Main
KROQ chat transcript
Posted on Thu, Sep 30 1999 at 9:48 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
Here's an edited transcript from the KROQ chat last night. Thanks to Vu (from the transcript at his site, Recycled Papers) for providing much of what I missed. Feel free to add any additional info or make corrections.
  • Also be sure to check out the web chat feature story at MorrisseyTour.com that went up last night for some commentary as well as Morrissey's responses from the chat.
  • Notable answers:

re: the next album,
    The next album has been written but has yet to be recorded b/c I'm waiting to find a new deal. But the songs are the best yet.

re: reunion with Marr,
    Not even on the darkest nights.
I was a little late to the chat (KROQ's site wasn't very intuitive) and it took a while to figure out how to prevent the chat from scrolling at what seemed like 10 lines per second. I believe there were approximately 350 to 400 people at the chat, which was more than enough to make it a chaotic experience. The actual chat lasted for about 50 minutes. From what I hear many had a hard time getting into the chat, if they could find the link on the KROQ site in the first place.

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

Truly disappointing, truly truly truly...........Your Yipster

Kali <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 10:33:32 (PDT) | #1

Let's hope the "vest is yet to come". I am freezing over here. I've been harrassing him to return it for three months now.

The chat didn't seem to offer anything new that we hadn't heard before. I am glad that his wit and class came off as strong as ever. I didn't get a chance to be their live, and according to the person on Morrissey-tour.com, I am particularly grateful.

He is still himself, let's hope he shows more of it to us.

Dagenham Dave
Chicago - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 10:46:20 (PDT) | #2

And where, exactly, was the chat link?

Susie
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 10:49:47 (PDT) | #3

I thought his reply last night to what he'd be doing on the millenium - "sitting on babies. i mean, babysitting." - was usual Morrissey weirdness. I see from the nme site today, though, that there was some crisis with the M People Millenium show in Manchester having to be rescheduled due to people complaining about there not being enough babysitters. ;)

Rosencrantz31
233 S. Wacker - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 11:06:14 (PDT) | #4

i have never knew that there were so many idiots in this world. actually, yes i did.

electricvan <[email protected]>
long beach, ca - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 11:59:47 (PDT) | #5

A few of his most interesting (strange) comments were left out from the beggining. Morrissey mentions britney spears? I must have missed that part.

Unruly Girl
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 12:36:05 (PDT) | #6

there were some comments in the begining left out in the transcript (...which i thank whoever did that). he said something like, "i have a secret for all of the u.s. fans" and "the answer to all your questions is yes".

handsome devil
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 13:50:43 (PDT) | #7

how much should I charge to babysit on New Year's?

hmmm
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 13:51:01 (PDT) | #8

I fear our man Morrissey is more concerned
with humoring the masses with his one liners
(some witty, most not) than just relaxing in the studio and seriously answering the more intelligent questions asked of him at the end of the day.....

Garrett
Tampa Florida - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 14:52:11 (PDT) | #9

At one point I could have sworn Morrissey said "yummy yummy yummy" but I don't know to what this was in respose. Also, early on he said "The answer to all questions is yes."

Karionie <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 14:52:16 (PDT) | #10

Please dont bash me for the way I feel for I dearly love the Mozster and can't wait to see him soon. Viva Moz.

Garrett
Tampa Florida - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 14:55:35 (PDT) | #11

To Morrissey's Web Slave:

what can I do to be you?

Stark Ravingmad
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 15:42:37 (PDT) | #12

"Morrissey is an @#!!!!" exclaimed the girl sitting next to me as she observed the most ascerbic wit either of us have seen, possibly ever. Morrissey seemed last night to take pride in being a jerk of the first order, this despite the fact that he was in the presence of fans who shower him with love, and adoration. Could it be that His Mozness feels he must be aloof, and condescending in order to continue being the icon he is now? To be sure, as much could be discerned by the questions he chose to ignore as the questions he deemed worthy of a response. For those who are dyed in the wool Morrissey fans, last night's display of arrogance will do little to change our feelings for him. Still, the girl who sat with me last night could see my disappointment. It was written all over my face.
There are more than enough to fight and oppose
why waste good time fighting the people you like
who would fall defending your name

Stalwart Lover <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 17:50:55 (PDT) | #13

When asked about a new song title he responded:
"There's no chance of my telling you that whatsoever"
Is that actually the title? Sounds like a Morrissey song title to me. Can't wait to hear it

Daniel Turek <[email protected]>
%00 - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 18:32:30 (PDT) | #14

I find it curious that all who predicted/desire a Smiths/Marr reunion are utterly silent. Thank God he answered those questions for the 173rd time.

