best start/best end

zither

which is the best start song and the best end song in whole Morrissey catalogue?
for me:
Now my heart is full - You know I couldn't last

You're Gonna Need someone on Your Side/Satan Rejected My soul

The Smiths:
Reel Around The Fountain - Suffer Little Children

Moz Solo:
Now My Heart Is Full - Southpaw

I Can't decide between Now My Heart Is Full and You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side for start. Best end is Southpaw.

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead and Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others.

I chose as best end song "You know I couldn't last" cuz is a cool song and cuz i didn't want to pick the end song from the same record of the start song. i don't know why I forgot "Satan rejected my soul"!
so:
best start song - Now my heart is full
best end song - Satan rejected my soul

Why it's the opening and closing songs of "Vauxhall & I," of course.

Honorable mentions to the openers of "Maladjusted" and "Southpaw Grammar," and the closing of "You Are The Quarry." Especially for the squalor of the mind send off.

i have to speak up for alsatian cousin! WERE YOU AND HE LOVERS? and would you say so if you were?
there, i did it.

mis anyos mozos said:
i have to speak up for alsatian cousin! WERE YOU AND HE LOVERS? and would you say so if you were?
there, i did it.

On a forecourt, on a Friday, passing my way, ohhhhhhhh.............:p

is that the best you could do??

hah.

beginning - Playboys
finale - i won't share you

Benton said:
Couldn't agree more with your first choice, couldn't disagree more with your second.

Benton, you're a respected poster -- maybe you can articulate what it is that you (and many people) don't seem to like about You Know I Couldn't...?

I don't think it's Morrissey's greatest album closer of all time, but it has some nice crooning "don't let the blue eyes fool you," some Ronson-esque guitars (similar to Pigsty's) and the piano (though not a real one, perhaps) gives the track a kind of resignation.

The change in vocal register at the end is great ("The squalor of the mind").

"The teenagers who love you / They will wake up, yawn, and kill you" is a great line, too.

I have to say though, listening to YATQ now, as much as I liked the production at the time, ROTT's is leaps and bounds ahead. Though the YATQ b-sides were almost uniformly exemplary for some reason -- can't say the same for the ROTT Bs, so far...

I think 'I Knew I Was Next' is a strong track, and it could have easily been on the album & fared better than most tracks in that recent survivor poll

Back
Top Bottom