Yay 4,600.

Yeah and there are quite a few of you out there that bitch about us until you want something from us or claim that we should assist you.

Those are the comments that make me seriously reconsider my opinion on closing the gates so to speak.

Yay 4,600.

Touchy touchy! You can criticise my country all you like and I would probably agree with most of what you were saying, but if we criticise the good old US of A you really don't like it! All nations are good and bad in parts.

Touchy touchy! You can criticise my country all you like and I would probably agree with most of what you were saying, but if we criticise the good old US of A you really don't like it! All nations are good and bad in parts.

I really have nothing to say about the UK as I do not live there. However as I have stated many times over to tears and boredom, it seems very popular to bash America and at the same time proclaim what we should and should not be doing while all the meanwhile- you don't live here do you?

What you claim as being touchy I claim as being bored as to hearing what someone else's opinion who does not even live within the borders of my country say what my elected government should and should not do with MY tax dollars.

I really have nothing to say about the UK as I do not live there. However as I have stated many times over to tears and boredom, it seems very popular to bash America and at the same time proclaim what we should and should not be doing while all the meanwhile- you don't live here do you?

What you claim as being touchy I claim as being bored as to hearing what someone else's opinion who does not even live within the borders of my country say what my elected government should and should not do with MY tax dollars.

I hope you're not saying that you shouldn't recognize South Ossetia as a sovereign state.

Everyone has the right to an opinion, I'm sorry mine bores you so much.

I hope you're not saying that you shouldn't recognize South Ossetia as a sovereign state.

Personally speaking? I do not care either way. It is up for the Russians, Georgians and Ossetians (?) to work out amongst themselves.

Personally speaking? There is a reason that no state within the United States has attempted to secede from our union since South Carolina tried pulling that move about 150 years ago.

Hey there Chica, you don't waste any time, do you? ;)

Personally speaking? I do not care either way. It is up for the Russians, Georgians and Ossetians (?) to work out amongst themselves.

Personally speaking? There is a reason that no state within the United States has attempted to secede from our union since South Carolina tried pulling that move about 150 years ago.

So the USA don't allow secession of their federal states and of provinces of their allies, but they'll support anybody's secession from the countries they perceive as their enemies. Cute. What's the word for that, hypocrisy?

Everyone has the right to an opinion, I'm sorry mine bores you so much.

No that is not quite true.
Especially when everyone's opinion is not of equal value. No matter what they tried to teach the kids in kindergarten everyone's opinion is NOT worthy or even equal.

Example

If you are going to tell me that one of the secret allusions in McClean's American Pie concerns the loss of the Space Shuttle Challenger I am going to laugh at you as the song was written before the Space shuttle had even lifted off.

As stated before. I find it fascinating how the rest of the world continually criticizes US Foreign Policy yet is quick to say who we should and should not be helping based upon the interests from a third party who has no ties to the US or the country in need of assistance. Why don't you focus on what your country should be doing?

So the USA don't allow secession of their federal states and of provinces of their allies, but they'll support anybody's secession from the countries they perceive as their enemies. Cute. What's the word for that, hypocrisy?

No it is called self interest and self preservation which is what we SHOULD be doing. My concern is my longterm status of my country. In fact to tell the truth too much money leaves this country when it should be used to bolster the infrastructure within our borders before we strengthen someone else's country. The American Dollar is getting killed due to foreign policy and intervention while all the while too many people who benefit from what the United States does criticizes us at the same time.

You cannot help a drowning man unless you are strong enough to carry both you and he to shore. Otherwise you will both drown.

No that is not quite true.
Especially when everyone's opinion is not of equal value. No matter what they tried to teach the kids in kindergarten everyone's opinion is NOT worthy or even equal.

Example

If you are going to tell me that one of the secret allusions in McClean's American Pie concerns the loss of the Space Shuttle Challenger I am going to laugh at you as the song was written before the Space shuttle had even lifted off.

As stated before. I find it fascinating how the rest of the world continually criticizes US Foreign Policy yet is quick to say who we should and should not be helping based upon the interests from a third party who has no ties to the US or the country in need of assistance. Why don't you focus on what your country should be doing?

So tell me when exactly did I criticise US Foreign Policy as my memory evades me?

No it is called self interest and self preservation which is what we SHOULD be doing. My concern is my longterm status of my country. In fact to tell the truth too much money leaves this country when it should be used to bolster the infrastructure within our borders before we strengthen someone else's country. The American Dollar is getting killed due to foreign policy and intervention while all the while too many people who benefit from what the United States does criticizes us at the same time.

You cannot help a drowning man unless you are strong enough to carry both you and he to shore. Otherwise you will both drown.

When did we stop talking about the same thing? I've no idea what that has to do with the right to self-determination.

It's simple: a country has a foreign policy. It states that it believes in nations' right to self-determination. So when people inhabiting a certain region of a certain country try to secede, the country we're talking about helps them by, oh I don't know, bombing the country they're trying to secede from? or at least by not helping that country. When the region proclaims independence, the country we're talking about recognizes it as a sovereign state.

Isn't that American foreign policy?

south ossetia? where is that in georgia? near atlanta? :p

Back
Top Bottom