Main
Nottingham review in Uncut (Jan.)
Posted on Thu, Dec 2 1999 at 9:37 a.m. PST
by David T. <[email protected]>
Review and scan from Smilingontim:

The following review and picture appear in this month's edition of Uncut:

MORRISSEY Rock City, Nottingham

Unable to breath, limbs aching, the air heavy with yobbish chants,and it's still only the warm up tape of "Groovin' with Mr Bloe".This is a Morrissey gig all right.

More importantly, this is the man's first UK appearance in two years, a tour which brings to a close what for Morrissey and those who've remained faithful has been a trying decade. As Nico's "Innocent and Vain" screeches through the PA, seasoned veterans take their cue and brace themselves for point of impact, perhaps expecting the ominous well-tailored gentleman gangster from last time around?

Not tonight. It's funny old Uncle Steven in paint splattered jeans and a raggedy West Ham Boys Club t-shirt, come to sing us a few songs while he waits for the emulsion on his passage ceiling to dry. "Hullo Snottingham!" he roars, a finger to one nostril.

Oh yes, it's going to be one of those Morrisey gigs.

Whipping the mic flex, gurning incessantly, even utilising a banana as a phallic substitute during "Boy Racer", he's in good spirits and even better shape. From the unexpected pleasure of "Is it Really So Strange" to the apologetic inclusion of "Lost" (the beautiful, neglected flip of "Roy's Keen") his set is an inspired mix of latter day Mozrock and old, old favourites. With neither record label nor album to promote, it proves his most eclectic showcase in years.

Seething like a vegetarian drill sergeant on "Meat is Murder", his eyes pierce the burger-breathed culprits hanging their heads in shame like death rays. "Break Up the Family", Viva Hate's heavily scrutinised paean to old acquaintances, still rubs a sentimental nerve or two, though little can match "Trouble Loves Me" for Moz balladeering at its emotional apex. Dramatic as ever, "Speedway" brings out the best in guitarists Boorer and Whyte, while re-instated bassist Gary Day completes the cosh boy aesthetic invaluable to the Morrissey live experience.

Yet as an English homecoming, Snottingham responds with fervour, if not necessary rapture. The crush becomes an agonised squirm of desperate loners willing to suffocate their neighbour if it means theirs will be the outstretched hand Moz momentarily tickles. Add to this some disturbingly pathetic cries of "You're sooo important!" (yes,really!), plus a dangerously retarded attempt to offer him an England flag, and one's own zealous admiration for the man begins to feel a little uncomfortable.

As the pre-encore cheers amount to an alarmingly apathetic murmur, the sweeping finale of "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" is more than they deserve. "Thank you, Snottingham!" Morrissey waves undeterred, "I've enjoyed having you."

One only hopes Snottingham fully appreciated being had.

Simon Goddard

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

Morrissey is a star. He is great. He is the best. He is Wonderful. ETC, ETC, ETC, ETC......

I don't owe you anything, but you owe me something. Repay me now
My love is as sharp as a needle in your eye, you must be such a fool..... - Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 10:16:54 (PST) | #1

A good review indeed!

Fabricio
Curitiba - Brazil - Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 10:35:46 (PST) | #2

Is it really so strange... for a performer to wear the exact same outfit each time they perform? I have seen different bands play in different venues for the same tour but I never remember them wearing the exact same outfit each time they were on stage. I could only imagine how many of those t-shirts he must have stashed away! I could really use one of them - anyone know where I can find (buy) one?

Zoey <[email protected]>
Eureka, Ca - Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 12:13:50 (PST) | #3

this review was slightly amusing and came closer to describing the experience than the other reviews so far. morrissey wears the same outfit everynight because he plays the same set everyday. it's fitting.

that's it?
- Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 16:36:34 (PST) | #4

I was there at Nottingham Rock City and I can tell you it was a marvellous gig. In my opinion, the audience reaction was amazing, as much as Moz was in top form indeed.
By the way, for non-British fans, UNCUT has always been very attentive to Morrissey.
Particularly, the issue of July 1998 featured an endless article about him, from the early days to his going AWOL for the whole of '98.
Even though they are slightly critical towards his latest works, you can really tell the editor, etc...still rate Morrissey very well.

Claude <[email protected]>
Birmingham, UK - Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 07:16:59 (PST) | #5

It is refreshing to read a review where you feel the writer actually "knows" the material through and through . . . as opposed to the writers who know 2 or 3 songs (and usually only The Smiths songs).

Nick Seriously
- Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 21:48:37 (PST) | #6

ha ha! Maybe he can tie balloon animals for all the boys and girls as well!

sleepy suzanne
this hands may be clammy, but they are my own. - Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 10:50:46 (PST) | #7

atlast a review that actually namechecks the band members, normally overlooked! A refreshing change, also that this reviewer actually knows what "Lost" is! That bloke from The Guardian though it was a new song! Even references to Nico and the intro tape - Mr Goddard is obviously something of a Morrissey fan ... a dangerous vocation for an IPC journalist!!!?

Talbot Rothwell
- Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 05:03:23 (PST) | #8

I was bruised and stamped on and fondeled by a strange bloke sporting a huge qiff shouting 'National front disco' at that gig. Nottingham Rock city is a good place to do a gig, but the Morrissey fans were so horrible that I thought it was a bloody waste of £17!! I was nearly killed!!

Jenfa <[email protected]>
- Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 13:03:24 (PST) | #9

* return to Morrissey-solo