News Archive : Nov. 21-30, 1997
-Dagens Nyheter interview (Sweden)
-"Satan Rejected My Soul" (Sweden)
-North American Tour Ends

Nov 29 97 - Saturday

"Satan" in Sweden

Thanks to Christian Arvidson for the news of the "Satan Rejected My Soul" single being released yesterday (the 28th) in Sweden, a full month before the scheduled release date in the UK. This is an exciting time if you're a Moz enthusiast in Scandinavia, I believe this is the first time he has played there since 1991, and I believe it was only one date then.

More thanks to Christian for the nice scans of the sleeve and for his impressions on the b-sides:

Now I Am A Was 2:35 (Morrissey/S.J. Corbin) [typo on sleeve - Spencer's last name should be spelled 'Cobrin']
(It's a catchy tune with a nice chorus. I think it's a bit short, but still an excellent Morrissey track that won't leave a Morrissey fan disappointed. Is the song about the fact that Morrissey is less popular in England now than in the 80's?)

This Is Not Your Country 7:24 (Morrissey/A. Whyte)
(A quiet and soft song in a Moon River/Interlude mood. I like this song a lot. Nice strings and good acoustic guitars. Very long and indeed very good!)

satan-se-front-sm.jpg (45567 bytes)
scan by Christian Arvidson
High resolution scans of the sleeve available here

Glen Burnie, Cincinnati - info

More great summaries and stories. And more will come soon.

* Glen Burnie - thanks to Mort Shuman, Jackosuede, Sam A. Bishop, Sadia Shaw and Robert S. Rycroft for the info.

* Cincinnati - thanks to Amy Franklin, Andrew and The Phubbs for the info.

Moz sells house

From Robert Holmes:

Article in the Property section of the Irish Times. The paper was thrown out before I got the chance to copy out the article but basically Morrissey has sold his house, Wellfield, on the Malahide Road in Dublin, for £800,000.

Apparently he is now looking for a house on the south side of Dublin.

Yes, this is considered 'fashion'

From Tom Nooning:

I think it was reported a little bit ago about the fashion show. I scanned in a picture from the New York Times featuring a girl in a Moz shirt on the runway.

http://www.spd.louisville.edu/~tenoon01/mozfash.jpg

Nov 27 97 - Thursday

Dagens Nyheter Interview - translated

Thanks to Jakob Hellman for the Swedish to English translation of the interview which appeared in the Nov. 23 edition of the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter. Thanks also to Christian Arvidson for providing a scan of an additional picture which appeared in the print edition.

"Satan" b-sides

From Marc Charron, news of the update on Q Magazine's daily news:

Morrissey releases a new single, Satan Rejected My Soul on 29 December. The track is taken from his album Maladjusted and features two previously unreleased b-sides - Now I Am A Was and the 7 1/2 minute acoustic track This Is Not Your Country.

Morrissey will play two UK shows this year
December 10 - Battersea Power Station
December 11 - Chester, Northgate Centre

Support on both dates is from Elcka, who have just released a debut album Rubbernecking. Morrissey will be touring the UK in the new year; dates and venues to be confirmed.

More talk of a tour next year

Now I'm hearing a lot of talk of the tour continuing next year, the UK, Japan, France and Greece have been mentioned so far. But I still remain skeptical.

From Alistair McGown:

For those desperately awaiting a handful of British dates in the New Year (not wanting or able to travel hundreds of miles to London or Chester (where???) in the middle of the week) hope springs eternal in the 'latest' from the rather badly-maintained Island Records site:

From the Elcka page:

It's already won them a staunch fan in Morrissey, who after a London gig he described as 'life-changing', offered them main support on his US tour. Likely as not they'll be hitting these shores with him in the New Year. Brace yourselves.

Will someone at Island please tell whoever's doing the website to correct the spelling of Morrissey's name on the first page? This is about the 10th time it's been misspelled on their page and it's really starting to get on my nerves now.

And from Manos Kappas in Greece:

I just heard today on KLIK FM (one of the most popular radio stations in Athens) that Moz is scheduled to play in Athens sometime in February.

Nov 26 97 - Wednesday

The last North American tour date - tonight

The first show was Toronto two and a half months ago on Sept. 12, the last show is tonight in New York City. I would like to say thanks and congratulations to everyone who has sent in information from these shows, it has been a tremendous run and I think that once it is all compiled it will be some of the best documentation of any tour, anywhere! I hope to have some time to work on the earlier dates soon.

The tour now moves to Scandinavia.

