Main
Fri, Jan 1 1999
Prose Bowl 1999 - Wilde Vs. Morrissey

New Year's Day means bowl games (I know how all of you love American college football). Much thanks to Melinda Frank for compiling this 50 question quiz:

Prose Bowl 1999 - Wilde Vs. Morrissey

Can you correctly identify which quote belongs to Oscar Wilde and which belongs to Morrissey?

Take the challenge and find out how you did against others.

(results so far)

Comments / Notes (3)
The Trouble - Nobody Laughs Anymore

From B|aTz:

I know this band has been on here before, but I just bought The Trouble's CD, Nobody Laughs Anymore (I'm a loyal Boston punk fan), and when I flipped it over, there's a live shot on the back with the lead singer wearing a Hatful of Hollow T-shirt. The last track of the CD, which is "hidden", is also a cover of other Mancunians, Joy Division's "Insight".

For any who are into hardcore/punk stuff, also pick up the latest issue of "Suburban Voice" which includes a 4 page interview with the band, plus a live show review which states "the lead singer sports a mod haircut and worships the Cure, New Order, and The Smiths, which is apparent in their music, and their covers." In the interview, towards the end when SV asks: "Any last comments?", lead singer 'Gibby' responds with: "Morrissey!", and the interviewer responds with: "you had to get that in didn't you!" Included in the interview is another picture of the singer wearing a jean jacket with a Moz back patch... what a fan! You can see pics of this band on these sites:

www.tiac.net/users/gatton/pshows/
www.working-class.com/trouble

You can also get the CD, which is tough as hell, through GMM Records, PO Box 15234, Atlanta GA 30333 USA

...Just realized that the same Gibby has frequently contributed to this site in the past.

Comments / Notes (0)
"How Soon Is Now?" #51 in survey of British 16 to 24-year-olds

From Roger Diaz:

"How Soon Is Now?" is among the greatest tunes of all time (No. 51), according to a survey of British 16 to 24-years-olds. Older acts like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and David Bowie were snubbed. Check out the entire list on "This Is London".

Comments / Notes (2)
Electronic single and album in early 1999

Thanks to Steven for the info from a new order webpage:

The new Electronic single, titled "Vivid" is to be released on March 8, 1999 ... a new album, titled Twisted Tenderness (which has been completed) is expected to follow soon afterwards, however as of now, it will not be released in the U.S. as Electronic has severed their ties with Warner Bros.; they are still looking for a record deal in the U.S. ... the album is co-produced by Arthur Baker, and features guests Jed Lynch (from Black Grape) on drums, Jimmy Goodwin (from the Doves, aka. Sub Sub) on bass, Fridge (a Manchester trip-hop artist), and backing vocals from Astrid Williamson ... the (unconfirmed) songs on the album are: "Twisted Tenderness", "Make It Happen", "Haze", "Prodigal Son", "Flicker", "Late At Night", "King For A Day", "Can't Find My Way Home", "Breakdown", and "Vivid" ... Johnny Marr has described the new album as more guitar-based and rockier than the previous album ...

Comments / Notes (0)
The Frantic Flintstones cover "Rusholme Ruffians"

From Peter Melis:

The psychobilly band "The Frantic Flintstones" have a new album "Speed Kills" on Raucous Records. The Frantics play a cover of The Smiths on this album. They covered "Rusholme Ruffians" in a slap bass rockabilly version with "His Latest Flame". This cover is great! This CD is available on Raucous Records (RAUCD 036).

Comments / Notes (0)
Face To Face to cover "What Difference Does It Make?"

From Adam Lupercio:

Since I am a fan of both Face To Face and The Smiths, I am glad to say (as I found out through the Face To Face official site) they are going to be releasing an album full of covers in Japan in early 1999 (Jan-Feb.). It's going to have their cover version of MY favorite Smiths' track "What Difference Does It Make?" on it.

Comments / Notes (0)

* return to Morrissey-solo