Main
Joy Electric - another Smiths influenced band
Posted on Thu, Sep 9 1999 at 8:41 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Scott Thompson:

This was taken from an interview with Ronnie Martin of the synth band Joy Electric...

Talking a bit about what you do lyrically, there almost seems to be a bit of irony in the new band being called Joy Electric, because coming with the new band name was a darker turn in the lyric writing.

The name Joy Electric, unfortunately, it's not meant to evoke happiness and joy and this kind of stuff. The songs just come out the way they do. Sometimes I'll have an idea of, "I want this song to be about this," or whatever, and a lot of it's just trying to make a personal experience sound like its not a typical personal experience, you know, try to make it sound a little different or neat-o or something. Some of the songs are written, I guess, because I get really depressed sometimes, and it comes out of that kind of state. But it balances the music. To me the best music was music that almost sounds happy, but at the same time it's got all that melancholy going through it. To me that's how The Smiths were. If you listen to a Smiths instrumental track you've got all this guitar chirping away and it's all major chords and it all sounds kind of happy until Morrisey gets on top of it and he does his melodies and it turns it all through. So you can say the music sounds all upbeat and happy, but Morrisey's melodies are so beautifully sad and that's all I've ever really wanted to do with it. And it's hard to do, I've had a hard time doing it. Some songs click and other ones just don't.

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

Bought the CD, and still haven't listened to it. Can't bear to take Moz out of the CD player for even a few minutes. It's sad really...

Chris <[email protected]>
NJ - Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 21:23:13 (PDT) | #1

Joy Electric is brilliant. Anyone who hasn't yet heard them should give it a shot. Not for everyone, but if you are into unique music... you may like it. Reminds me of a cross between Thomas Dolby, New Order, and a Nintendo.

j o e l

Joel Bailey
texas - Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 19:23:50 (PDT) | #2

* return to Morrissey-solo