Main
Doc Martens book features Morrissey, among others
Posted on Fri, Sep 24 1999 at 8:31 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Jake The Stripper:

Interesting bit off the web... go to Dr. Martens site (Choose UK & Ireland, then click on Dr. Martens book launch). There's info about Madness, and a new Madness boot, as well as an excerpt about the forthcoming book which will mention you know who. I looked around on other places on the site, such as highlights from the book, and he's not mentioned there.

Such a little thing, or has Morrissey again placed himself firmly in popular culture history?

Excerpt:

To celebrate 20 years of Madness, Dr. Martens have issued a special 'Madness Boot', stamped with the logo of the band who championed the footwear right from their early days. To support the release, the band will be at the Doc Martens London Covent Garden store at 2pm on Thursday 30th September, signing the new boot, purchasers of which will also get a free copy of a new Doc Martens book, celebrating DM's 40 years of 'association with youth culture' and features Madness, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Morrissey, Blur, The Manics, Suede and lots more.

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

This is pretty sweeeeet. Are those bands (Depeche Mode, Morrissey and The Cure) going to be there for the signing? It is a lttle confusing? that would be awesome to have all the bands sign your Docs. Maybe they should have a signing over here on the east coast too or something?

Warren The Doc wearer
Chespaw - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 09:07:50 (PDT) | #1

Hey Warren obsess much about the East Coast?
I seriously doubt these bands will become singing boot signers.

Scott W
Boston, Mass - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 09:47:13 (PDT) | #2

Doc what? Who is doc marten? Please bring me up to speed on the 1999 hip terms.

Mike Otwell
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 10:03:17 (PDT) | #3

Am I the only one that doesn't like the yellow stitching?

The Girl Racer <[email protected]>
Chicago - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 10:34:36 (PDT) | #4

Hey Otwell,
Doc Martens are boots/shoes that "alternative" people who are in bands or go to clubs or whatever wear. You won't find jocks wearing them.
Trust me on this, if you have to ask what they are, you shouldn't be wearing them. Oh Yeah OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Warren
Chespaw - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 12:36:34 (PDT) | #5

does "alternative" = trendy? are we talking about LEATHER Doc Martin's? did our man sell out again?

weird person
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 12:42:00 (PDT) | #6

OK boys and girls, first of all stop looking at your doc martens. Now visualize them pointing at
that stage whatever the day it's supose to happen,
if it will ever happen. Beautifull isn't it?

oscar <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 14:34:14 (PDT) | #7

DM's trendy? They're not even alternative - they are working-men's boots worn by skinheads/mods/mothers/tea-ladies. If anyone decides to get a pair, make sure it they have at least 10 eyelets, anything less and you're liable to get beaten up ( probably mistaken for a student )
Up the 'ammers.

Consumer Monkey <[email protected]>
Manchester - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 16:37:38 (PDT) | #8

warren,
i like you:) you're funny:)

adrien <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 16:39:15 (PDT) | #9

Everybody wears Doc Martens. They were the prototype for the thick-soled, clunky shoe madness that swept the fashion world in the early nineties. So if you don't wear them you probably wear something like them. The shoes look stupid - boots are much superior. I think DMs were originally orthopedic shoes (hence the name and the comfort level).

the singing defective
- Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 18:29:45 (PDT) | #10

THE CURE...didn't Robert Smith wear those funky white sneakers and not docs. I always thought those white sneakers were a bad fashion statement.

Moz cowboy <[email protected]>
Long Beach - Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 18:42:11 (PDT) | #11

yes..I've seen Robert wearing Doc's in pictures, but there have been many more pictures with him wearing the ugly sneakers*L*

Corey <[email protected]>
- Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 10:30:06 (PDT) | #12

Docs were EXTREMELY popular in the late 80's-early 90's, when I was in high school. All the designer clothing wearing trendies wore them at my school. They were so popular at my school in fact, that I refused to wear them. (I didn't like being with the "in" crowd.) I then graduated and bought myself a couple of pairs. :)

Bigmouth Strikes Again <[email protected]>
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - Sat, Sep 25, 1999 at 16:33:25 (PDT) | #13

i've got a pair of purple ones (years old now) and a pair featuring the union jack. and i don't really care if they're trendy or not, i just like them.

julie <[email protected]>
oz - Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 06:28:07 (PDT) | #14

I'd like to see Morrissey wearing a pair of knee high Docs with a bright colored jump suit tucked into them and a huge afro and surrounded by hot ladies Benny Hill style. Then he'd be the last of the Famous International Playboys.

Pimp Daddy Hustler Stack Money
- Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 09:59:37 (PDT) | #15

Dr. Martins suck my puckerhole anyway

Birkenhead
- Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 16:53:32 (PDT) | #16

got a pair of 1490's 10 eye. love em to death, gave away all my little fag Nike and Adidas CRAP. put red laces in my docs too. look even better now too, don't do this if you don't know what it means. lace color has a hidden message.

Luftwaffe
Vinland (Canada) - Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 16:56:42 (PDT) | #17

Does Morrissey wear leather? He shouldn't.

Godot
- Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 09:51:49 (PDT) | #18

* return to Morrissey-solo