Main
Janeane Garofalo mentions The Smiths on "The Late Show"
Posted on Mon, Sep 27 1999 at 10:07 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Peter Lynn:

During Janeane Garafolo's appearance on Friday's "Late Show" (or whatever the hell the program is called) host Craig Kilborn, in an attempt to woo his guest, had his audience sing out "Sweetness!" at her. Happily, she finished the sentence with "... I was only joking when I said" and immediately mentioned "Bigmouth Strikes Again" as the title of the song she was referencing.

She then went on to say that she can't listen to "How Soon is Now?" without crying, because it reminds her of her terrible years in college, when she was overweight at 160 lbs and unattractive enough to shield herself behind a "goth" style of dress (which she deemed the refuge of fat girls).

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

Lets hear for us fat girls!
Woo - Hoo!

Martha Dumptruck
Big Fun - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 10:12:10 (PDT) | #1

A great big huge feminist draped in a goth black dress and digging the Smiths. HMMMMMMMM yeah I guess I could see that.

Cutegirl with pink swollen Cuticles
Tallahassee Florida - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 12:49:40 (PDT) | #2

Right-on!

cross-continental casanova
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 13:08:38 (PDT) | #3

I always considered her to be one of the coolest celebrities, and this just confirms my beliefs!

joe <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 13:50:47 (PDT) | #4

just to clarify a few things it's the "LATE LATE SHOW" and Craig Kilborn had asked the audience to say to Jeanene "craig love's you" when he played HIS favourite smiths' song. When Jeanene was out there he did it and she mentioned how much she liked the smiths but accidentally referred to the song as "Sweetness" and Craig corrected her saying it was "Bigmouth Strikes again" and she mentioned how her favourite smiths' song was "how soon is now" and did mention the stuff about her being a fat goth girl in college with a lunchbox for a purse! anyway it was cool no matter how you recall it.

eric reidar <[email protected]>
Tacoma - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 14:11:12 (PDT) | #5

I love Janeane Garafolo! She is totally cool, I think that she would be a real cool person to hang out with.

Selena <[email protected]>
Long Beach, Ca - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 14:23:08 (PDT) | #6

I love Janeane Garafolo! Her attitude is awesome and I really dig her taste in clothes. She always looks so cool!

Jen Parker <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 14:29:30 (PDT) | #7

I ONCE DATED A GIRL WHO LOOKED LIKE
JG BUT SHE HAD BLONDE HAIR. I USE TO
HAVE TO DO A LOT OF DRUGS JUST TO HANG OUT
WITH HER. I GREW UP AND MOVED ON, NOW I HAVE
A CELL PHONE AND A PAGER.

Johnny R.
Orlando Florida - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 14:56:50 (PDT) | #8

'How Soon is Now?' and 'Bigmouth Strikes Again' are my two least favourite Smiths songs. Though sometimes I'll listen to them when I feel like it. Janine whatsername is cool.

johnny guitar
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 16:14:59 (PDT) | #9

I'm glad someone besides myself watched the show, because Craig played the first 2 or 3 seconds of "Bigmouth" and she said she loved the Smiths. She did call the song "sweetness" and Craig corrected her by saying "no it's called Bigmouth strikes again it starts out by saying sweetness I was..." and stopped there. The most interesting part about the whole thing is that the audience just started cheering really loud. I thought to myself you mean that everyone in the audience knows who the Smiths are? It just got me all pumped up!!

boy racer
Midland, pa - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 23:06:20 (PDT) | #10

your the one for me fatty

the draize train
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 04:41:03 (PDT) | #11

Who cares if the songs were your favorites or your least favorites the cool part is that The Smiths' song was played! And JG is one of the funniest comedians I have ever seen!

Candy Apple <[email protected]>
Mobile, AL - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 06:14:25 (PDT) | #12

Nothing on this site has offended me until now. I am probably the biggest Smiths/ Morrissey fan and I am offended that fellow fans could be so insensitive towards overweight people. Morrissey sings about them in a positive light - as we should be talking about them the same way! I have always been the "biggest" girl, the "fattest" one in class but listening to the Smiths and Morrissey was an escape for me - they did not care that I was fat. I saw Morrissey in 1991 and Gary Day genuinely reached out to me and gave me a great big hug! It was right before they went on stage and played, There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends, he smiled at me through the entire song :)
I could not imagine the dissapointment that they would feel if they read these rude posts about fat girls!

