Main
Johnny Marr WILL be at Coachella (with Beck), solo shows in Oct.
Posted on Tue, Sep 14 1999 at 10:05 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Gerald Acuna:

I guess it's not a rumor after all. I know this issue has been going back and forth but here's another source, this time from Rodney on the Roq from KROQ. On his show Rodney (Bingenheimer), who seems to know just about everything about the britpop scene, states that him and Johnny were talking about various issues from not being in Oasis to Johnny interviewing David Bowie. Plus Rodney stated that Johnny IS going to play the Coachella Music festival, BUT only with Beck and NOT with Morrissey. As a bonus, Rodney says that Johnny most likely is going to play some gigs in the L.A. area probably late October, so look out for him and his new band. And guess who's drumming for his new band: none other than Ringo Starr's son.

Plus Rodney States that Oasis is not going to ask Andy Rourke to join the band as some rumors have stated. (if I heard correctly).

Just wanted to state this info in hopes that since Marr and Moz are going to perform on the same venue and same night. Maybe they should kiss and make-up for all of their adoring fans. Coachella 99'...see you all there.

Additionally, from John Emett:

I was listening to "Rodney on the Roq," (KROQ's Britpop and indie show) on Sunday night and he was relating stories on his recent trip to London. He interviewed Johnny Marr and Marr said he WILL NOT play with Morrissey and is sticking to his own work with Beck. He also said that Marr will be playing @ The Roxy in LA at the end of OCT to promote his new work.

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

I KNOW ITS GOING TO HAPPEN SOMEDAY.... AND THAT DAY IS OCTOBER 9TH, THERE IS NO WAY THAT THEY WILL NOT BE PLAYING TOGETHER, IF YOU HAVENT GOTTEN YOUR TICKET YET FOR COACHELLA YOU BETTER OR ELSE YOU OR GOING TO MISS THE GEATEST REUNION OF THE 20TH CENTURY

ME
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 10:31:12 (PDT) | #1

Sounds very promising! If that is of interest: Saw Ringo Starr's son playing the drums during THE WHO's Quadrophenia tour in Germany in 1997. Did a good job replacing the immortal Keith Moon. Will surely do even a better job for Johnny.

Mat <%00>
%00 - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 10:37:42 (PDT) | #2

Okay,
I don't see how Johnny could not play with Morrissey if he's going to be at Coachella. Come on! How could Johnny expect us to believe that he's going to be there just to play with Beck?! If Johnny steps out on stage with Moz, we will all go completely insane.
And if Johnny doesn't play with Morrissey, does this mean I will actually have to stay to watch Beck? Ugh!

Johnny Marr-no, really
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 10:43:45 (PDT) | #3

They wont play together...they dont hang out anymore....they could care less...so why go in expecting them to....They will NOT play together, so why should they...just to please their fans??? They dont have to do anything for any of you!!! The Smith are past...accept it, they have both moved on, so why havent you? Its over, they are making totally diferent styles of music now, and basicly doing their own thing....And dont forget about a small thing called pride.....belive me they wont swallow it for the likes of any of you...

Living in REALITY!!! <No way>
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 11:06:33 (PDT) | #4

Passion or Coincidence once prompted you to say
"Pride will tear us both apart....."

The Talking Heads Suck
Countryside Florida - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 11:39:44 (PDT) | #5

I use to think Marr was cool but he sounds like a punk here. If my guitarist ever ran his mouth about me like that I would punch him square in his face. He owes it to Moz to give him another chance. Don't be so selfish Johnnyyyyyyyyy.....
PS Who would want to play with Beck anyway??

Warren
Chespaw - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 11:49:41 (PDT) | #6

Oh my frickin' god. I'm so jealous of anyone going to the show. God damn the Mid-west!

The Girl Racer <[email protected]>
Chicago - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 12:28:19 (PDT) | #7

THE SMITHS IS DEAD

THESMITHS IS DEAD
THE SMITHS IS DEAD - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 12:59:02 (PDT) | #8

I think it would be cool if in the middle of Beck's set - Johnny played his solo rendition of Meat is Murder - and then Moz came in towards the middle to finish singing it for him. That would RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken
Long Island - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 14:11:24 (PDT) | #9

You guys, don't let pride ruin a potentially good thing. Please let us get what we want because for most of us out here.....we never have.