Nov 25 97 - Tuesday

Some quick notes

Thanks to the following people for the news items. Minor as they may be, I'll post them anyway, you don't mind do you?

* From Alexander Wendt, updated info on the webpage for IBD, Morrissey's German booking agency:

MORRISSEY

will only do one show in germany; Hamburg - Grosse Freiheit on Dec 8th, 97
Tickethotline: 040-433039
No shows planned in 1998, looks like Hamburg will be the last and only show for a long time.

* From Dave Prior:

On BBC1's Grandstand sports programme on Saturday there was a feature on England's ex-football manager and target for endless vitriol, Graham Taylor. What a surprise to hear "Unloveable" by The Smiths in the background. But how apt...

* From Annie Mathew:

Just wanted to let you know about a LITTLE ( I stress the word little) tid bit on Morrissey in the Nov/Dec "Jane" magazine (pg 84). It's on celebrities who abstained from sex at one point in their life. There's a tiny picture included as well.

Nov 23 97 - Sunday

"Brit Girls" documentary reports

Thanks to Stephen.B for scans from the "Brit Girls" documentary (8 total) which aired on Channel 4 this past weekend. Thanks also and congratulations to Stephen for the following:

Basically he was sitting in a car again (why are all his interviews in cars ?), paying homage to Cilla Black, 60's singer, friend of the beatles, 90's TV host of dubious quality.

He said what a major influence she was in his youth etc., etc. Then more interestingly they played an original clip of Cilla doing her 60's hit, 'Work is a 4 letter word', followed by a clip of the Smiths doing it live somewhere. Inter cut with this was some very early footage of Johnny Marr whilst Moz said it was Johnny's displeasure of doing Cilla covers that led to split of the Smiths. So there you go.

...I would be grateful if you could mention that me and my mates have a spare ticket for the Battersea show on the 10th Dec. Not only am I looking forward to it as the first London gig for a couple of years but more importantly it will be my first night out for eight weeks since gaining a daughter.

Thanks also to Naomi for the following details:

Morrissey made two appearances on this first instalment of "Brit Girls", from his car a la "Dandy In the Underworld". The first clip was pretty brief:

"Cilla is definitely a memory. She's not a modern entity at all."

About half-way through there was a short segment about The Smiths' version of "Work is a Four Letter Word" starring a clip of the song, a short piece of film footage and Johnny Rogan (+ beard). Morrissey also managed to say the following between giggles...

On the song:

"[It was] A bit of a tease... I wasn't really attempting to make a great piece of gothic art... Cilla Black, unbeknown to herself actually broke The Smiths up."

Expect more Morrissey wisdom in forthcoming episodes of the series, particularly the one dedicated to Sandie Shaw. Other programmes concentrate on Marianne Faithful - whose "Come And Stay With Me" was of course the first record Morrissey ever bought - and Lulu.

Dagens Nyheter Interview (Swedish newspaper)

Debatt1.jpg (12226 bytes)Thanks to Thomas Jönsson and Stefan Sahlander for the news of an interview appearing in Dagens Nyheter (Sunday, Nov. 23). The interview is also online (with song samples and the picture on the right) at this link.

Also, according to Stefan:

Dagens Nyheter is the biggest morning paper in Sweden and there´s a picture of Moz at the top of the front page. (So you could say that the Morrissey interview is the top news in Sweden today ;-)

...the interview was done in Park City, Utah by Nicholas Wennö.

Here's a piece of the interview translated by Stefan:

"That thing with 'miserablism' is just a big lie. People say 'If you´re depressed, listen to Morrissey´s gothic, gloomy music'. Just look at my audience, they look very healthy and are not gloomy people. They just want to hear a human voice, and that´s me"

Anyone want to translate the rest? Let me know.

* Registry updated

The registry has finally been updated and is now searchable (did you think I'd forgotten about it?). So everyone who has signed since July, up to two days ago should be included. The database engine has also been changed (now everyone has their own web page). Please check your entry to see if it made it through the conversion.

Nov 21 97 - Friday

Raleigh - info

Thanks to Brian Swatek, Avi Goldenberg, Steve Cutter, Chiefbrody, Ward Anderson, J Spencer Holm and Dan Cox for all the details on the Raleigh show.

Maintained by David Tseng. Please e-mail me with news/updates (no matter how insignificant it may seem) from the internet, music magazines, or any other source. To keep this page updated I'll need help from all you trainspotting Moz followers!

And please give credit to this page if you plan to use any information or anything else off of it.

All rights reserved. Copyright © 1997 by David Tseng