Main
Another Momus mention
Posted on Sun, Sep 19 1999 at 1:58 p.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From anon:

Sept 17 - At the CMJ Musicfest in a small NYC club, Fe3, Momus, who was headlining, mentioned Morrissey a couple of times during his time onstage. While introducing a song, he joked that many English men's lives were destroyed by Morrissey and in the song, sang "...wanted to kill Morrissey, and we wouldn't get arrested for it..."

One of the earlier bands, Stars, did a charming blues/jazz rendition of "This Charming Man."

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

BIG WOW....the smiths did it better...

amy
CaLiFoRnIa - Sun, Sep 19, 1999 at 18:22:49 (PDT) | #1

I am obsessed with Morrissey. I must mention him at every opportunity. I love him xoxox

momus
- Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 09:39:56 (PDT) | #2

I was in the same audience at the FEZ (not Fe3) in NYC. The comment about Morrissey was very off the cuff and lighthearted. Mr. Currie does not obsess about our man; the recent mentioning of Morrissey is purely topical because of the song which was commissioned for "Stars Forever." It is a great song, the patron Maf is a big Moz fan and wanted Momus to mention Morrissey and his "I am Nobody" bracelet in his song. That is all. Please let this be the end of it.

As for the Stars cover of "This Charming Man," it would rank among the best of Smiths covers out there. It was brilliant! You just had to hear it, I guess.

shawn <[email protected]>
gr, mi - Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 13:14:38 (PDT) | #3

The songs kernel as far as I know is based on the ennui enducing concept of fame. The reference to Morrissey is fleeting but appears to be the crux of peoples reaction to it. There are perhaps 3 levels of fame neatly personified in this art: ie Morrissey:Momus:Maf...Obviously the scenerio in the song commits the listener to reference cliches such as 'famous when dead'..however the link that Valerie Solanas is infinately more interesting than Warhol appears lost to most ...If i were 'famous' then perhaps the reviewers would spend more time rustling through my ashtray..

Maf <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 15:57:59 (PDT) | #4

Well Momus is quite patently bonkers, nice lyrics, shame about the songs.. he did "Hairstyle Of The Devil" and "Love songs for the disabled" or something didn't he? Neway.. more Moz references by other artistes.. useless punk screamers Idlewild's singer Roddy Woomble(!) said he "always liked bands like The Smiths" when referring to their more melodic new stuff - I thought it was REM they were copying! in an interview on the Scottish Evening Session on Radio 1, B&S singer Stuart Murdoch was recently spotted at an Ayr football match wearing a Smiths t-shirt and finally and most importantly "Panic" was played as background music to "TV's greatest hits" on BBC1 with the lovely Gaby Roslin when one of the chosen shows was Top Of The Pops("Hang the DJ")!

John <[email protected]>
Scotland - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 17:41:44 (PDT) | #5

* return to Morrissey-solo