Nick Seriously
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 20:11:26 (PDT) | #15

Morrissey and Marr are sly one's keeping the reunion so down low.

Javier
Los Angeles - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 20:46:06 (PDT) | #16

Nick seriously, we were not predicting a Moz/Marr reunion, just hoping. Is there anything wrong with that. I tend to think not, for god sake I love the two just like everyone else. For one thing, has Moz denied going to do Coachella...NO! Has Marr denied going to do Coachella with Beck...NO, again! So please spare me with your utterless comment. And Javier your right. They're just keeping it on the downlow (crossing fingers)

Moz cowboy <[email protected]>
Long Beach - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 23:58:30 (PDT) | #17

you are absolutely right moz cowboy...whether or not someone is hoping for an impromptu performance from both moz and marr is their business...where do i fall? well, i love smiths material, but i also like morrissey's solo material and think that whether or not a reunion happens - it's gonna be a damn good show nonetheless.

a performance between morrissey and marr after more than twelve years, in my view, would be a nice bonus..but just because one 'hopes' for that does not necessarily mean that they should be shunned as "moz-heretics". for all the 'moz-purists' out there, look at it this way...if at the end of a song morrissey said something to the likes of 'i'd like you all to welcome a friend of mine' and johnny marr came out, guitar in hand, would you boo? and would you walk away if marr and moz would perform a song?

and, if you would, then how can you call yourself a morrissey fan? does morrissey's solo work necessarily cancel out the great material he created with the smiths? certainly, his smiths material does not, in any way, marginalize his great solo work...so why should it not work the other way around? and why should we treat him as two separate entities: one being the morrissey of the smiths and the other being the morrissey the soloist? and just how does a performance with marr discredit his solo career?

state of emergency
- Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 00:49:20 (PDT) | #18

Neil Tennant's hair is long past saving...

Scott <[email protected]>
England for the English - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 02:44:13 (PDT) | #19

It's tragic the questions that got asked, you assume Moz fans would be really intelligent, maybe they weren't big fans? or just said the first thing that came into their head cos they were nervous "meeting" the man.. I'd be!

Oh and that was a classic quote about JM - not even on a dark night - LOL looks like he's finally got over him and doesn't still pine for him anymore which can only be a good thing and no wonder he's gone off him with the way he looks now!

John <[email protected]>
Scotland - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 04:13:49 (PDT) | #20

i was just trying to figure out where the chat button even was!!! i was not able to find it for the life of me and i clicked every damn clickable thing there was! very frustrating.

kmp
hartsdale - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 04:35:06 (PDT) | #21

Oh well, another expected flaw in the life of a once famous and fabulous heart throb - to both the boys and the girls. Personally, I feel the chat was light-hearted and fun. I did not anticipate Morrissey to reveal some life long secret via email, I was just pleased to be involved. I think his honesty, or lack there of, is what continues to entice me to his side. By the way, does anyone have info. about the The Smiths on UK Arena (cable or satellite) in the UK on Saturday night at 10:00pm - the programme features archive BBC footage.

Brett Anderson <[email protected]>
Brisbane, Australia - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 06:16:07 (PDT) | #22

I'm doing the babysitting thing on New Year's Eve. I've already got 5 kids lined up at $100.00 per kid. And I think I may have come in too low because the parents jumped on it. Maybe I should have charged more. But oh well, I guess I could stand to make a minimum of $500.00 in one night to let some kids watch videos and eat popcorn.

Sarah
Chambana - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 06:36:54 (PDT) | #23

I was expecting at least a few details concerning the new album and tour, but Moz just came off as a prissy, bratty school girl.
Witty - no, not really.

Pin and Mount Me
USA - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 07:16:44 (PDT) | #24

Well Sarah - If babysitting on the Millennium(even for $500) is what you find enjoyable - well to each their own. However I am sure there will be a couple of more interesting things going on that night for the rest of us.

Kelly Taylor <[email protected]>
Long Beach, CA - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 07:39:14 (PDT) | #25

I read the transcript and feel that the chat was mostly a waste. Nothing new was said or answered. However, I did enjoy his reply to favorite line he wrote.

Moz responded with "This story is old, I know but it goes on." - 'Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me'

So his favorite line is a Smiths line huh????

