Main
More Billy Bragg
Posted on Thu, Sep 9 1999 at 8:42 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Jamie Collings:

Our old friend Billy Bragg is talking about the Smiths again on the Music365 website.

An excerpt:

Did you really look at their material that closely?
"Very closely. Frankly, I wouldn't be covering their songs if I wasn't that into it. I opened for them on their first American tour and I was playing 'Jeane' in my set because they weren't. At the end of the tour Morrissey came up to me and said, 'You've reminded me of how great a song it is'. I was listening to a compilation their stuff in the car the other day, and it got me thinking about how without The Smiths they'd be no Suede, no Pulp, so many bands just wouldn't exist, and I don't think they're always given the credit they deserve."

Is there a Smiths' song you wish you'd written yourself?
"That would be 'Back To The Old House'. I remember when I first heard about The Smiths back in 1983. A lot of people who were writing to me were also going to see them and then the first time I actually saw them I wasn't that overwhelmed. It was at the Electric Ballroom in Camden and the guy next to me shouted, 'They're the new Beatles!', and I said 'Yeah, and I'm the new Bob Dylan'. I didn't really get them until I was doing a soundcheck for a gig in Sheffield and someone played 'Back To The Old House' through the speakers, and then it really got me.

"When I say I was in competition with them, I don't mean I was trying to better them, but they were certainly moving in a way and cutting a swathe which was complementary to what I was doing. I always felt we both represented something really positive in British songwriting, our attitudes and our points of reference were similar. Me and Johnny hooked up because we didn't really know any big rock stars or anything, so when we came to make our respective albums, mine and The Smiths, the only people we knew were the guys who'd produced Peel sessions, particularly John Porter, who kinda put us together. There's a lot of common musical ground between us, Johnny once told me that most of his guitar riffs were just Martin Carthy folk tunes speeded up."

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

For those interested, Billy will be playing at Town Hall in NYC on September 18 (as part of the CMJ music and film festival). The time of the show is tba.

Lifeguard Commenting
The Wrong Continent?? - Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 15:09:13 (PDT) | #1

* return to Morrissey-solo