why the drum solo to start the Operation?

Has Moz ever been asked or answered why he put that drum solo on as a long intro to the Operation? Its so out of place, its not very good or creative of a solo to go on that long, and then it switches gears as the band comes in, so its not even a long tension builder since that's not the rhythhm of the song (like say Ringo's short solo before The End on Abbey Road, not that he was a great chop drummer either).

It's well known that Moz has always had a 'thing' about drummers :o Me Too!

Morrissey plays drums also. (So do I :guitar: no drumming smiley :p)

I love the intro this song (I also understand why you compare it to Ringo's work on 'The End') I tell you - I can't wait until the Southpaw re-issue, those drums are gonna sound awesome...

I've seen a photo of Morrissey playing drums but I can't find it just now...

The answer to this is simple; because it's awesome. :guitar:

While on the topic of Moz drummers, I think Matt Walker is ace as they say. He sounds fantatsic on YOR. I think Jerry Finn probably had a ball working with him...RIP :tears:

But anyone ever notice that Matt Walker and Mr. Corbin look a bit alike...??? Think about it...

as a drummer myself, I'd love to see that!

Moz_on_Drums.jpg

mozdrums.jpg

:)

Thanks jesuisbryony for posting those pics

I quite like it, too. It was cool as the intro for the band whilst on tour in the past as well.

It may not be the most astounding example of technical prowess, but there is a nice rising tension and set of variations to the piece. The point from 2:10 until the snare pattern that falls into the main part of the song are at a fever pitch.

I guess you could ask the same question about the lengthy intro to Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me. Why the need to repeat the chords and build up the random crowd noise? Just artistic choices at the end of the day - they must have felt right to Morrissey at the time.

Cheers,

Jamie

Someone once referred to Southpaw as "the band's album". I think in a way, after the poetry and intense introspection of Vauxhall Morrissey came up with a quick lyrical "rebuttal" and let the lads rock out.

Has Moz ever been asked or answered why he put that drum solo on as a long intro to the Operation? Its so out of place, its not very good or creative of a solo to go on that long, and then it switches gears as the band comes in, so its not even a long tension builder since that's not the rhythhm of the song (like say Ringo's short solo before The End on Abbey Road, not that he was a great chop drummer either).

Also, the song may be about Mike Joyce, so it may be thematic too.

about time someone agreed with me on this. best album of the lot. in fact i'm going to listen to it in the gym later. super, smashing, great:guitar:

I hope the reissue is happening :(

I assume you have heard the "Miraval Sessions" instrumentals? Great stuff there, too.

I hope the reissue is happening :(

I assume you have heard the "Miraval Sessions" instrumentals? Great stuff there, too.

i sure have sir. i do like the original album the best, though the re-issue will be welcome. i pre ordered it last week from hmv for 8.99gbp. that practising trouble bootleg is good. i've got a copy with 13 tunes on, great quality and a great version of the operation and the teachers are afraid of the pupils:guitar:

i sure have sir. i do like the original album the best, though the re-issue will be welcome. i pre ordered it last week from hmv for 8.99gbp. that practising trouble bootleg is good. i've got a copy with 13 tunes on, great quality and a great version of the operation and the teachers are afraid of the pupils:guitar:

Just pre-ordered it meself from HMV!

I haven't heard that bootleg, but I was lucky enough to be at this gig back in the day :)

Dublin 1995

01 - Do Your Best And Don´t Worry
02 - Reader Meet Author
03 - The Boy Racer
04 - Nobody Loves Us
05 - London
06 - We´ll Let You Know
07 - Spring-Heeled Jim
08 - Dageham Dave
09 - The Operation
10 - Now My Heart Is Full
11 - Speedway