Main
Electronic 'best of' coming soon?
Posted on Mon, Sep 27 1999 at 10:07 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Shawn Marpoe:

I don't know how much you keep track of Johnny's work but apparently there is a "best of" album by Electronic coming out in Japan sometime in November. That's according to a record store here in Japan anyways...

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

best of? short record,eh?

david edge
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 10:19:19 (PDT) | #1

Bernard & Johnny rules!

Bjørn Ove <[email protected]>
Norway - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 10:26:26 (PDT) | #2

So Basically it is going to be the first album plus Disapointed and then 2 songs from the 2nd album??? Ha. have not heard the 3rd album yet cause I live in the US. Oh well

Warren
Chespaw - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 10:26:31 (PDT) | #3

Hey, if A Flock Of Seagulls can do it....

Incidentally, this is going to be an EP, right? :)

Bigmouth Strikes Again <[email protected]>
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 14:13:01 (PDT) | #4

only 3albums and already a best of... the new order tradition goes on...

ozgur <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 15:13:14 (PDT) | #5

Well, this is interesting though possibly not a good conformation. 'Twisted Tenderness' is a great record, with 2 singles playing high on College radio, but they have only a handful of so called "chart toppers" to make up a greatest hits compilation. What gives? Besides, having already dished out $30 for their last effort, why would I do the same for a CD of familiar songs with Japenese scribbles on the side???

J.J. <[email protected]>
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 17:23:22 (PDT) | #6

I do think it's gonna be something like a blank tape...

Charles Byron <[email protected]>
Buenos Aires - Argentina - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 19:00:07 (PDT) | #7

{BEGIN RANT} YOU PEOPLE ARE ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A CLUE! IF MORRISSEY PUT OUT A BEST OF ALBUM AFTER THREE ALBUMS YOU WOULD BE LINING UP TO PURCHASE IT; EVEN IF HE ONLY HAD A COUPLE "CHART TOPPERS" [sic]. OF COURSE THEY ARE DOING IT FOR THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE IN THE INDUSTRY IS DOING IT FOR THE MONEY!!! IT IS A BUSINESS! HOW CAN I GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEADS????? THERE ARE VERY FEW EXCEPTIONS TO THAT RULE, TOM WAITES POPS TO MIND. HOW MANY OF YOU RAN PANTING TO THE RECORD STORE TO BUY BONA DRAG??? AN "ALBUM" CONTAINING ONE NEW SONG AND A COLLECTION OF SINGLES THAT YOU HAD ALREADY LAPPED UP OVER THE PREVIOUS TWO YEARS! MEBY---SAME THING. I LOVE MOZ, REALLY I DO.....BEEN A FAN SINCE 1985. BUT HE IS JUST LIKE ALL THESE OTHERS YOU CONTINUALLY BASH HERE ABOUT JUST TRYING TO CAPITALIZE ETC.,... HIS ONLY REAL COMPETION IN THE DEPARTMENT OF CLEVER MARKETING AND TRICKING YOU OUT OF MORE CASH IS MADONNA. HE IS IN IT FOR THE MONEY. JUST REMEMBER THAT. "WE ARE GOING ON TOUR BECAUSE I WANT TO SING" PLEASE! IF THEY WERE PLAYING A COUPLE SHOWS, I WOULD BY THAT, BUT THIS IS A MASSIVE TOUR. AND APPARENTLY ONLY THE FIRST LEG OF AN EVEN LARGER TOUR.......ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY {END RANT}

i
see - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 21:32:05 (PDT) | #8

OUCH! okay, okay. Message received i .
It's about the money...cool. Moz can have mine.

Sheila
Los Angeles - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 23:16:37 (PDT) | #9

Tip for the title : Disappointed....because it is.

Pinkie <[email protected]>
Hungary - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 00:00:53 (PDT) | #10

MEBY a "greatest hits"???? Have you lost it. Maybe for me and most of you it was only one new unreleased song (and not really new...just a different live version)....think of all the people out there who don't go out and buy every Morrissey single and have heard all of the b-sides issued over the past two years.

These records are intended as not only a bonus to us as big fans (the convenience of all these "singles" songs on one cd???) but think about the casual fan and the teeny-bopper fans who can't afford to spend $10-20 on every single that is issued.

I for one make alot of money and not only buy the Moz albums, but I like to think I "collect" them as well. I have every Moz and Smiths 12", cd single, tape, cd, poster, and music book issued. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate the fact that Moz (or his record company) would like to promote his music to a wider audience. Of course they'll try and make money in the process, but I'm more than happy to gove them my twelve bucks.

By the way, the latest Electronic album sucks big time and the thought of a greatest hits album made me vomit violently this morning. Thank You.

Morris C. <[email protected]>
Here....as usual - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 05:45:45 (PDT) | #11

Wow! I guess some of you feel a little too strongly about an album coming out! Everyone cut back on the coffee.

Scott W
Boston, Mass - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 06:18:43 (PDT) | #12

Regarding the rant about hypocrisy and money,etc.