I figured he'd say something from "Boxers" or "Maladjusted" - I guess I do still have faith in him after all!!!!!

Someone should have begged him to play
"Late Night, Maudlin Street" on the tour!!!!!!!!!!

Ken <[email protected]>
Long Island - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 09:09:31 (PDT) | #26

Thank you Moz for standing up for animals once again. It was the highlight of the chat! For those who missed it, when asked what he eats, Moz said:"I certainly don't eat animals or fish and I never will."
This is why, for people who insist on worshipping someone, Moz is a better choice than Jesus. Unlike Jesus, Moz doesn't limit his compassion to those of his own kind! No, I don't worship him. But I will if he switches to Soy Milk and names his next album MILK IS MURDER! Moz don't you know that dairy cows are slaughtered for ground beef as soon as their milk production slows? Up until that horrific day they are continually impregnated to keep them lactating and their male calves are slaughtered for veal!

David VEGAN <[email protected]>
Windsor, Ontario, Canada - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 09:42:05 (PDT) | #27

And that veal ends up on my plate every
Sunday evening as veal parmegian(sp) mmmmmmmmm
good. It kicks. We didn't kick and fight our
way to the top of the food chain to eat lettuce and celery now did we?? OUT!!!

Warren the terrible
Chespaw - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 10:10:46 (PDT) | #28

That is an enlightening view Warren the Terrible. Thank you for sharing that with us. In fact I think everyone on the solo website, by having to be subjected to your idiotic opinions, is just a little more stupid because of it.

John McMinnis
Austin, TX - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 10:42:25 (PDT) | #29

I had a problem logging into the chat. Anyone else encounter the same issue? KROQ rules onthe radio but not in cyberspace!

Dylan McKay
Beverly Hills - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 11:37:48 (PDT) | #30

Consensus suggests that the whole deal was a big, fat ripoff! Maybe Moz will make it up to his true fans by engaging in another scheduled chat with solo.com and David T. can arrange it???

Israel Zangwill
- Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 13:19:54 (PDT) | #31

Luke is that you typing yourself as Dylan McKay. If it is, you'll make a great Morrissey on film. If only my dreams can be fulfilled...Moz on the big screen.Luke Perry rules. He had the whole James Dean mixed in with Moz a long time a go.

Moz cowboy <[email protected]>
Long Beach - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 14:05:34 (PDT) | #32

Isreal,
That is the best thing i have heard yet???
Why doesn't David try to set up an online
Chat on this site with David as the Mediator??
Moz might feel a little more secure on a Morrissey website? Maybe if enough people show interst he will do it?? David what do you think?
Anyone else have an opinion on the matter???

Warren
Chespaw - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 14:32:55 (PDT) | #33

Yes! Warren, you are an endless waste of time and space. I would gladly go to the kindergarten your in and blow your head off except, even for that, I have better things to do. You are an affront to this site and the ideas that that are expressed here. I would like to propose that the next poll be about the best way to get rid of your ignorant, morronic and childish input. GO AWAY! YOU DON'T BELONG HERE.

F*&^CK U
- Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 15:04:07 (PDT) | #34

on the meat is murder note...just wondering what morrissey's shoes are made of...polyurethane perhaps? does gucci do polyurethane? and remember, he loved BACON!

kmp
hartsdale - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 16:48:24 (PDT) | #35

kmp...I had the same problems. They couldn't have come at a worse time either. I had just got him and was in my room(I totally forgot about the chat until 8:58). Then when I got downstairs I could not find the way into the chat until I got somebody online to give me the address. I clicked on everything as well. If it weren't so hard to find I'm sure more people would have been there. Moz rules.

P.s. I think the Jesus/Moz comparison was uncalled for, don't you?

Corey
- Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 17:05:31 (PDT) | #36

I was surprised to learn that Morrissey is a vegetarian!

idiot
- Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 17:34:42 (PDT) | #37

it really was bad..... so many people asking dumb questions come on!

CaLiGuLa <[email protected]>
CaLiFoRnIa - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 19:06:22 (PDT) | #38

Hmm...I'm now in a bit of a pickle about milk and dairy products. I know Morrissey still consumes them and so do I. (I don't eat meat by the way.) I'd always wondered what the reason was to quit dairy and now I know. But, I love dairy products too much to give them up! I'd probably die if I didn't! ARGH! Soy milk is good, but what of soy cheese etc.?

