Main
Myra Hindley - subject in controversial art exhibit
Posted on Wed, Sep 29 1999 at 9:29 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Angela:

In case anyone is following the news in New York, there's an art opening called Sensations at the Brooklyn Museum of Art that mayor Rudolph Guillani is trying to shut down.

The one of the more controversial works of art is a portrait of the Virgin Mary which uses elephant feces as part of the collage. Apparently this has offended Mayor Guillani and the Catholic Church enough that they want to pull the the funding for the museum.

Anyhow, the whole collection of art is from the UK. It includes a HUGE mosaic of Myra Hindley. (in case you're not familiar with her, she's the one of the people accused in the Moors murders) The mosaic was made using the imprints of children's hands.

More info (with scan of "Myra") at CNN.

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

Sounds like censorship to me Ladies and Gentlemen.

Joyce Rourke
Indio, CA - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 10:11:05 (PDT) | #1

Is this the Morrissey web page of the National Edowment for the Arts website? I don't agree with the elephant feces, therefore I am not going to view it. Others who feel the same way should do the same. No need to pimp your morals.

Dagenham Dave
Chicago - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 10:36:50 (PDT) | #2

Joycey - What does this have to do with Morrissey? I don't mean to sound so stupid but you always seem to know what is going on. Thanks for your help!

Chris Warticki
Orlando - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 10:46:15 (PDT) | #3

Suffer Little Children is about Hindley and the Moors murders.

--M--
- Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 11:13:14 (PDT) | #4

Myra Hindley was one of the killers in The Moors Murders which Morrissey wrote about in Suffer Little Children. I hope that answers your question.

mike <[email protected]>
- Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 11:14:05 (PDT) | #5

GUILTY of the Moors murders. She's a low life.

Nick Seriously
- Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 11:18:01 (PDT) | #6

Girls, Have you forgot that I am back??? Stop playing Around and get back to work.

Ted
On the phone with kid #4 - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 11:22:00 (PDT) | #7

Miss Rourke. Nothing's being censored. In (what shouldn't be) a state-funded museum the state decides not to display what it considers offensive. No one has destroyed the painting--THAT is censorship. It should be the artists' responsibility to get his/her artwork displayed, not New York State's. If you don't like it, make donations or visit every chance you get, so the museum can remain open independent of state funds.
Liberals love using the government to solve this (and other) country's problems--but as soon as the government stands up and makes a decision where morality is a decisive factor, the government is ridiculed as being unconstitutional.

Most art is as useful as dung anyway. And I'm an art lover who's devoutly unreligious.

Jeff <[email protected]>
- Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 11:24:52 (PDT) | #8

I agree 100% with the mayor. If he wants to deface the church with his money thats fine (I guess) but don't use the taxpayers money for that garbage. I don't see his point in doing this??

Mike Lucas
CCC off US 19 - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 11:28:48 (PDT) | #9

I think it is pathetic to use the icons from the Cathloic church in such a blasphemous way. The artist may burn for such creativeness.

Jennifer Hawke <[email protected]>
- Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 12:05:14 (PDT) | #10

Hang the Artist, Hang the artist, Hang the Artist!
Jen I always hated you, you always thought you were soooo much prettier than everyone else...

Joanna Heronamus
Cafeteria - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 12:47:27 (PDT) | #11

That is right hippopotamus - I will always be prettier than you. In fact, after reviewing the art work mentioned on this site, I had thoughts of you.

Jennifer Hawke <[email protected]>
- Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 13:35:49 (PDT) | #12

Hawk, your not bad but KV and I prefer the Brokamp twins. "I'm the original and she is the carbon copy." Viva CCC!!!!!

Garrett Cronin, Capt of the boys Soccer team
Dribbeling around cones at Kyle's House - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 13:45:02 (PDT) | #13

Well Mr. Thang (aka Jeff) Does the word OPINION mean anything to you. Why don't you take a step back and look at the big picture. Maybe if you took a step down from your soap box you might realize that whether this painting is moral or immoral is a matter of opinion. Or are you going to sit there and tell me that the State now has the ability to decide.

Joyce Rourke
Indio, CA - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 13:46:09 (PDT) | #14

What in the hell is going on here? Is this site the ghost of high school's past?

Chris Daly
Clearwater, FL - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 13:48:10 (PDT) | #15

I hear you loud and clear Joyce! I was curious why Jeff posted such lame commentary regarding your thoughts. I rather liked your words, I almost heard sarchasm in your thoughts.? Good opinion, I respect it. Also, why does Jeff get so bent out of shape about art and then say he considers it mostly dung anyway? How does thatmake sense?

Petra Stachkunas <[email protected] >
Westwood, CA - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 13:55:09 (PDT) | #16

I really dig this artist! I actually attended a small opening that he held about one year ago up in Montreal. He sort of reminds me of the old wave of graffiti artists - so innovative! Oh, how I miss Haring and Basquiat!

Leanna Delosh
Los Angeles, CA - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 14:13:55 (PDT) | #17

How come no one talked to me at the reunion??
Leave the Church out of this!!!!

Paul Hodges
Playing video games with Ryan Hitt - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 14:18:03 (PDT) | #18

"A sad factor widely known:" The majority of commentors are hardly qualified to engage in a scholarly and articulate discussion pertaining to 20th century Art. Your comments are indicative of how limited your artistic knowledge is (although I'm surprised that someone has heard of K. Haring & J.M. Basquait).

Aesthetician <[email protected]>
San Diego - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 22:10:37 (PDT) | #19

It has been a long time comming, but maybe the time has finally arrived. Government needs to get the hell out of our lives. Funding should be discontinued at once.

