Mike Joyce website online
Posted on Mon, Sep 27 1999 at 10:08 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Stefan Sahlander:

Got this link just now...

http://www.mikejoyce.com

Including some news:

---------
2. Mike is also scheduled to co-write a book with other former Smiths musician, Andy Rourke documenting their experiences within the band providing as yet unseen information and documents on the band's history, development and ultimate break up.

3. Forthcoming interviews on Mike's re-emergence back on to the music scene can be seen in Magnet, Modern Drummer and Alternative Press magazines in the US. Publications dates as yet unavailable but they will be posted on the press board when in print.

4. Mike will be a guest attendee at the CMJ Conference in New York in September '99.

5. Mike is discussing the possibility of an unlikely collaboration by doing some remixes for premiere US drum ' bass artist Jordana (a.k.a. 1.8.7) on Liquid Sky records having met recently on a trip to New York.

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

I'm not so sure what other information there is to know about the demise of the Smiths that hasn't been brought up either in interviews or court trials, but I'll try not to be so cynical until I see the finished product.

Tor Splinterglass <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 10:34:02 (PDT) | #1

As the supergrass song says..."In it for the money" To have a tell all book nearly 15 years after the band expired would only point to taking on the project to collect some money. It would be rather sad and unfortunate. Don't do it Mike and tell Andy to put his pen down too. Move on.

Frankie Shankly(not Franc or Frank) <[email protected]>
Southern California - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 16:59:06 (PDT) | #2

if he really wants a viable source of income...he should talk to a distributor to release some of the sessions he has on tape (referring to a 1997(?)kroq interview)...sure, some (if not the majority) of the money would kick back to morrissey and marr...not to mention money going to andy (who out of the four, needs it the most)...but a buck in the pocket is a buck in the pocket...and considering the world's renewed fascination with the smiths, it would be a better seller than another book...

state of emergency
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 17:17:30 (PDT) | #3

with all the cash he got from moz/marr, joyce could've built a better web site. and/or pinned his ears back. but i wish not to personally attack.

electricvan <[email protected]>
long beach, ca - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 18:07:59 (PDT) | #4

Wow, a side ive never seen of Mike Joyce, how wonderful...

O. Annie <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 20:35:56 (PDT) | #5

Wow, a side ive never seen of Mike Joyce, how wonderful... Especially the Pictures of him.

O. Annie <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 20:36:33 (PDT) | #6

You can bash him all you like but that Aziz line-up is INCREDIBLE! I am most excited to hear what they do...

i
see - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 21:15:33 (PDT) | #7

Frankie, let's not be too naive. Mike would probably be the first to confirm that yes, money DID play a factor in his decision to pen a Smiths book. Any writer who tries to deny that as a motivation to write (especially a tell-all book!) should be laughed it.

Also, your point about it having been over 12 years since the Smiths' breakup holds no bearing on the significance of a new book about them - to this day, people are STILL writing books on Elvis, Marilyn and the like. I think that it would be quite interesting to read a book about the Smiths written by a person who was actually A PART of them. Bring it on, Mike! (and tell us EVERYTHING!).

Lifeguard Commenting
The Wrong Coast - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 09:34:35 (PDT) | #8

Lifeguard I totally agree - Finally the voice of reason! It is obvious that you would write a book for money - and you are totally right on - it is nostalgia that brings everyone back!

Scott W
Boston, Mass - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 11:43:17 (PDT) | #9

Please, don't attack him so hard... let him prove us if at least he's good as a writer.
Just one question: What kind of lies is he going to tell this time???

Charles Byron <[email protected]>
Buenos Aires - Argentina - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 17:00:38 (PDT) | #10

I just visited the website, and also linked to the Aziz website and I have to say that despite the talents of both, they also share the annoying skill for name-dropping. The bios for both a pure pish. Ooh, I played with (insert big name band here) and then I've done this and this and this.
Why is the picture from the Smiths days if what you've done since includes so many 'big' names?
Aziz too, the phrasing of his mentioning his other work is hideous - working on another record with Ian Brown "under the 'Ian Brown' banner".... damn, just say you've worked and are wrking on multiple projects - Bios are horrible pieces of work, merely propping up egos and making sure others see exactly who you've worked with/why you are good. Ugh!
I'm sorry this has turned into such a tirade, it wasn't intended to be but it had to be said...

Jay
home - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 21:55:16 (PDT) | #11

* return to Morrissey-solo