This is a Morrissey web site, so doesn't it make sense that you would overlook the flaws of the one you love and condemn others you may not like as well?

It's human nature. I don't visit this site to hear anybody bash Morrissey. Perhaps your rant belongs on page devoted solely to Marr and perhaps you should just not read the comments you find so upsetting and save yourself the stress...
(I for one release you of your perceived obligation that you must compel yourself to get any kind of knowledge through my head.)

just some ideas...

helen
Baltimore, MD - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 08:11:59 (PDT) | #13

Without coffee, we would be an absolute pathetic bunch!

Denny
Methow Valley, Washington - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 08:53:12 (PDT) | #14

I guess without coffee we would be a bunch of cows - unless we use lemons that is.

Scott W
Boston, Mass - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 11:30:55 (PDT) | #15

MORRISS C. -
THANKS FOR DEVOTING AN ENTIRE PARAGRAPH OF YOUR POST TO TELLING US ALL HOW MUCH YOU MAKE AND ALL THE NICE THINGS YOU OWN.... YOUR FAMILY MUST BE VERY PROUD. BY THE BY, AT NO POINT IN MY RANT DID I CALL MEBY A GREATEST HITS ALBUM. SPEND SOME OF THAT MONEY ON A READING COMPREHENSION TUTOR.

HELEN-
AT NO POINT EITHER DID I "BASH" MORRISSEY (IN FACT SAID I LOVE MOZ) OR EVEN MENTION MARR!

i
see - Tue, Sep 28, 1999 at 18:03:06 (PDT) | #16

This is unbeliveable, but then again, it's all about money!!! I think the reason is because it might take some years before they release another Electronic album...a "best of" was their only solution to maybe sell to a larger audience who never heard of their 3 album "Twisted Tenderness" because it was so damn expensive to people outside U.K. (Imports..u know!!!)

stephen brisebois <[email protected]>
Montreal - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 09:33:32 (PDT) | #17

Exactly the point I was trying to make by saying "I make alot of money" (do you really think I would try to impress a bunch of people who don't know who I really am or who I know???). It takes "alot of money" to be able to collect all the singles containing all the b-sides included on Bona Drag and MEBY (I only mentioned the words "greatest hits" as that is what 'I' used as a comparison to buying the new Electronic album).

I am fortunate enough to afford every single issued by the bands I listen to, but I would sure appreciate an Electronic greatest hits album if I couldn't (or maybe I wouldn't...please refer to the "vomit" remark in my previous post).

Morris C. <[email protected]>
Here....as usual - Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 13:43:19 (PDT) | #18

Hmm, but you must please remember that Electronic have produced at least two albums which are better than anything Morrissey has done in his solocareer...maybe with the exception of "Vauxhall and I".

Rickard
- Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 14:55:22 (PDT) | #19

Alright, alright. Everyone here has an issue and I think we have a problem with the fact that we are paying too much for Moz and Electronic gizmos, correct? Except for 'i' who apparently vomits when she/he hears news of a greatest hits LP. Maybe she/he should consult a physician. Bolemia is sooo '87. And besides, the music styles of Moz is incomparible to what Electronic is now doing. Ever heard Moz do synth-pop? Didn't think so. So shut your pie holes and get on with life. LIVE DAMMIT!!Oh, and go blow 30 bucks on 'Twisted Tenderness'. It rocks! Haaa!

J.J. <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 11:23:55 (PDT) | #20

I absolutely love Electronic. It's a shame that so many Moz fans cannot stand Electronic. All I have to say is that many people are missing out on Electronic's music. Twisted Tenderness is an awesome album. I think it's great that I can still hear Marr play his guitar. This is his band just as much as The Smiths were Moz's and his band. He's not a studio musician as he was with Talking Heads, The The, The Pretenders, etc. A lot of people also trash Marr for making keyboard music. I personally think that "Oscillate Wildly" was a precursor to Electronic. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, Moz has used keyboards in his music as well, right? So, what's the big deal that Marr plays keyboards with Electronic? It's not as if Marr didnt play the piano and the keys with the smiths.

Electronic Fan
- Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 21:14:03 (PDT) | #21

The problem is not Johnny. It's Bernard...

rob <[email protected]>
- Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 12:09:59 (PDT) | #22

An Electronic best of, eh? Well, they've put out seven singles (Getting Away With It, Get the Message, Disappointed, Forbidden City, For You, Vivid, Late at Night). That leaves at least five tracks left over until the disc becomes a passable album (I believe albums should always have between 12 and 17 songs apiece). If Messrs. Marr and Sumner had brains, they would toss in a few b-sides and a new song or two. If you like Electronic, you will run out and buy the album because their singles are prohibitively expensive and rare in the US and the B-sides are (for the most part) pretty good. The new song is par for the course. They're obviously doing it for the money: at this stage of the game, Electronic is not going to win over any new fans. It's like U2, New Order, or Morrissey: if you don't like them by now, you never will.

Reminder: you're not ripping your fans off if they want you to.

AJP
- Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 19:09:07 (PDT) | #23

* return to Morrissey-solo