Petra Stachkunas <[email protected]>
Westwood, CA - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 07:02:29 (PDT) | #13

I am confused Petra - Where were the negative fat comments - It seemed to me that everyone was very positive towards larger women - and JG has really come along way. I believe most of the comments were -she is great, I love her, etc.
Are you just talking to say that you typed a lengthy post?

Tom Turner
Phoenix, AZ - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 07:17:36 (PDT) | #14

P.S. does have a very good point. If Moz read over these posts he probably wouldn't be too happy with what most of you had to say about your fellow human beings!!!! Be nice. OUTTTTT!

warren
Chespaw - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 07:18:34 (PDT) | #15

I am with TT - I missed the negativity - it sounds to me like Warren and Petra have some issues.

Scott W
Boston, Mass - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 07:26:07 (PDT) | #16

Thanks fo backing me Warren, I usually think your posts are idiotic but you came through on this one.
Are you overweight, too?

Petra Stachkunas <[email protected]>
Westwood, CA - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 07:29:11 (PDT) | #17

Chill Scott W., all is fine. I think we need to be supportive to all persons on this site. Thin or fat, gay or straight we all love the great one!

Martha Dumptruck
Big Fun - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 07:32:37 (PDT) | #18

Someone please bludgeon her...

Mike Joyce <Fat girls eat, bad girls get eaten>
Russholme, Manchester, England - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 07:50:56 (PDT) | #19

This is so great! I love JG - She has always been my idol. I have this denim shirt that I wear every day because I am trying to hide myself from the fat haters of the world. Because of how far JG has come it gives me hope that I too can give up my fast food binges and start putting the past behind me and looking at the "Sweetness" in life!

Schultzie
Largo, FL - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 08:50:29 (PDT) | #20

Moz fans come in all shapes and sizes. If she was smart she would use her money to make a movie about god himself"MORRISSEY" maybe oliver stone could direct and kevin Costner could play morrissey?

Dave <[email protected]>
Boston - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 09:04:04 (PDT) | #21

Soooo.....Craigers is a Smiths fan? Cool! =)

Lifeguard Commenting
The Wrong Coast - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 09:41:15 (PDT) | #22

Petra,
No way babe. I am slim, trim and can bench press the Gym. I take a weight lifting class at school.
And in 2yrs I plan on getting a membership probably at Golds Gym or something. OUTTTT!!!!

warren
Chespaw - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 10:08:46 (PDT) | #23

Martha Dumptruck?? Oh Like that is an appropiate
name for this topic. Please think of others before making fun.

Tina
Houston Texas - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 10:26:09 (PDT) | #24

JG is awesome! I read that she is a huge fan of the movie, "Heathers" thus the appropriate posting name of M.D. Tina, get a clue! And Petra, you are always loved no matter what!

Crystal K.
Butte - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 11:27:27 (PDT) | #25

Shultzie, if you are for real - then may God bless! I actually was in your neck of the woods last year for the tribute to Hemingway, you know he has a house right on Key West. By the way, I also wear big denim shirts, I think people like Jeanine Gar make it okay for people like us. Drop me a line if interested.

Brenda Driggers <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 11:35:07 (PDT) | #26

Crystal K,
I can assure you JG, as you call her, has zero interest in a ridiculous teen age flick like
"Heathers". Remember JG is an intelligent woman.

Heather
Cleveland - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 11:41:09 (PDT) | #27

Hey! Heather - lighten up chic!
Intellegent women actually do ridiculous things such as;
watch silly films,
say silly things,
date silly people
and look silly
and this my friend is why Janine is so there. She is totally silly!

Star-Child
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 12:02:43 (PDT) | #28

Pardon me Star-Child - I am usually so on your side but I have to butt in here to say - Please speak for yourself with the women = silliness plight your are pulling for. If you are having a problem getting your life together maybe you and "mary jane" Ought to not be spending so much time together.

Joyce Rourke
Indio, CA - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 12:26:10 (PDT) | #29

Schultzie??? Brenda???? Ladies, do we have a Looooooooooooooooove connection? Please keep us up to date in your affairs.

Warren
Chespaw - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 12:45:47 (PDT) | #30

Star-Child. (ha) I'm sorry I just find your name so amusing. Life is not one big silly game. Have "Fun" I do, but to look at things as silly is somewhat Childish. Enjoy your movies.

Heather
Cleveland - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 12:55:15 (PDT) | #31

Heather - pleasure is mine to amuse. Keep that little chin up, it gets rather muddy in Cleveland, does it not?

Star-Child
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 12:59:22 (PDT) | #32

??? "It gets rather muddy in Cleveland." ???
I don't know where you lived in Cleveland but your answer is no? Have you seen "Airheads" or
"Clueless" yet? I think they are right up your alley.

