Main
Morrissey-solo server changes
Posted on Thu, Jan 14 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
It happened again - more server problems out of my control that took longer than expected to take care of.

It's a long story, but basically the server's hard disk crashed and still has not been recovered, and because this site was hosted by my work as a favor (no one's getting paid)  its uptime was not a high priority.

That situation should not be a problem anymore, I have moved the server so I will have complete control - any future problems can be blamed on me now. The server is running off my recently installed adsl line, literally out of my bedroom. I had planned on doing this all along, but didn't realize I'd be forced to so quickly. I learned to install and configure Linux, the Apache web server, sendmail and dns all in the last couple weeks. Not bad!

I am still configuring the site / uploading files, but it should be done soon. The discussion boards have been reset and maybe a few comments on news items were lost. But overall,  I didn't lose any files. Thankfully, since the server didn't have a formal backup process.

Not everyone can see the site right now due to the delay in the 'propagation' of DNS changes, but hopefully within a few days everything will be working as before.

After a couple weeks, please send any feedback regarding the new server you might have. I am hoping there won't be much of a difference in the speed of the site - if that is something that really bothers you let me know. Some things may actually be faster since the server processor is faster now.

Again, I apologize for the downtime - I should probably have a mailing list or something for occasions like this.

Comments / Notes

actually my server downloaded twice as fast now as it ever did before.
Ian Edwards <[email protected]>
Eugene, OR - Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 23:51:57 (PST)

Hey david if you need any help with unix i have been using it for some quite some time so any help you might need i might be able to answer some questions or what not
cheers~!
MLL

MLL <[email protected]>
- Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 00:15:22 (PST)

David,
Welcome back. On behalf of MLU let me offer the club as a contingency if there is ever another outage. In the unlikely event a outage occured, you could simply contact the club or myself at the outset and a global email of the situation will be sent to all members at your request. If you think this is a good idea, please let anyone intrested know they can sign up for it at Morrissey Loves US.
Yazinsky

yazinsky <[email protected] >
Morrissey Loves US - Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 01:55:07 (PST)

I think that the site loads up much faster and the navigation between pages is much faster also.

Great Work!!!

rob <[email protected]>
- Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 13:22:40 (PST)

I really missed the website yes, but that was because it's so great to begin with. And now it seems even quicker. Thanks for your explanation David. You and your website are both great! Cheers! Mike (Mozfan) Head

Mike Head <[email protected]>
DENVER, COLORADO USA - Sat, Jan 16, 1999 at 08:24:33 (PST)

Hey, don't worry. You are doing a great job with this web site.

Tony Kitson
- Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 15:22:58 (PST)

glad you're back, i was getting worried. the new server seems to be faster!! :)

julie <[email protected]>
oz - Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 15:50:29 (PST)

Phew! I'm glad things are back up and running. I was starting to exhibit symptoms of withdrawl and was being forced to seek other websites to feed my habit. Gettin' a little nervous there...
The Phubbbs
Frankfort, IN - Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 13:06:33 (PST)