Main
David Crosby on Johnny Rogan
Posted on Thu, Sep 9 1999 at 8:44 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Tim:

I was just visiting a site about the Byrds called ByrdWatcher. It has a long interview with David Crosby. In the interview, he talks about Johnny Rogan in terms that are very... familiar. Seems like Morrissey isn't the only one to question the man's veracity.

Excerpt:

I Have Seen That Movie, And It Wasn't Like That

BW: There is a lot of detail about Michael's last days that I hadn't ever heard before in the new version of Johnny Rogan's book...

DC: Rogan is not actually a very good source. Johnny Rogan thinks he knows everything, and he speaks with great authority, but he is repeatedly wrong. If you sit down with that book, I can show you 24 mistakes in the first 7 pages. He comes off as if he really knows everything, and he is an opinionated little son of a bitch, but he is continually misinformed. And I would like to go on record as saying "Do not take Johnny Rogan as an accurate source, because he damn well isn't." He can't even spell names, let alone get facts right.

BW: There's a funny interview where Chris Hillman runs into him sometime after that book comes out and just gives him the dickens. And Rogan recounts it, pretty much at his own expense, somewhere. He basically got the bum's rush from Hillman, and it's like a three paragraph interview.

DC: I'm not surprised. You know, Chris feels, I'm sure, very much the same way I do. The guy is... you know, he comes off opinionated as hell and acts like he really knows what the hell he is talking about and he really damn well doesn't. If he had expressed all of his misinformation as opinion, I would have said, fine, he has a right to all the opinions he wants. But he purports it to be the facts, and he is sadly mistaken.

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

and that is exactly why I will never buy the book.

Corey <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 04:01:04 (PDT) | #1

well i received the severed alliance as a gift a while back and i read about half of it and then i was so disgusted with rogan that i never returned to finish it. i kept it cause it has a really cute picture of moz at his first communion.:)

adrien <[email protected]>
- Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 12:14:24 (PDT) | #2

yes...I agree...I think I may just buy it to sit on the shelf, but never read it*l* That way I don't have to wonder what is true and what isn't

Corey <[email protected]>
- Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 17:24:27 (PDT) | #3

This book has some glowing reviews on Amazon.com and I was very tempted to read it. From what I can put together it seems that the book is written in a psycoanalitic point of view. Right there and then I had doubts. For one thing Johnny Rogan isn't really qualified to do psycoanalysis. Plus how can someone give a good analysis when he doesn't even know Morrisey or other members of the band. But for the completist, I heard that it had some good obscure well dug info but that what it is only good for.

Junior
Hawaii - Mon, Sep 13, 1999 at 04:57:01 (PDT) | #4

* return to Morrissey-solo