Main
Tue, Apr 6 1999
"Lifeguard Sleeping..." in Fugazi movie

From Weeter:

I got the new Fugazi movie, which at one point, has the band driving in the van, and in the background they are listening to "Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning." They do give proper credit to the Moz since they didn't cut out the background music in that scene. it was interesting the clash of Fugazi/Moz for me, since they are two of my favorite musical entities, but I considered them at opposite spectrums of my musical likes. Very good video by the way.

Comments / Notes (7)
Aziz / "Morassi" clarification

Thanks to Plectrum24 for the following:

I just thought I'd let you know, "Morassi" is an instrumental track that Aziz recorded specifically for Total Guitar magazine and it has nothing to do with Morrissey as far as I know. The magazine defines "morassi" as: "an Asian word meaning musician/bum or layabout". The track is actually a very good track considering he used only his Strat and his Park practice amplifier. Anyway, "Morassi" was recorded just after the Roses (with Aziz as guitarist) disbanded. It was probably before Aziz started his playing with Andy and Mike as at the time Aziz was busy collaborating with Ian Brown and promoting Unfinished Monkey Business. Just in case you don't know, Aziz is yet another devoted fan of Johnny Marr.

Comments / Notes (1)
More Bowlarama - Gary Day return?

From Kevin Stephens:

...Man it was a hassle getting in the bar. I was starting to panic when all my friends where inside and I was outside the bar. But it was all worth it in the end. Seeing Moz drinking Coronas, oh man it turned my frown instantly into a smile. I did get Moz's autograph but I didn't get to have a conversation with him. Although it looked like he was very pleased to give me his autograph. But the person I did have a conversation with was Mr. Boorer. The first thing I asked him was "Where the hell is Gary Day." Boz said that he had been playing with him in London and that he is doin good. Then I asked if they were going to let Gary back into the band. Boz replied, "Gary wants his old job back and I'm working on getting him back in the band." Then I ended the conversation with a question that will give an answer the Sander. I asked Boz, "So is there goin to be another album?" He replied, "We've been writing some stuff but the record company dropped us so we don't know what's goin to happen." So to all of you out there don't lose hope it could be a good possibility. I have a couple of pics from that night once I get them scanned I will send them out.

Comments / Notes (17)
Michael Stipe mentions Morrissey in Q

Thanks to everyone who alerted me to this item. From Jason Hajdik:

In the latest issue of Q (May), Michael Stipe of R.E.M. answers a list of questions submitted by fans. This was one of them:

Q: Is there any truth in the story that you were penpals with Morrissey and he wrote "Found Found Found" about you?

A: I don't think I know that song. We met three times and he sent me postcards. We went walking in London. He's a really nice guy. The judge in The Smiths court case said he was untrustworthy. Fuckhead.

The interview is transcribed at the R.E.M site http://www.murmurs.com. Thanks to Brian Cohen for the link.

Comments / Notes (11)
This week in Morrissey history

From Ronny:

Just a little item here... it was 5 years ago this week that Vauxhall And I stormed the American charts and debuted at number 18... check at www.billboard.com and go to the '5 years ago' chart... James are at 72 with Laid!

Comments / Notes (0)

* return to Morrissey-solo