Let art be supported by its patrons: people who understand and enjoy the sensory experience. In my opinion, art is supposed to be very emotional, so it looks like this artist has succeeded.

Whenever you let the govt get involved in anything, it becomes poison and never turns out as intended. Just say NO!

Bill Hansell
NJ - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 04:33:42 (PDT) | #20

Greetings Aesthetician. A scholarly and articulate discussion pertaining to 20th century Art? What? Welcome to the Morrissey-solo.com site! As for the majority of the posts, I must admit that my Ivy League education is no where as impressive as some of the intellectual thoughts that I have seen posted. We all are here for one reason: Morrissey. So, please try and understand that David T. has provided us all an invaluable outlet to post about the great one, as well as learn about particular topics of interest. So what, if not everyone on here is familiar with the works of Jean-Michel Basquiat or Keith Haring. Maybe after reading the posts, they will learn more about them - or perhaps they already dig their stuff but prefer other types of art, such as music! By the way, a true scholar never condemns anyone for lack of knowledge only for lack of interest in knowledge.

Leanna Delosh
Los Angeles, CA - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 05:27:12 (PDT) | #21

Aesthician,
Dude, Considered yourself screwed,glued and tattooed because you have been burned!!! You might want to go turn your smoke detector off now?? YYYYEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!! OUT!

Warren Van Gough
Chespaw - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 07:11:28 (PDT) | #22

What do you mean ACCUSED of the Moors Murders???
She WAS the muderer and proabably the architect behind them all. Yet quite what it has to do with Moz is not clear apart from the song he recorded.
May she never be released. They should now "throw away the key"......Another song title of mine...

Scott <[email protected]>
England for the English - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 07:14:42 (PDT) | #23

Aesthetician,
Hey smart guy, I have some advice for you, Next time you quote a 20th century artist like Morrissey why don't you try quoting it correctly? Its "A sad fact widely known" not "factor" Next time you will think before you type, wont you? YESSSSSSSS! out.

Warren Van Gough
Chespaw - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 07:34:41 (PDT) | #24

(Jeff)
Guiliani's threat to halt the 'Sensation' exhibition and withold the Brooklyn Museum Of Art's funding, has nothing to do with government policy and the supposed moral 'good of the people' but everything to do with his attempts to get re-elected. If art did not receive subsidy then art would become the preserve of the wealthy.

Coming from the UK, I find it ironic that the city that gave the world Warhol and Mapplethorpe is now attempting to decide what is and what isn't suitable for its citizens to view. It's a shame because the art being concentrated on here, is in my opinion, far from being the most interesting on show in the 'Sensation' exhibition. Go find out for yourselves...

Ryan
Manchester, UK - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 07:37:55 (PDT) | #25

its disturbing to hear any of you talk about art, seeing as you are all blind. . . .
Dont talk of my world, when all you have seen of it is in your imaginations

disturbing idoits
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 07:40:15 (PDT) | #26

Hey, I think it is spelled i-d-i-o-t-s. And we would probably rather not be trapped in your world, thus that is why it is your world - no matter how GRRREAT you are. My world is my world, and no one should be trapped in it, either.

Henrietta Hetnler
Brussels - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 12:10:50 (PDT) | #27

Miss Rourke, Giuliani didn't necessarily make a moral decision to stop funding the museum, so please forgive me if I seemed to indicate I thought he did. However, opinion is subjective and morals are not. Morals cannot be judged to be right or wrong--they are the basis of how we decide between right and wrong. Read your constitution and discover how non-secular it is.
Dude in the UK: While mayor Giuliani may have thoughts of re-election uppermost in mind, two things must be kept in mind. 1. This is the case for all politicians. 2. New York is BY FAR a liberal-minded town. By this regard, the mayor has most likely lost votes through his conservative efforts. I'm guessing that Giuliani is Catholic as well, seeing that he's an Italian born and raised in Brooklyn, so that probably also played a role in his decision.
P.S. The fact that Giuliani doesn't believe the painting should be in the museum doesn't mean that he is personally the barometer of what NYC should and shouldn't see. There are many places in NYC where you can buy and see things ten times worse than the dung painting. Like most cities, NYC goes from heaven to hell in a matter of a couple of blocks.

Jeff <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 20:13:27 (PDT) | #28

religion sucks especially catholocism

doug clifford
- Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 22:24:06 (PDT) | #29

Jesus, (and this is in no way a 'patriotic' comment) but it's took a fellow Brit to get to the bottom of this one. Ryan is so right. The arts do need public funding (for christ sake, you wouldn't have any Morrissey records if he wasn't 'funded' by record companies - think about that one!) All the comments about 'taxpayers money' are bogus - I'd rather my tax money was spent on art rather than war, wouldn't you?

Gra
UK - Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 07:29:14 (PDT) | #30

Bah. I hate it when these discussions become politcal or religious. BUT mayor guiliani (sp?) may not be all that he seems, after all he is putting homeless people out of their hovels and arresting law abiding citizens, for putting one foot wrong. (NY 2000. A clean city?? bah).

Franc Shankly <[email protected]>
Mecca - Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 07:55:07 (PDT) | #31

This seems like so much "The Emperor's New Clothes" to me. I know a little bit about analyzing art. And for the life of me, I can't begin to figure out how everyone seems to think this artwork somehow symbolizes the Virgin Mary. If she was holding Jesus, if she was wearing a halo, if she had a graceful countenance, OK. . . I just don't see it.

Vergile
- Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 08:48:34 (PDT) | #32

* return to Morrissey-solo