Main
Tue, Jan 19 1999
Mike Joyce still misses The Smiths

Thanks to Stephane Daigle for the following:

I was sent a copy of a new magazine from and about Western Ireland called Magpie. The issue is the November 1998 one and it includes Mike Joyce answering a short questionnaire. It is not very long, so I decided to type it for others to enjoy.

The issue also has a lengthier features on Irish immigration in Manchester, but I will not type that part, as (though it is interesting) it doesn't mention the Smiths and might only be of interest to Johnny Rogan.

To order a copy, or subscribe to the magazine, write to [email protected]

"As the most critically acclaimed and musically accomplished band of the 1980s, The Smiths are said to have changed the course of popular music. Their drummer, Mike Joyce from Manchester, is really a West of Ireland man - his father came from Galway and his mother from Portarlington (a small aberration). Mike is currently working on a new project with Liverpool's Pete Wylie."

IT MAKES LIFE WORTH LIVING
The girls in my life, Tina, Faye and Olivia.

IT MAKES LIFE HELL
When people around me are not as passionate as I am about my music.

MOST DAYS ARE...
Not long enough to do the things I want to do.

PEOPLE THINK I'M...
A thick skinned, happy go lucky eternal optimist.

I AM...
See above.

IT MAKES ME CRY
Seeing the innocent children of any war torn / impoverished / famine stricken country suffer.

IT CHANGED MY LIFE
Meeting a certain Johnny Marr, way, way back in 1982.

I'VE NEVER TOLD ANYONE THIS, BUT...
I still miss The Smiths.

IMPORTANT PEOPLE
Mam, Dad, Tina, Faye, Olivia, J Lennon, J Marr, J Rotten, Bach, G Klimy, P Mondrian, Escher, O Wilde, I Welsh, R Doyle, S Hughes, S Coogan.

IMPORTANT PLACES
Manchester, Lymm, Portarlington, Shrule.

A PERFECT DAY
Manchester City 3 - Manchester United 2. FA Cup Final 1999.

Comments / Notes (16)
Unigram merger / MTV news

Thanks to Brian for the following:

On MTV 1515 this Sunday, it is reported that there will be some major reworking of the current Mercury label and its artists. News has surfaced that Mercury will be involved in a massive merger, ultimately becoming a portion of Unigram records. It is speculated by people at The Velvet Rope (a music industry website) that artists signed to the Mercury label and other labels such as Geffen, Island, Interscope, A&M, and Def Jam, that have sold less than 200,000 units with their latest release will be dropped. Following this announcement, a caption with accompanying stills from the respective artists was displayed. Among the notable performers were: James, Girls Against Boys, and regrettably Morrissey ('Alma Matters' played in the background). Is there any confirmation to such a claim? I propose we as fans pool together our resources and start our own label so Morrissey doesn't have to bothered by this persisting nuisance.

Additionally from KB and Amy Roush, it was also noted on the program that Maladjusted has sold 78,000 copies.

I haven't heard the details but I'm pretty sure Morrissey was the one who initiated his departure from Mercury, as he stated he was attempting to do in the recent Albuquerque interview.

Comments / Notes (14)
"What Difference Does It Make?" - #77 best riff of all time

From Gwyn Catlin:

In the January issue of the British magazine World Guitar Magazine they rated the 100 best riffs of all time. The Smiths took number 77 with "What Difference Does It Make".

They go on to list the player (Marr) and the guitar used.

Comments / Notes (0)
"Reader Meet Author" - New England based email list

From Gibby:

I have started a New England based Morrissey email list for the purpose of people in the same area getting together, etc... It's called "Reader Meet Author" (RMA).

Subscribe by writing to [email protected]

and write to it by writing [email protected]

Comments / Notes (0)
Busch - "the German Smiths"

Additionally, Andy from Berlin/Germany sends:

...for the German speaking SMITHS/MOZ fans, there is a band called BUSCH from Bonn/Germany. The German Rolling Stone described the bandleader as a MORRISSEY descendant and fanzines call them the German SMITHS.

For more information take a look to my fansite called BUSCH-fieber (there are also links to the official website from BUSCH incl. an English part).

PS: The picture is the cover image from the 1st BUSCH album called "entsetzlich" (terrible).

Comments / Notes (0)

* return to Morrissey-solo