Arthur
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 16:47:19 (PDT) | #10

Warren you are getting progressively more ridiculous with each statement you post. Where do you see Johnny Marr running his mouth? Funny I didn't see anything in quotes do you? Give it a rest.
This isn't Morrissey versus Marr. Both of these two have thier own lives to lead and if they cross paths and decide to work together than fine if not, than that is ok too. Collectively they have given us plenty of music to enjoy isn't that enough or is it ok to slap people around because they aren't doing or saying what you want them to?
Sorry to use up this post space but our friend Warren never leaves an email address for anyone to talk with him over on the sidelines.
See everyone in Coachella!!!!!

Frankie Shankly(not Frank) <[email protected]>
Southern California - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 16:52:05 (PDT) | #11

I've never been interested in a Smiths reunion, but I'm interested in the INTEREST and I get a kick out of what a bad liar Johnny is. We all know what's gonna happen...

hee hee hee
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 17:42:11 (PDT) | #12

I touched you at the soundcheck

You had no real way of knowing

In my heart I begged "Take me with you ...

I don't care where you're going..."

But to you I was faceless

I was fawning, I was boring

Just a child from those ugly new houses

Who could never begin to know

WHO COULD NEVER REALLY KNOW

morrissey wrote that about most of you fans out there. you will never begain to know what it is like to be morrissey or marr. so don't act like you do. they are broken up. the smiths are not dead, they are a legend. let it be that and move on. i know that you would like to think that when you meet morrissey, like at a soundcheck, that he thinks that you are really special. but to him you are really just another fan. you will never begain to know what it is like for him. i am not saying that i do. i just understand that i will never understand. move on.

he doesn't owe you anything <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 18:08:16 (PDT) | #13

Although I'm completely crushed to be missing Morrissey in the US, I'll be in the UK for 2 weeks in October. Any heartbroken Morrissey fans in the Manchester/London area, please email me! We'll sob over fish & chips together..well..chips anyway..

Nate <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 19:52:19 (PDT) | #14

Everybody knows Morrissey and Marr are going to perform Smith material on the 9th.

Javier
Los Angeles - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 20:07:11 (PDT) | #15

Hi everyone. I am a poor freezingly cold soul from the east coast who will not have a chance to see Moz on his upcoming tour. I wondered if my fellow fans will try to record (audio or video) any of the concerts on the new tour? People did such a good job of bootlegging most of the shows on the "Maladjusted" tour. I hope this trend continues so that the unfortunate fans like myself will have a chance to enjoy whatever treats that Morrissey (and Marr?) might have in store for us.

joe <[email protected]>
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 20:43:28 (PDT) | #16

I'm slightly confused ... only one of these guys mentions Coachella. Is one of them letting his imagination run away with him? 'I know someone who knows him and he said ...' Johnny is definitely working with Beck, but maybe he WON'T be at the festival. These rumours are taking on a life of their own. I want to hear confirmation or denial from Marr and Morrissey themselves.

the singing defective
- Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 20:58:45 (PDT) | #17

First of all,he doesn't own you anything. His singing in the first person. I.E. "I touch you at the soundcheck", so why does he later sing, "Take me with you...I don't care were you're going". To you, which "you" is in the second person. Ergo us fans. So why would he (Moz) want to run off with his fans, if we're not special to him. Get it right you moron, Mister #13. I hate unbelievers. Let me live in my world of bliss. Which happens to include the Moz man.

School Boy
Moz Angeles - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 22:39:21 (PDT) | #18

It's so funny how everyone knows if, and i said if, moz and marr become all of a sudden great friends again. How everyone would change their opinions in a split second. Marr's great and Moz is incredible. It takes less energy to love then to hate you soon to be hypocrites...ala coachella or whenever.

Coachella Ruff Rider
Somewhere in between a dream - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 22:47:20 (PDT) | #19

I READ THAT MORRISSEY WAS A FAN OF BECK'S MUSIC HENCE THE BECK SHIRT IN THE "ALMA MATTERS" VIDEO... PERHAPS A BECK-MORRISSEY-MARR COLLABORATION? IT IS ONLY A RANDOM THOUGHT AND A LAUGHABLE ONE FOR THE MOST PART. STILL THE SPECULATION OF WHAT SOUNDS WOULD DEVELOP FROM A COLLABORATION OF SUCH MUSICAL AND LYRICAL TALENT... IT EITHER GIVES ME CHILLS OR MAKES MY SKIN CRAWL I CAN'T TELL.

p.s. WHO CARES ABOUT RINGO STARR MUCH LESS HIS SON?!?

PAUL LYNDE'S GHOSTWRITER
THE NATION OF ULYSSES - Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 01:34:04 (PDT) | #20

Marr is just a sad mf. Stop ranting about him. He is so bloody overrated. Morrissey doesn't need him.

goff
- Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 02:09:53 (PDT) | #21

Goff,
Are you nuts?? Everyone knows Moz's best stuff
was when he was with the Smiths. He is still doing some great songs but Marr would only make him better. Everyone know that.

Warren
Chespaw - Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 09:32:24 (PDT) | #22

Goff, Marr is a mf, but he's not overrated. His guitar work is absolutely awsome, second to none. I'm sad i cant go to that concert, but hope they do play together though, because even knowing they did would make me happy. When Moz played smiths songs on the concerts I went to, it just gave me chills.

Acquiesce <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 12:57:29 (PDT) | #23

i dunno whether moz will have a full show, but he will probably finish with smiths material..
agreed?
this material was wholly written by marr.
agreed?
the guitar reef johnny wrote for himself is performed best by himself.
agreed?
now, johnny knows all that and he will hear everything.
i am not talking about a reunion (which is a rumour WE started), but of a result of o phone call one made to the other or will make in the next few days, as the result of all those rumours.
it could also result in moz crediting johnny for the music of the song, and johnny will mention moz in someway when he shows up (if he shows up).

noam <[email protected]>
israel - Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 15:37:13 (PDT) | #24

Johnny Marr please play with Steven Morrissey.. . . . .Or else.
frankly shankly you a worthless mf

smiths <smiths>
smiths - Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 05:21:46 (PDT) | #25

This is going to sound ridiculous but does anyone agree that Morrissey looks like Tom out of Tom and Jerry? Their eyebrows are identical!

Paul Nightingale <[email protected]>
Channel Islands - Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 08:00:58 (PDT) | #26

Noam (#24) has a good point. We all expect Morrissey to play at least one (maybe more) Smiths songs. How is he going to feel about that if Johnny Marr is sitting backstage waiting to go on with Beck? Will he be thinking, "well, this is odd. Here I am singing a Smiths song (the music of which was entirely written by Johnny) and Johnny is right over there listening, and he hates me"? I just think that if Johnny is indeed going to be at Coachella with Beck, it will seem a bit strange for Morrissey to play a Smiths song without Johnny. But then again, Moz probably won't care. Or maybe he'll leave the smiths out of it. Or maybe he won't show up. In which case we're doomed.

shelley <[email protected]>
lost angeles - Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 08:40:11 (PDT) | #27

If Marr is backstage at Coachella when
Moz is on stage, there is no way in hell that
he would play a Smiths song!! Morrissey would be too afraid that the song might not sound as good.
Trust me, he will stick exclusively with his solo
material. And thats ok by me.

Lincoln
West Palm Beach Florida - Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 09:59:20 (PDT) | #28

Johnny , Steven, lets shock all the world and be the Smiths again at Cochella.
Cmon Guys , lets do it. The Smiths return before the end of a century. Call me guys

Mike Joyce <lets all be friends >
With two million pounds, I can be anywhere - Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 17:18:39 (PDT) | #29

oh that's so sad... MJ #29 ... even if you were truly MJ it would still be sad, imagine not being able to "talk" about it but having to rely on a forum on the internet.

just a thought .... moz in oz 2000 .... oh yes puleeze.

julie <[email protected]>
oz - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 07:21:40 (PDT) | #30

You're all sorry mf's
Frankly Mr. Shankley I don't give a damn

Buddy Lee <roka hifi @aol.com>
Los Angeles - Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 23:50:39 (PDT) | #31

* return to Morrissey-solo