Thats how people grow up promo cds

Unlikely One

Hi folks. Does anyone have any idea how many promos are knocking around for this release. I noticed a couple being sold on ebay. One without artwork and one with maroon and blue disc and Moz in West Ham shirt pic. The latter is a nice item but sold for £51. Is it really that much of a rarity?

Hi, I've seen several of these on ebay recently, so i dont think it's rare. I'm relatively sure the prices for this item will go down as soon as the CD single is released. 51 GBP is crazy!! I paid 12,50 GBP for mine (w/artwork) on ebay, still quite a lot for this promo.

i snared the 1st one that came on ebay for 28 english pounds. i suppose these items are only worth what the individual who wants it will pay;)

I think it's impossible to say how many are out there. But if they went through the expense of actually pressing cds (vs doing the CD-R thing that Sanctuary loved) and making artwork there are probably quite a few out. Prices will plummet once the song is officially released. Happens every time.

i suppose these items are only worth what the individual who wants it will pay;)

I wish people would stop saying this, as if it's some unique kernal of wisdom.

Two things usually happen when a promo comes out. The first few sell for large sums on eBay, until it's realized how many billions are out there. Everyone who wants one now has one, so the value drops like a stone.

Or, weeks/months after release, it's realized the item is much rarer than originally thought, and people reflect back when it "only" sold for XX pounds/dollars.

The former happens much more often than the latter.

I wish people would stop saying this, as if it's some unique kernal of wisdom.

Two things usually happen when a promo comes out. The first few sell for large sums on eBay, until it's realized how many billions are out there. Everyone who wants one now has one, so the value drops like a stone.

Or, weeks/months after release, it's realized the item is much rarer than originally thought, and people reflect back when it "only" sold for XX pounds/dollars.

The former happens much more often than the latter.

It is very much true though. Price is determined by what the market will sustain. People are always asking me what something is worth to which I reply go to eBay and check completed auctions to see.

That's How People Us Promo

As a fellow collector I thought I'd let you know

the US version in the jewel case that recently sold for the obscene amount of over 120 on ebay is limited to 200

I talked to the lady who made them today.

So there you go...there are only 200 of them

Re: That's How People Us Promo

Thanks for the info!
The first (I think) promo for greatest hits sold for 161 usd on e-bay.
One of us here got lucky and picked up the US promo for a lot less than 120 usd (saw one that sold for 26 I think). Big congrats on that!

As a fellow collector I thought I'd let you know

the US version in the jewel case that recently sold for the obscene amount of over 120 on ebay is limited to 200

I talked to the lady who made them today.

So there you go...there are only 200 of them

you mean this promo here?:

thpgu_promo.jpg

Nice one!

you mean this promo here?:

thpgu_promo.jpg

Is it the reverse cover that makes this limited to 200? It is completly different to the one I bought. Does the CD loo the same as the UK one - kind of blue & Purple squares?

There's an Irish one on ebay at the moment http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MORRISSEY-Tha...oryZ1049QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

No idea if it is different from the UK version. I bought a UK one on eBay for £15...there seems to have been a lot of those up for sale...they are going for about £6 now :(

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

so is this the rare promo/ the pictured one above by Flax?

Yes, it is. :)

I thought he Photoshopped it!

haha no! See? You never believe what I say! :(
This is the actual US promo.

----------------------

Dave,
The UK promo comes in a slim jewel case, and the back cover is the blue and burgundy squares and circles.

2007_thatshowpeoplecd_promo_1.jpg
2007_thatshowpeoplecd_promo_2.jpg

The US promo comes in a regular jewel case, with that black and white artwork in the back. The US version seems to be rarer, however the UK version looks MUCH better.

2007_thatshowpeoplecd_uspromo_1.jpg
2007_thatshowpeoplecd_uspromo_2.jpg

If you want both, go for it, but if you're not a serious collector and just wants to have one of these promos, I recommend the UK cd. Much cheaper and looks much better.

Last edited:

Yes, it is. :)

----------------------

Dave,
The UK promo comes in a slim jewel case, and the back cover is the blue and burgundy squares and circles.

2007_thatshowpeoplecd_promo_1.jpg
2007_thatshowpeoplecd_promo_2.jpg

The US promo comes in a regular jewel case, with that black and white artwork in the back. The US version seems to be rarer, however the UK version looks MUCH better.

2007_thatshowpeoplecd_uspromo_1.jpg
2007_thatshowpeoplecd_uspromo_2.jpg

If you want both, go for it, but if you're not a serious collector and just wants to have one of these promos, I recommend the UK cd. Much cheaper and looks much better.

Thanks for that Flax - I suppose I was also curious to know if the CD itself was the same burgundy and blue style or is it a diferent design?

In terms of being a serious collector...I'm not up for collecting every country's versions, I'm more interested in the artwork - if it is different then I'll want it (like the 4 versions of "Stop Me.." look great framed like Andy Warhol) but I do have at least one copy of every single (7", 12" & CD)and every album of the Smiths and Morrissey plus an assortment of promos (not quite complete) and other stuff. In fact I was showing my collection to a friend the other night he was quite bowled over...he asked me what would I do if the house caught fire...I panicked...posters first...then records...and then remembered that I'd get my daughter and partner out first :)

Last edited:

Thanks for that Flax - I suppose I was also curious to know if the CD itself was the same burgundy and blue style or is it a diferent design?

In terms of being a serious collector...I'm not up for collecting every country's versions, I'm more interested in the artwork - if it is different then I'll want it (like the 4 versions of "Stop Me.." look great framed like Andy Warhol) but I do have at least one copy of every single (7", 12" & CD)and every album of the Smiths and Morrissey plus an assortment of promos (not quite complete) and other stuff. In fact I was showing my collection to a friend the other night he was quite bowled over...he asked me what would I do if the house caught fire...I panicked...posters first...then records...and then remembered that I'd get my daughter and partner out first :)

hahah I guess you're like me then... interested in the artworks. I don't have many posters though... I guess it's because I move around so much and I would never really get the opportunity to put them on the walls. Maybe someday, eh.

As for the cd, the US version is one of those cheap CDRs, with black letters on top. I'll take a photo and send it to you when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom