is Your Arsenal lacking in something? i think so...

zither

hi everyone,

i'm expecting to recive a fair ammount of insults after what i'm going to say, fair enough. i do think, listening Your arsenal in loop, that it lacks in... how shall i put this?... uniformity. i'm thinking of "Vauxhall & I" that has the same mood. out of "Your Arsenal" u can make 3 perfect EPs. 1 from the first 4 songs [there are songs such as "you are gonna..." e "Glamours glue" that sound the same], another one from "You are the one for me" "Tomorrow" and "We hate", pretty rockabilly [if you want you can add "I know it's gonna happen" that reminds us the golden 50s]. that said, i adore the album but i can listen to it properly when my mood swings.
what do you think?

As was said before, it all boils down to personal taste. I like "Your Arsenal" a lot, but I don't think its a very coherent album. There many great songs on it "Seasick, Yet Still Docked", "Tomorrow" etc pepe but for some reason they don't go together very well.

Just my opinion.

As was said before, it all boils down to personal taste. I like "Your Arsenal" a lot, but I don't think its a very coherent album. There many great songs on it "Seasick, Yet Still Docked", "Tomorrow" etc pepe but for some reason they don't go together very well.

Just my opinion.

i think you mean cohesive, not coherent. ;)

but yes, i agree. it doesnt flow like Vauxhall does (with slower, sweeter songs) or how Southpaw does (with its rockin songs). the songs in Your Arsenal however, individually they can all stand on their own. almost all of them could be singles. but yes, it is a bit all over the place, but since the songs are so good, its still one of my favorite Moz albums to listen to.

it is all personal taste really, I think that Vauxhall doesn't flow as good as Arsenal. and nugz, whoo girl what are you doing even mentioning Southpaw, the only thing that album does for me is flow right down the drain as I'm taking a piss is when I think of it.

Thanks nugz, i meant "cohesive" (English is difficult...) :). And "Southpaw" is my second favourite Moz album after "Maladjusted". No joke.

Thanks nugz, i meant "cohesive" (English is difficult...) :). And "Southpaw" is my second favourite Moz album after "Maladjusted". No joke.

its cool, i saw you were from Germany so i thought I'd help ya out. :) english is difficult, sometimes for ENGLISH speakers (see Morrissey2007's threads :rolleyes:)

wow I thought I was a weird Mozz fan (I mean this as in more weird than the rest of you weirdos ;) ) - but you have Maladjusted and Southpaw 1 and 2?

this just shows you how different albums speak to different folks thanks so much for saying that though - because all the Vauxhall lovers(nuthuggers) may start chiming in.

it is all personal taste really, I think that Vauxhall doesn't flow as good as Arsenal. and nugz, whoo girl what are you doing even mentioning Southpaw, the only thing that album does for me is flow right down the drain as I'm taking a piss is when I think of it.

Southpaw is the only album Morrissey that balls-out rocks. By Morrissey's standards, it's practically avant-garde--turning the band loose for extended jams. And what glorious jams they are. "Southpaw" completes an unbelievably trifecta of rocking closing tracks, together with "Tomorrow" and "Speedway."

honestly, i'd rather listen to Southpaw over ROTT anyday!

Morrissey's albums tend to be more diverse affairs than most artists. I prefer this. I find the trend for todays "serious" artists to make sure all the songs on their albums are in the same tempo and to sound exactly the same a bit offputting.

Bleh, I agree to a point about Southpaw, but if I want to listen to some 'jam' sessions I'll put on flannel and check out a Pearl Jam concert...

The only "mistake" Morrissey made with Your Arsenal was the choice of Singles....

You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side, The National Front Disco, and Tomorrow are obviously much better choices than the ones that were released....

Southpaw is the only album Morrissey that balls-out rocks. By Morrissey's standards, it's practically avant-garde--turning the band loose for extended jams. And what glorious jams they are. "Southpaw" completes an unbelievably trifecta of rocking closing tracks, together with "Tomorrow" and "Speedway."

And "The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils" is the best album opener EVER. In my view. :o

hi everyone,

i'm expecting to recive a fair ammount of insults after what i'm going to say, fair enough. i do think, listening Your arsenal in loop, that it lacks in... how shall i put this?... uniformity. i'm thinking of "Vauxhall & I" that has the same mood. out of "Your Arsenal" u can make 3 perfect EPs. 1 from the first 4 songs [there are songs such as "you are gonna..." e "Glamours glue" that sound the same], another one from "You are the one for me" "Tomorrow" and "We hate", pretty rockabilly [if you want you can add "I know it's gonna happen" that reminds us the golden 50s]. that said, i adore the album but i can listen to it properly when my mood swings.
what do you think?

I think that the two atrocious singles - "We Hate It..." and "Fatty" - bring down the entire album. But if you remove them from the mix, it's quite excellent.

Just my opinion.

It's also PEPPY, not pepe like Pepe Le Pew :)

I think that the two atrocious singles - "We Hate It..." and "Fatty" - bring down the entire album. But if you remove them from the mix, it's quite excellent.

I definately agree concerning "Fatty", but ''We hate it when our friends
become succesfull" is a good single/tune, comparing HIS masterpiece
first single 'The more you ignore me, the closer I get"' ...which is the
weakest song on Vauxhall&I...but He had major chartsucces with it in the
States [his highest singlechart till this day I believe] which I find laughable.

Back
Top Bottom