Heather
Cleveland - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 13:10:29 (PDT) | #33

Heather,

Either sit on my face or shut the hell up!

I'm OUT!!!!!!

Warren
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 13:20:57 (PDT) | #34

Easy Heather I believe that Star Child was making a reference to not only the post being a little "muddy" but also in her defense I was just in Cuyahoga and perhaps it was the rain that day but I would say muddy was an understatement. I see no reason for blatantly rude posts - if you disagree than state your point and move on - do you need a referee on this site or what!

Scott W
Boston, Mass - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 13:27:28 (PDT) | #35

Warren - Please keep your psycho sexual fantasies to yourself - the rest of us are trying to keep our lunches down!

Joyce Rourke
Indio, CA - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 13:28:51 (PDT) | #36

I was curious if it would be possible, maybe just one time, for us to comment on a story without the discussion degrading into insults and name calling? It's just a thought.

joe <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 13:30:24 (PDT) | #37

Heather - easy, easy, easy (as they say I am). This is all in gest. a.k.a. - "Fun"

Star-Child
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 13:30:30 (PDT) | #38

Who would sit on your face, Warren?
It sounds kind of uncomfortable.?

David J. <murphyknowsbhaol.com>
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 13:33:19 (PDT) | #39

drat! My email was posted wrong.

David J. <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 13:36:54 (PDT) | #40

David J,

I have a really long tongue! Chicks can really get off!!!

Any takers?

Warren Evil Twin Brother
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 13:44:27 (PDT) | #41

Ohhh Warren!!! This feels great!

Caligula
Warren's Face - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 13:46:58 (PDT) | #42

Excuse me but I thought I graduated highschool in like 1989 and then even worse I thought I purposely omitted the fraternal life style in college. However I thought joining in on this site may have been as bad as joining Kappa Kappa I'm Obnoxious! Please refrain from being such sexual deprived predators, it is extremely unbecoming!

David J. <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 13:58:20 (PDT) | #43

I am sorry - for a minute I thought I was on the Morrissey web site - I must have somehow gotten URL's mixed up and gone to the desperate men who never get sex site. I will try to go find intelligent comments elsewhere.

Joyce Rourke
Indio, CA - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 14:01:02 (PDT) | #44

I am confused. The reference I made to being "easy" was in gest thus it was a joke. If the thought of a girl being easy gets so many guys off, that is truly a shame. I wonder whatever happened to the nice guys? The guys that actually think and feel with their brain - oops thats right, they are called females!

Star-Child
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 14:05:31 (PDT) | #45

Way to go girls! I do not think that Warren was actually posting, it must have been someone else on this site. I am sure that he is more decent than that after all he stuck up for me, today. I will go to sleep happy, all 210 pounds of me, as I think about the slim, trim boy from Chespaw. Where is Chespaw, anyway?

Petra Stachkunas <[email protected] >
Westwood, CA - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 14:23:03 (PDT) | #46

To: Warren's Evil Twin Brother

I am extremely saddened by the depths to which you have sunk. Your comments are not only repulsive and lascivious but also extremely offensive. I fear for your future as a young man trying to make his way in this world.

-
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 14:33:42 (PDT) | #47

Actually ditto to my other son, Warren.
A terrible travesty to mankind.

-
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 14:37:13 (PDT) | #48

Ahhhh...
The sound of silence!

Paul Simon
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 14:39:55 (PDT) | #49

hmm...may be too late to comment on the story, but I am big fans or Craig and Janeane and I couldn't be more happy to hear this! I missed it.*sigh*

Corey
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 15:37:01 (PDT) | #50

For what it is worth, I have a strange suspicion that we have just witnessed a terrible thing on this site. The mis-use of David T.'s hard work on building this site is pathetic. You ronchy American boys are all the same. Calm down and take a nice long cold shower - that is what we tell our beaus to do when they get animalistic on us, here.

Henrietta Hetnler
Brussels - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 15:49:57 (PDT) | #51

my thoughts exactly, henrietta! we should remember those posts whenever there is a fight on the discussion board USA Vs EUROPE/ENGLAND..

meanwhile, please the press in belgium..

noam <[email protected]>
israel - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 16:38:20 (PDT) | #52

As far as I'm concerned, everyone has an ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE time in high school. So stop whining about it all you goth/alterna geeks (like JG) who may seemingly have a diploma but in reality never graduated!
Talent is faceless and bodiless. Work on yours. JG has and has obviously made a success of herself.

