Main
#145 and #453 in KROQ 90's Labor Day 500
Posted on Thu, Sep 9 1999 at 8:39 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Adrien:

KROQ's list of 500 songs of the 90's included two Morrissey songs. "Sing Your Life" came in at #453 and "Tomorrow" at #145. That kind of sucked but I was glad to see them in the countdown anyways.

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

the hell with kroq

abel
- Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 14:14:11 (PDT) | #1

Yes, but..."Sing Your Life?!?"

Lifeguard Commenting
The Wrong Continent?? - Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 14:16:06 (PDT) | #2

Ha ha ha, thats all I have to say.

Amy <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 14:35:54 (PDT) | #3

You've gotta be kidding...
Do these people who listen to this station have no
taste? Thankfully I'm not in a place where I can listen to KROQ, but if I could...I WOULDN'T!!! There are several problems here: First of all, most of the songs on the list, I think, have only been out within the last couple of years. Second, most of those songs and bands either suck or I've never heard of them. Third, those songs by Morrissey that DID make the list (albeit shamefully low on it) were not his best. Where was "November Spawned A Monster?" That is MY favourite Moz solo song. And "Everyday Is Like Sunday?" Or "Suedehead?" At least those were more popular!! (And better, I think!) And FINALLY...Nirvana? "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at #1?? There's no excuse here. Although, I suppose we must take into account who was doing all the voting. My guess it was mostly people between the ages of 13-20. They wouldn't know music if it came up to them and beat them over the head. (There are exceptions, of course.) :)

There's just no accounting for taste sometimes...

Tara <[email protected]>
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 16:11:19 (PDT) | #4

i didn't even bother listening to this labor day 500..i think i turned to kroq only once, and that la's song was playing..traditionally, it's supposed to be an 80's flashback weekend, but they made this one a nineties weekend.

anyway, i'm of the opinion that the majority of the new kroq listeners today are into modern garbage...kroq did have its heyday, but as with all good things, that era came to an end.

state of emergency
- Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 17:41:05 (PDT) | #5

Uhm, Tara?

Everyday is like Sunday, and Suedehead came out in the 80's. What's wrong with Tomorrow? That was a HUGE college soing if I remember correctly. I don't like when you say look who was voting 13 and 14 year olds? WTF is wrong with them voting? Obviously with yoru logic they voted for Morrissey. I for one think Smells like Teen Spirit is worthy of number #1, that song came out at a perfect time. People were just coming off hair bands and crap.

Although, I really DONT understand Sing your life.. I think that is one of his best songs, but I don't ever recall hearing that on the radio more than twice.

Also, just cause someone doesn't like your music don't put them down, makes you look kinda foolish.

Luke
- Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 18:20:20 (PDT) | #6

kroq isnt what it once was. y107 is a little better but not that great. i spent most of the weekend listening to star98.7's 80's weekend. they played alot of crap but they also played alot of the good stuff, even a few smiths here and there.

adrien <[email protected]>
- Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 19:19:22 (PDT) | #7

adrein: y107 is a hell of a lot better. Their the only station in LA that plays good music and regularly play moz and smiths songs on a consistent basis. kroq only plays smiths on the flashback hour. plus y107 play songs that kroq wouldn't even touch like that beck song "electric (something) and the summer people" (something like that) and fleming & john's "ugly girl". i'm so glad y107 is here to replace kroq. kroq reminds me of mtv (alternative style)

Moz cowboy <[email protected]>
long beach - Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 00:15:10 (PDT) | #8

OK...just a few words to save my...erm...bottom. :)

Luke,

My apologies. You're right. "Suedehead" and "Everyday Is Like Sunday" are 80's songs. I'd forgotten. Although, I've seen 80's compilations with, say, "Cars" by Gary Numan on them when that song was actually released in 1979. Same thing goes for The Buggles' "Video Killed The Radio Star." So those are actually 70's songs, if you wanna get picky. :)

Second, I had no intention of slagging the teens. I DID say there were exceptions! Everybody has their opinion of what "good music" really is, and if people think that all the Top 40 stuff that's played on the radio is "good music" that's fine. I'm just not of that opinion. I'm actually surprised that Marilyn Manson and Britney Spears didn't make the list. (Or did they? I may have overlooked.) They're HUGELY popular, it seems. But again, my apologies to the young people. :)

Finally, Nirvana. Yes, I used to like them, but got sick of them over time. I, personally, am not sure they're really deserving of #1, but hey...that's what the people voted for. Thankfully, this isn't the end all and be all of the best of 90's music. :)

Tara (who quit listening to Top 40 radio in the early 90's)

Tara <[email protected]>
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 00:19:22 (PDT) | #9

My feeling are deeply hurt.....KROQ can go to hell-o operator..yes I need the number to......sanity.

Storee <[email protected]>
Screen name gives it away~ - Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 02:03:02 (PDT) | #10

Smells like teen spirit is a horrible horrible song in my opinion. It has zero good lyrics, vocals, and very depressing and loud music.

I agree with Tara on most everything she said. Although I am 15..I still hate all of the "popular" music.

Corey <[email protected]>
- Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 17:33:12 (PDT) | #11

Wow - I used to live in L.A. when KROQ did the 80s flashback 500. Now they have done the 90s flashback 500, I don't think they'll ever go back to the 80s. It's probably because the people who would listen to the 80s flashback 500 actually don't listen to KROQ anymore. Today's teenage audience couldn't care about 80s music. And Richard Blade's getting too old. But 80s alternative is becoming a new format - there's a station in Minnesota (zone105.com, real audio as well) that plays all "alternative classics" and 90s songs that they know their audience would like, e.g., no "Limp Bizkit". Smiths fans will probably have to take refuge in those kinds of stations (more of which will appear) if they want to hear Mozzer croon on the air.

Nitin Nayar <[email protected]>
- Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 14:26:36 (PDT) | #12

I may love the stupid music I listened to in high and college in the eighties, but if anyone ever catches me listening to an 80's oldie stations, please kill me! Nostalgia is a refuge for old people. I might not like some new music (Limp Biskit and Kid Rock come to mind)but that doesn't mean I'm going to sit in my house and listen to the Smiths and Bauhaus till I'm ninety.

KROQ might not be as good as it was in, say, 1982, but it's alot harder to be original now. Back then I can remember the rock stations wouldn't play U2 or the Go-Go's. So there was all kinds of music that in SoCal you could only get from KROQ. If it wasn't for 106.7, many of would have grown up listening to Journey and REO Speedwagon. Remember that!

Bertrand
- Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 16:29:20 (PDT) | #13

damm those KROQ people i just am not agreeing with this @#!!!..why the @#!!!! gee man @#!!! KORN! gee man they suck MORRISSEY IS @#!!!ING BETTER...sorry for my vulgar language but im @#!!!ing pissed.

CaLiGulA <[email protected]>
CaLiFoRnIa - Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 17:30:57 (PDT) | #14

* return to Morrissey-solo