Main
Johnny Marr on new Billy Bragg (previously unreleased)
Posted on Fri, Sep 3 1999 at 1:55 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Jason Gura:

Yesterday marked the release of a new album from Billy Bragg, "Reaching to the Converted." The album consists of B-Sides and other rarities Bragg has composed over the years. A special note for Smiths/Morrissey fans is a re-working of "Shirley" in which Johnny Marr contributes the guitar portions.

Another FYI - Bragg also has a CD out, "Bloke on Bloke." Which is comprised of B-sides from the William Bloke recording sessions. There is another collaboration with Johnny Marr. This time Bragg covers Morrissey's "Never Had No On Ever." It is an interesting cover, in addition to Johnny's guitar, they also added a horn section to the song.

* item archived - comments / notes can no longer be added.

Comments / Notes

Marr working w/ others (Bragg) on Morrissey covers . . . How many people have Morrissey collaborated w/ on Marr covers??

Game, Set, Match . . . .MORRISSEY!!

Sphynchter Boy <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 06:01:21 (PDT) | #1

The new Billy Bragg collection also contains his heartwarming cover of "Jeane".
Very worth checking out.

Kiss My Shades <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 06:26:19 (PDT) | #2

is it just me or do Johnnys recent comments about our beloved one seem a little dodgy now?

Funny world.

elsberry <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 06:51:55 (PDT) | #3

Nitpick.

Morrissey did not perform "Never Had No One Ever."

It was the Smiths.

John tha...well, you know
- Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 06:53:02 (PDT) | #4

Sphynchter Boy,

Didn't marr co-write Never Had No One Ever. It's as much a Johnny Song as it is Morrissey's. It's not like They're playing a cover of Hairdresser on Fire.

Plus Billy's always been a fan of the Smiths and Morrissey, so I don't seem this Game, Set, Match Crap you're spatting off. There is no game here. Get over it!

Johnny did the best thing by leaving the Smiths at there prime. Not because his stuff is better now or morrissey is better, but because it was the best thing for the Smiths.

Daniel
- Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 07:05:30 (PDT) | #5

I agree With You Daniel.
Sphynchter Boy didn't know that "Never Had No One Ever" was a Smiths song????????? He must be one of the insane so called "Morrissey fans" who rank "Maladjusted" & "Southpaw" above "Meat is Murder" & "The Smiths" (first one).

I agree that Johnny left at a good time, however, I'm still curious what the next Smiths album would have been like back then.

As far as the present, a re-union tour between the 2 to play old Smiths would be nice. But, I'd be afraid of any new material - just look at Page & Plant.

Ken <[email protected]>
Long Island - Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 09:11:51 (PDT) | #6

elsberry
I love Brit Pop, however, Forgive me but what exactly does dodgy mean????

-Ken-
An American

Ken <[email protected]>
Long Island - Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 09:15:13 (PDT) | #7

DAVID-- HERE IS MY PLEA TO YOU ON THIS DREARY FRIDAY MORNING......PLEASE STOP POSTING JOHNNY INFO! MAYBE THESE PEOPLE COULD SET UP A JOHNNY-SOLO SITE. IT ONLY CAUSES BITTERNESS AND DISSENTION. IT SEEMS LIKE LATELY EVERYONE JUST WANTS TO COMPLAIN ABOUT MARR. I LOVE HIM AS AN ARTIST AND COULD CARE LESS IF THE SMITHS EVER REUINITE.

TIRED OF HEARING IT
PLEASE STOP! - Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 10:48:05 (PDT) | #8

If you have the information, why not share it. I don't think we should be punished because some people can't handle reading johnny info.

David,

This is a great site, with lots of cool information. Please don't change. Someone is always going to fuss about something, whether it's how cool nyc is or how much they hate Johnny.

Thanks

Daniel
- Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 12:10:27 (PDT) | #9

It seems like there's Billy Bragg news every day. We're all massive Bragg fans, right? Wait a minute ... we're Moz fans! Bragg should start up a tribute band.

jesus murphy
- Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 12:16:40 (PDT) | #10

Ken American,

I don*t know.

elsberry,
always your stupid german, haha

elsberry <[email protected]>
- Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 14:44:02 (PDT) | #11

"Bloke on Bloke" corrections:
=============================
Johnny Marr does not play on Billy's Smiths-cover
"Never had no one ever", which was recorded for an
album called "The Smiths Is Dead" (Sony).
However, Johnny provides "inspiration, guitars and
other instruments" on a new Bragg song called "The
Boy Done Good".

Cheers, H

Henrik
Sweden - Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 00:55:40 (PDT) | #12

I don't understand why there is riff between Johnny Marr and Morrissey fans. They were both part of The Smiths, the greatest band ever. I can't imagine The Smiths without Johnny's brilliant guitar work and music compositions. In fact, I can, and that would be Morrissey's solo work. His early stuff was great, because it was copy-cat Smiths, but look at his recent stuff (sorry, don't want to start a flame war, but that's just my opinion). If you want to read some cool Johnny Marr stuff, check out this website. http://imsp008.netvigator.com/bcmagazine/offbeat/offbeat.html It's all pretty old news, but it's cool seeing Johnny exposed to the mass general public.

Rick Ho <[email protected]>
- Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 04:51:14 (PDT) | #13

Also, there's a cool Suede interview on the same site at:

http://imsp008.netvigator.com/bcmagazine/features/suede.html

Rick Ho <[email protected]>
- Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 04:58:08 (PDT) | #14

ummmm, is it possible that instead of "Shirley" you mean "Greetings to the New Brunette?"

mary frances <[email protected]>
- Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 07:25:19 (PDT) | #15

Re: Shirley v. Greetings to the New Brunette

Yes, the original title of the song was (is) Greetings to the New Brunette. But who's got time for all that!? A friend of mine saw Billy play live in London YEARS (like six) ago and someone shouted out for the "Shirley Song." I think it's just one of them cases where the popularity of the short title overtakes the real name. Billy's probably just having fun with it. But on the new record, the title IS listed as "Shirley." And it is fantastic.

Jonathan Walsh <[email protected]>
New Orleans, LA - Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 09:21:07 (PDT) | #16

* return to Morrissey-solo