Jeff <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 17:53:08 (PDT) | #53

"don't blame me, blame heather, heather.

i
see - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 18:14:49 (PDT) | #54

I think we're missing the bigger picture here:
Craigers likes our Man. Our Man lives in California. Craigers does his show in California.
Our Man likes pretty TV people (remember his
obsession with Matt LeBlanc?). I could say more,
but you get the general idea.

veering cliffhuxtableward
- Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 22:01:03 (PDT) | #55

C'mon friends

Love, peace and harmony,
Love, peace and harmony,
Very nice, very nice,
very nice, very nice,
Maybe in the next world!

As Warren in Chespaw would say, "Out!"

Dagenham Dave
Chicago - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 06:24:14 (PDT) | #56

Maybe in the next world.

Colby O'Neil
Ireland - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 06:45:07 (PDT) | #57

What obsession with Matt LeBlanc?

Wouldn't it be a dream come true if Craigers and Moz hooked up?

Susie
- Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 07:10:23 (PDT) | #58

Craig is not pretty enough for MOZ - he is too preppy.

Joyce Rourke
Indio, CA - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 07:12:52 (PDT) | #59

Preppy but oh so adorable!

Genevieve Parker
South Tampa - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 07:17:54 (PDT) | #60

Hey someone is doing it again!!!! I didn't tell anyone to sit on my face, that wasn't me who wrote in. Like I want somones butt resting on my on my face??? Think again. OUTTTTTT!!!!!

Warren
Chespaw - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 08:11:28 (PDT) | #61

I am with you Jeff, man! I think highschool is a huge waste of time! I did not even meet my wife there, wait I don't have a wife - anymore.

Tater
- Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 08:17:11 (PDT) | #62

Sorry if I offended anyone, yesterday. I really dig Janeane and I like the insight but I was not referring to my sexuality when I was telling Schultzie to email me. By the way, Schultzie are you on the site, today? I really think it is odd that we both wear denim shirts for the same reason, what a scream.

Brenda Driggers <[email protected] >
- Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 09:23:04 (PDT) | #63

I really like Janeane and her dark sense of humour..It's believable that she was actually into Goth style and manic depression...just watch her in "Michelle and Romy, High School reunion (with Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino)...funny movie and a treat to see Janeane appeared in it...How soon is now is undoubtedly the best Smith's song (among so many others...)

stephen brisebois <[email protected]>
Montreal - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 09:27:05 (PDT) | #64

Yes I am here - I haven't been posting because, Frankly, with the posts that have come up I have felt a little uncomfortable so I have been reading from afar.
I would love to email you - I don't know about you but my love for my denim is like my love for a good Big Mac and Fries.

Schultzie
Largo, FL - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 09:47:13 (PDT) | #65

"You're the on for me......... fatty!

BIlly Budd <[email protected]>
Toronto. Canada - Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 18:56:48 (PDT) | #66

It's amazing that there are so many losers who have nothing better to do than go back and forth with childish comments towards each other...I thought that this was a Morrissey web site not a yahoo chat room....It's really sad that there are Morrissey fans who are complete idiots...As for Jeanane Garafolo, I think she is awesome!

Long Beach, California - Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 01:05:19 (PDT) | #67

I love Jeanne now. She used to get on my nerves but anyone who knows the words to a Smith's song is cool with me!

Cynthia
El Paso, TX - Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 09:33:08 (PDT) | #68

Hi to THEA of UST and APLHA PHI OMEGA. I think she was right fine in saying that

Christian Cruz <[email protected]>
Manila, Philippines - Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 00:28:17 (PDT) | #68

Janeane Garafolo- ROCKS!
In ref. to her comment about being FAT and hiding behing the gothic door!

Janeane is WAY cool! Who gives a @#!!! who's FAT, what is FAT? What is UGLY? What is ATTRACTIVE? Get the picture?

Dave <[email protected]>
- Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 23:47:37 (PDT) | #69

Right on Dave....I agree with you. :)

Long Beach, California - Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 00:10:15 (PDT) | #70

how obscene. you people are the reasons why the world is in the state it is in now. its amazing that some of you would be so keen on the Smiths and Moz when you cant even understand what they say most of the time because you have been filled up in your minds with useless garbage that you slop around during slander matches such as these. please grow up and accept that you have a lot to learn from life before you can succeed and move on.

Natiffany
Indiana - Sat, Oct 09, 1999 at 22:40:02 (PDT) | #71

I know this is old news.
but i know where JG lives.
jes

jessica half a person now <[email protected]>
NYC - Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 22:54:32 (PDT) | #72

* return to Morrissey-solo