And I know that once upon a time Moz had this bacon fetish. But obviously he quit that a long time ago, and I'm so glad he's stuck with it! I had a beef fetish (except for steak, but I always enjoyed a good hamburger or roast beef sandwich) but not any longer! I don't have Morrissey entirely to thank for my decision, but he certainly was an influence. Thank you Moz!

And the KROQ chat...I couldn't get in. :( But thankfully, from everything I've heard, I'm a bit relieved that I couldn't because it would probably have been a bit of a waste. Might I suggest he do an IRC chat next time? Would be much much better, and much more efficient!!

Bigmouth Strikes Again <[email protected]>
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 21:22:27 (PDT) | #39

don't let them get to you warren,
it's good to see that at least
you have a mind of your own.

workingclassstiff <meatisdinner>
- Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 06:19:07 (PDT) | #40

Hey, David VEGAN, I'm a vegan, too - at least there are two of us. Long live our fluffy friends! Bit worrying that M missed out 'birds' when he said he'd never eat animals or fish.

tofubeing
- Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 08:58:20 (PDT) | #41

isn't a bird an animal?*l*

Corey
- Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 10:07:01 (PDT) | #42

yes...the chat did suck. The only good thing was that we got a few good quotes out of Morrissey. My favorite was when he said "I'm very trusting of people unless I know them" when asked if he liked meeting fans.
The day after the chat when I was listening to Kevin & Bean (the morning show on KROQ) they said they couldn't make it to the chat but they knew it must have been horrible & they were sorry. haha...I guess they know how KROQ runs!

Lauren <[email protected]>
here - Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 13:59:58 (PDT) | #43

Web site slave? D'oh! I'm an indentured servant.

So, when did California split into 2 states?

Morrissey, you have to quit taunting your fans. Hundreds of them spent hours thinking that you would be talking to more than one of them.

Oh well.... :^)

Great Escape
On the Underground Railroad - Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 16:44:42 (PDT) | #44

Technically speaking, yes, a bird *is* an animal! But then, so is a fish!

tofubeing
- Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 17:47:53 (PDT) | #45

Warren, I Love You
That is all i have to say.

The Sucker
- Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 22:41:15 (PDT) | #46

To the dearly departed: stop your wit before it poisons the soil between your ears. Much to be said... too little to gain in spite of the dreaming of the day. too often too soon.. give up until the next moon .... there may be another day. Wait for the sign though it hardens your mind, blame is better, than to resent. SMITHS is DEAD boys.... but only in the ,linear limitations of your sight. The dream did come true... it was made real. Can't your hear the music when your eyes close? I'll meet you there... in that darkened underpass.

IMAPOET
The extremeties of your mind - Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 01:24:58 (PDT) | #47

To the dearly departed: stop your wit before it poisons the soil between your ears. Much to be said... too little to gain in spite of the dreaming of the day. too often too soon.. give up until the next moon .... there may be another day. Wait for the sign though it hardens your mind, blame is better, than to resent. SMITHS is DEAD boys.... but only in the linear limitations of your sight. The dream did come true... it was made real. Can't your hear the music when your eyes close? I'll meet you there... in that darkened underpass.

IMAPOET
The extremeties of your mind - Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 01:29:08 (PDT) | #48

hey I'm a vegan too. where were you guyz when I launched the "moz go vegan" campaign? mo-man didn't care. oh well.

got soy?
- Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 12:57:09 (PDT) | #49

Well, teh chat is not really the time for MOz to discuss intelligent things,. By the way, email me, all u ASian fans out there. OK?

Christian Cruz <[email protected]>
Manila, Philippines - Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 00:10:45 (PDT) | #50

Okay who is Humerist25 and how do I discredit them?

Answers on a postcard please...

jeane
- Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 02:47:19 (PDT) | #51

For those who haven't had their question answered:
The link to the chat area only showed up on the screen when there was room for you to enter it. Otherwise, it just showed the "be here tonight" message. Of course, I only found this out after being timed-out a few times. Lame concept, that. If you posted too often you got booted, which was fine, but if you didn't post often enough, you also got booted. Doh!

Darrow
- Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 09:51:58 (PDT) | #52

THANK YOU DARROW!!!
i felt like i was in the twilight zone or something trying to figure out where the damn thing was.

kmp
hartsdale - Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 16:15:46 (PDT) | #53

I'm Sulak25, but I don't think he means me.

The living Sulak
in the yellow pages - Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 20:24:55 (PDT) | #54

What a load of rubbish....Make up your own quote's you bastards

Birkenhead
- Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 14:01:37 (PDT) | #55

* return to Morrissey-solo