Main
Smiths reason Blur formed
Posted on Thu, Sep 9 1999 at 8:42 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From John:

First Radiohead and now Blur - in a UK teletext interview to promote their singles box set, Alex James from Blur said that their singer/songwriter Damon Albarn was inspired to form a band after watching the South Bank Show on The Smiths. Blur will have a South Bank Show dedicated to themselves soon.

And from Josh Baze:

A South Bank Show special on Blur will be screened at the end of October. The documentary will follow them on tour, in the studio and back to their home town of Colchester. Each band member tells his own story, with Alex providing a tour of his favourite pubs and clubs around London. Damon, meanwhile, reveals he started Blur, originally called Seymour, after watching a South Bank Show on The Smiths.

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

it's nice to know that the best band of the nineties was shaped by the best band of the eighties. tis a shame america knows nothing about either of these outfits. britpop desires more attention

pops
- Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 11:38:44 (PDT) | #1

Part of britpop's charm and appeal is its complete absence stateside. And we all know Suede is the king of britpop.

Jeff <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 12:05:19 (PDT) | #2

America knows quite a bit about blur...unfortunately MTV spreads the news.

Corey <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 15:23:33 (PDT) | #3

Pops, I just have to say I'm 100% with you: The Smiths were the best band in the 80's & Blur are the best band of the 90's!!!!! All kinds!
And Suede, well, they're just Suede. That should be enough! But I miss Bernard Butler...

bmr
Lx, PT - Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 17:29:00 (PDT) | #4

I have finally come to realize in my mature age that the genuine sign of a transcendent band such as the Smiths is not only their tremendous influence on the chemistry and social consciousness of other authentic and artful bands but also their influence on the horrific, common, artless and insipid as well, such as Blur. It says here that Blur is nothing more than an ignorant, selfish and enfeebled 1990's Eddie Money knock-off. So while we are of course not suprised that the Smiths have influenced and are cited as influences by other artful/talented/inspirational and socially conscious bands such as Billy Bragg, Possum Dixon, Gene, American Maple, Counting Crows, Heave and Sigue Sigue Sputnik but also the talentless and boring such as Adorable, Polak, Britany Spears and Suede. Your thoughts?

PS: For those of you who unfortunately admire and line Suede's pockets with money, I plead with you to listen to the track "Asbestos" off their new LP which unfortunately makes light of asbestos and its devastating effects. For those of you not in the know, asbestos inhalation causes myriad deadly diseases including lung cancer, mesothelioma and pleural plaques and has killed thousands of the woking class this century.

Pettibone Sturm
Valley of the Sun

Pettibone Sturm
Valley of the Sun - Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 18:34:30 (PDT) | #5

Right on, Pettibone...Gene rules! I know, I know...Martin was endlessly compared to Moz. And, a few years back, Gene was said to be a Smiths rip-off (whatever?!). However, these lads are fraught with talent and raw emotion, and have proved so repeatedly with supremely melodic pop.

Cheers,

Johnny O
- Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 23:33:40 (PDT) | #6

pettibone, britney spears was influenced by the smiths...say what. say it ain't so or did i misunderstand your post.

Moz cowboy <[email protected]>
long beach - Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 00:01:01 (PDT) | #7

blur is the most complete band of the 90`s, something which you cannot say of the 80`s smiths. they may find it boring to write socially
conscious songs, but that cant diminish their effort. they never repeat themselves, they are artistic and they dont take themselves too seriously (madness-like videos). they sway from all edges of pop to seattle-like guitars..sometimes i think moz put those socially conscious songs just for the sake of having one song like that in an album..and except one or two, the melodramtic and enjoyable songs he wrote were personal.

noam <[email protected]>
israel - Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 03:49:33 (PDT) | #8

That thing about "Asbestos" being an evil song was the most idiotic thing I've ever heard... The word "Asbestos" is not mentioned even once in the song, to me it seems like a song about being young, and not much else. Blur is a cartoon band, Suede is serious pop music.

Henrik Rydéhn <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 04:12:52 (PDT) | #9

My comments on the comments:

Suede has been terrible since the departure of Butler.

Gene is incredible always.

The petition is useless. I'm sure Morrissey and Marr know a reunion has always been something many people are interested in seeing happen. No need to force it.

Joe <[email protected]>
Delaware - Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 06:34:28 (PDT) | #10

Blur is only getting better, Suede is only getting worse and Gene ... well they have never been anything at all, really.

BTW, is their anything called brit-pop left these days? I can´t tell from this side of the ocean.

Urusei Yatsura rules!!!

