Main
Trent Reznor briefly mentions Smiths
Posted on Fri, Sep 24 1999 at 8:32 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Janel Jones:

I was reading an article in USA Today (Sept. 21) about the new NIN release and was surprised to read Trent Reznor mentioning The Smiths.

In the article Trent talks about what to expect from the new cd, and later adds that, "I'm envious of a band that sounds like a band, I always wished I had the structure of The Cure or The Smiths..."

And from an anonymous person, a link to the full article, "Reznor coaxes beauty out of despair".

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

Isn't this amazing? The band has been dead for nearly 12 years and (current/hip)artists still speak of them like there still around. I'll bet if they got back together the would shock the world!!!!

Warren
Chespaw - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 09:23:49 (PDT) | #1

Strange but true. Trent Reznor says the same thing about Morrissey on this limited edition interview disc called "Disturbed". He mentions Morrissey's name softly, the interviewer was shocked that Trent Reznor's music was influenced by Morrisseys music....

O. Annie <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 09:27:22 (PDT) | #2

i was so stoked to find out that trent is influenced by the smiths and morrissey. its so wierd cuz i always thought it was very strange that two of my most favorite bands of all time are moz/smiths and NIN. they seem to have no common bonds other than front men with incredibly strong convictions and emotions. i feel strangely validated somehow. =)

but for some reason, i dont think moz is much of a nin fan.

and for that matter i dont think either would site counting crows as an influence which completes my bizarre musical triangle.

but who knows now. =)

mekinism

mekinism <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 10:01:23 (PDT) | #3

I'm not a fan of Nine Inch Nails but I have to give Trent credit because his music is original and he obviously has good taste.

The Girl Racer <[email protected]>
Chicago - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 10:31:01 (PDT) | #4

Trent Reznor is the coolest musician! He is so into originality and he is totally not into mirroring mainstream music, makes sense he's into Morrissey! NIN has an incredible sound - viva Trent!

Gena Moore <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 10:43:04 (PDT) | #5

How do Morrissey and Robert Smith feel about their bands always being mentioned in the same sentence? I was under the impression that they don't like each other very much.

Helen <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 10:54:34 (PDT) | #6

It's too bad Trent wasn't influenced by any of the Smiths' wit or humor.

Dear Lord, man! Take a pill! That new CD is horrendous in its self-pity.

John tha...well, you know
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 11:12:47 (PDT) | #7

Helen,
You are so right on. They are always mentioned together as "gloom" rock or whatever. I heard that they are not friends and its not because Robert is being hard to get along with its because (like most other artists admit) Moz is just plain difficult to get along with. Oh well as long as he keeps churning out the great songs I don't Mind, I don't mind if you forget me...........

Warren
Chespaw - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 12:43:36 (PDT) | #8

Warren,
What you said is true, but just for the record, I did hear a piece of an interview with Robert Smith once in which he was asked about his "depressing" music. He responded that although his music was dark, he wasn't a "professional moaner" like Morrissey.

Helen <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 14:14:20 (PDT) | #9

I Think the reason The Smiths and The cure are always mentioned as influences together is because they were both bands ahead of their time and very original and of course releasing music at the same time. It seems every band I like has some connection to them in some way and heres yet another example :)

Unruly Girl ~Going to see Moz in 2 weeks baby!
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 14:41:13 (PDT) | #10

i love nin, the smiths, and morrissey... is that strange? the new nin album is great....go buy it! support a rock band....i'm afraid rap is taking over....

kevin <[email protected]>
atlanta - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 18:36:55 (PDT) | #11

I wouldn't say The Smiths were a "gloom band", like The Cure, you know... Morrissey have written the funniest lyrics... "Bigmouth Strikes Again", "Girlfriend In A Coma", "Frankly, Mr Shankly", "Death Of A Disco Dancer", "Meat Is Murder" (no, just kidding about the last one). He's just really flexible as a lyricist, I think, in a way that I think most people can't be.

Henrik Rydéhn <[email protected]>
- Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 01:45:27 (PDT) | #12

...and I would hardly say that The Cure were a 'gloom band' either. They started off as a pop band (boys don't cry), and then yes they had a dark period, but from then on they have always balanced out their more dark or serious songs with pop songs like inbetween days, lovecats, just like heaven, etc. etc. Just my two cents, I like both The Cure and The Smiths a great deal.

Jason <[email protected]>
College Station, TX - Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 10:30:05 (PDT) | #13

I think trent is trying to resurrect the rock'n'roll band image that he helped to destroy back in the early 90s.

Jeff <[email protected]>
- Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 08:45:31 (PDT) | #14

I like.........
1)Smiths/Moz
2)Depeche Mode
3)U2
4)The Cure
5)New Order
Pretty sweeeeet huh?? What do you guys think?

Warren
Chespaw - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 09:42:22 (PDT) | #15

i don't think his comment is an exaltation of either the cure or the smiths. he was just using them as examples of a drum/bass/guitar structure, a band.

John in NJ <[email protected]>
Trenton, NJ - Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 10:44:04 (PDT) | #16

I am a huge fan of both Morrissey and The Cure and I think that it's not all Morrissey's doing that they don't get along...I once heard an interview with Robert Smith where he said "Morrissey is a boring bastard" I think there has just always been a "hatred" for one another.

Selena <[email protected]>
Long Beach, California - Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 13:46:33 (PDT) | #17

Nine Inch Nails....Gag choke wretch

Birkenhead
- Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 13:51:30 (PDT) | #18

warren, your list of favorite bands is so trite and typical. nine inch nails is worse than the starland vocal band or korn. awful. the show in tempe ruled by the way. sucks you all couldnt have been there. wish you were.

jball <[email protected]>
tempe,az - Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 23:39:49 (PDT) | #19

what about dear Siouxsie Sioux?
what a pioneer...

jen <[email protected]>
- Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 11:30:56 (PDT) | #20

* return to Morrissey-solo