No attitude towards old Smiths fan.

MozhallandI

There are some who need to quit giving old Smiths fans grief for coming to Moz shows and not knowing all the songs, like their not worthy of being in the same venue as Morrisey.
I started listening to The Smiths in 1986 and continued to listen to Morrisey solo to this day. I was Lucky enough to catch the Myrtle Beach show in July and it was great, one of the best shows I've seen. Doesn't Moz play 5 or 6 Smith songs a show still? Doesn't he almost always open with a Smiths song(he did on every show of his summer tour) and most shows end with a Smiths song. Why does he do this? I guess he appreciates the fans who helped him get to where he is today. Oh, and maybe he still loves the songs he helped create! I'm pretty sure that almost all of his sales of "Viva Hate" were to Smiths fans.
I know most Moz fans understand this, but there obviously some who don't. Let's all just enjoy the great work of Morrissey and appreciate the fact that we are all fans.
I'd be curious to see what the man himself has to say about this.

P.S. We were lucky to get the bottom half of Boz's set list after the Myrtle Beach show. He threw it as a paper airplane. What a night!

Can you give examples of what you're talking about?

If possible, please scan your setlist and post. Thanks

I think it is possible to read all sorts of comments on here, but don't worry about the few that post something rude.

It's the new young Smiths fans I can't stand.
Where were you all in '83 when we were freezing in the Hacienda and slipping on mushed up flower porridge on the floor?

"Not born" is their excuse.
Pah! We could all say that.
If we weren't born.
Etc.

Where were you all in '83 when we were freezing in the Hacienda and slipping on mushed up flower porridge on the floor?

If we weren't born.
Etc.

what's that supposed to mean? :confused:

admittingly , i fall into the category of an "old smiths fan"...ive been a smiths/moz fan since 86..i am not a big fan of ringleaders , but will not knock those that are...im just glad this man is still making music ...

I'm a younger fan but I like the fact the fans from the old days still go!

If we weren't born.
Etc.

Oh, what a complete load of bollocks.
What difference does it make? (sic)
Young fans are fans just like the older ones, with the disadvantage that we never got to see the Smiths live. It doesn't make you more of a fan because you were fortunate enough to have been born at the right time, you snobby elitist pillock. Regarding young fans - It's still one more teenager listening to Morrissey rather than Rhianna, isn't it?!

To be honest it amazes me how young the fans are who like Moz and The Smiths. Being more Morrissey's age I think it's great that young people who weren't around to appreciate The Smiths still like them. I was too young to see The Beatles but that doesn't stop me liking them (well some of their music). What's the big deal. Whenever you discovered The Smiths or Morrissey solo just be happy that you did!

Oh, what a complete load of bollocks.
What difference does it make? (sic)
Young fans are fans just like the older ones, with the disadvantage that we never got to see the Smiths live. It doesn't make you more of a fan because you were fortunate enough to have been born at the right time, you snobby elitist pillock. Regarding young fans - It's still one more teenager listening to Morrissey rather than Rhianna, isn't it?!

very well said

The point of this thread I originally posted was to say a fan is a fan. Let's be happy there are enough fans of the Smiths and Moz to keep him touring. (He is without contract right now) Don't be like, "oh and then there were some old Smiths fan's who knew the words to like 4 songs and just got drunk the rest of the time" (Referencing Birmingham and Atlanta) They still paid their 50 dollars. The best show of the tour was the next night in Myrtle Beach. It was definitely the most polite crowd I've been a part of and I've been to several hundred shows. Keep on Rolling Morrissey!

If we weren't born.
Etc.

I`m an "old":( fan...however Morrissey himself reaches out to new young fans and thats is what makes it all worthwhile.To welcome new disciples into the fold.

I would love to spend a night in the pub with a load of die hards though.No one i know loves Morrissey.

I'm a younger fan but I like the fact the fans from the old days still go!

Yeah, when we can get a babysitter... if our joints don't ache too badly... if we feel up to staying up that late... god it sucks being sooo old. ;)

Seriously, I love seeing teenagers at shows... I think the Smiths music still sounds fresh, 25 years on, and Morrissey has so much to give anyone. I think he will only be more appreciated as the years go on. He should be Britain's Poet Laureate- but he'd probably decline it. I wish he could be ours (American) but I think you have to be born here... and they have never yet chosen a lyricist anyway.

I would love to spend a night in the pub with a load of die hards though.No one i know loves Morrissey.

God, me too!
Although I am slowly converting all my friends...

One of my closest friends hates his guts so that's useless but aside from her, I have converted 5 people..

What is the world coming to when Smiths people do not detect sarcasm and irony?

I can forgive the Americans, they don't do irony or sarcasm.
But you British posters should be ashamed of yourselves for taking my earlier comment seriously.

I'll put it down to you having just escaped the egg.
Although we could all use that excuse.
If we had just escaped the egg.
Like what you must just have done.

I`m an "old":( fan...however Morrissey himself reaches out to new young fans and thats is what makes it all worthwhile.To welcome new disciples into the fold.

Being an old fan myself ('84), I have been chastised throughout my life for following him because he's considered somber. I wonder if the new, teenage fans get the same criticism from their peers?

I completely agree with the sentiment of the original poster. I was a member of a New York Dolls forum and the newer fans were always treated to the old, "You weren't there, so you CAN'T be as big a fan of their music as I am!"

Well, first of all, anyone who says that is a complete loser. What the hell gives some 50 year old guy the right to tell some zit-faced 15 year old that he doesn't count?! We all have the music, we all look at the websites...we are all fans. Who gives a crap if the stretch-marked mother of three standing in front of you at the concert only knows "How Soon Is Now?" She paid her money (which keeps the bands coming back). She has the CD's (which gives the bands royalties). Maybe she even bought a t-shirt!

All fans are good fans.

Back
Top Bottom