Loretta Scars
Deadham, Mass. - Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 06:42:31 (PDT) | #11

I'll Add My 2 Cents. I'm looking at my CD collection right now.

The Smiths
The Stone Roses
Ned's Atomic Dustbin (they are brits after all)
Suede
Joy Division
Lush
Blur
Charlatans
Gene
Kula Shaker
Belle & Sebstian
Ride
Teenage Fanclub
The Cure

What was my point?? Oh yeah, The Smiths are by far the best. Suede is better without Mr. Butler - although the old Suede is still good. Blur is cool, however, Echobelly is better. Gene is just OK - please don't compare them to The Smiths 'cause they don't match up!!! The Stone Roses 1st Album is classic.
The Ned's were the best band of the 90's.

Ken
Long Island - Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 08:36:50 (PDT) | #12

What! Blur sucks ass! Oasis is by far the best band of the 90's. Coincidentally Noel Gallagher was inspired to play guitar when he saw Johnny Marr playing with the Smiths. Oh and they're pretty good friends, is blur friends with anybody?

MrLopez
- Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 13:46:18 (PDT) | #13

Bernard Butler is as good a guitarist as Marr, if you ask me--notwithstanding his solo effort. And Brett has more style and bravery, vocally and lyrically, than anyone since the MOz himself. Blur's music and lyrics, on the other hand, is quite boring and safe (although Suede's latest "head music" is arguably similarly described). Watch out for PLACEBO, though!!!

Jeff <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 14:39:50 (PDT) | #14

I think Bernard Butler is like three times better a GUITARIST than Johnny Marr is, but Johnny is a better songwriter, know what I mean? Johnny's guitarplaying always sounded pretty ordinary, but the melodies he wrote were incredibly good.

Henrik Rydéhn <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 15:28:21 (PDT) | #15

So Noel Gallagher is friends with Johnny. Oasis still sucks. Blur still rocks.

Girl Racer <[email protected]>
chicago - Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 16:48:49 (PDT) | #16

Loretta should be knighted for her keen observations. Blur is finally getting better, suede is slipping from the highest of ranks and gene well they are gene aren't they?
Ken there is no way that suede has been better since Bernard Butler left the band. Unless you mean bringing in keyboards and losing virtually all traces of the guitar is something to be applauded. Richard Oakes will be lucky to be included on the next album at all.
Loretta fear not, there are many good bands in the UK today. Pulp, Blur and Suede once had thier chance but know its time for bis, catatonia, space, belle & sebastian and many others to show thier stuff. Pop music is still hanging around, it's just not in all the old familiar places.

Frankie Shankly(not Frank) <[email protected]>
Southern California - Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 21:02:54 (PDT) | #17

what about manic street preachers? they surely have the deepest lyrics you can get now. his singing style is very unique, so i guess many dont like them because of it.
but they rock!

noam <[email protected]>
israel - Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 05:35:02 (PDT) | #18

I don't have suedes newest album so I can't comment on that, but I like all of the previous stuff. I do, however, have 13 and let me just say I think it is the worst blur album...at times it's just annoying...coffee and tv is the only listenable song I'd say.

Corey <[email protected]>
- Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 17:56:03 (PDT) | #19

Britpop bores me. I don't really think of the Smiths or Morrissey as being in that category. Despite their efforts, I find Suede and Gene mediocre and dull. Nothing to do with the Smiths at all...
Of course, the one supposed Moz Jr. band I liked was the Smoking Popes. Not much like Moz, but totally original and tuneful.

Chris <[email protected]>
NJ - Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 21:19:35 (PDT) | #20

noam's right. How can anyone talk about 90's british music and not mention the Manics? Though I don't think of them as britpop in the same vein as Oasis or Blur. I do think their combination lyrical content and sonic beauty are comparable to our beloved Smiths. James Dean Bradfield is highly unappreciated as a guitarist.

This is My Truth Tell Me Yours , which was only released this summer in the US is great, despite what some of older fans might say. Go out and buy it immediately.

p.s. Where ever you are Richey, we still love you!

Bertrand
- Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 00:32:01 (PDT) | #21

What about radiohead?
i think they are the best uk band by now, and pehaps OK COMPUTER is the better album of this decade.

The rest...i think the first suede was pretty good, but marr is definitely above butler, both as a songwriter and as a guitar player. I think bernard is only a good pupil.

blur is quite funny, oasis has only got good chorus in some songs, and...i regret it, but for me the last manics record completely sucks.

that's my opinion, of course!!!!

juan soler <[email protected]>
A Coruña (España) - Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 05:05:18 (PDT) | #22

* return to Morrissey-solo