Main
Overlord
Posted on Mon, May 24 1999 at 10:03 a.m. PDT
by David T. <[email protected]>
From George Pasles (who apologizes for not writing before the event in Philadelphia took place):

...I should've emailed you a few weeks ago, cause last Thursday (May 13), my band and two others held a Morrissey Birthday party at a Philadelphia club ("Mopestock").

We got a lot of advance press, which mentioned Moz:

One article, from the PHILADELPHIA WEEKLY:

"Mopestock. Your parents will be happy to know that, finally, Morrissey is turning 40, thereby losing any semblance of the melancholy cool he once possessed. Now he's just another old fart from the '80s with a beer belly and pristine collection of Jam records. But two area bands who claim to be the Coiffed One's heirs -- Overlord and Marvy Darling -- aren't taking such a passing lightly, though, and have banded together for an entire evening of mope-rock while friends and onlookers balefully pore over the oeuvre of Smiths sleeve-designer Jo Slee. Make sure to leave your contact lenses at home -- you're among friends now. Thurs., May 13, 9 p.m. $5. Upstairs at Nick's, 16 S. Second St.215.928.9411."

Comments / Notes

I attended Mopestock, and cannot figure out, for the life of me, why Morrissey's 40th birthday was mentioned in the previews. While I'm sure that Overlord are big fans of Mozzer, their music was vastly different, and if I may say so, not terribly enjoyable. I was vastly disappointed with Mopestock - not a single quiff in sight.
Scott
- Mon, May 24, 1999 at 12:31:37 (PDT)

Thanks for the review, Scott. I went from being very angry at having missed the event, to vastly relieved at reading how nothing much was missed.
Jeff
- Mon, May 24, 1999 at 13:46:17 (PDT)

Well, since you say Philly wasn't really a mozfest, everyone should've gone to the Boston Mozfest!!!!! Plenty of quiffs, hardcore fans, and ofcourse a real Smiths/Moz tribute band played: the Salford Lads.
fabio j <[email protected]>
- Mon, May 24, 1999 at 19:25:38 (PDT)

Scott-

Ouch.

-George

george <[email protected]>
- Wed, May 26, 1999 at 15:30:44 (PDT)

* return to Morrissey-solo