Main
Johnny Marr w / Marion lead singer Jaime Harding - picture
Posted on Thu, Feb 25 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Radioactive, a picture taken in Manchester, Dec. 1998 (click to enlarge).

Johnny produced Marion's latest album The Program.

Comments / Notes

cool. I just picked up the old Marion album "This World and Body" and it's pretty good. I have not been able to find the new one around here though. This band is very guitar oriented and it's nice to see Mr. Marr associated with a good band (better than Electronic anyway).
jack (rearproxy2.interliant.com)
- Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 14:49:36 (PST)

their 2nd album (the one produced by Johnny Marr, i forgot what its called) is only available on import here in the US and goes for about 30 big ones! is it worth paying that much of or does anyone know somewhere in the los angeles area where i could find it for less? thanks!

Joey

Joey <[email protected]> (hpusir37.allergan.com)
- Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 15:07:40 (PST)

I just own the Miyako Hideaway single (co-written by Marr). It's unbelievable. Better by far than anything on their debut. Really, really good.
MontyClift <[email protected]> (veltro3.sk.sympatico.ca)
- Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 16:18:24 (PST)

the new electronic single was given it's first play on radio 1 recently, it's very smiths-esque with a harmonica straight out of hand in glove, which must be an improvement on the rubbish they put out last time.
John <[email protected]> (spider-wl024.proxy.aol.com)
- Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 23:21:07 (PST)

Marr fans unite! I run the Johnny discussion list. sub info at my site serve.com/Torr hope to see some of you there.
Torr <[email protected]> (204.30.108.31)
Dallas - Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 11:33:34 (PST)

Hey Torr,
Is it worth our while joining this Marr list that you run? Or are you going to close it down suddenly, without ANY prior notice (like you did with the britpop list that you ran).

Just Wondering... (1cust25.tnt9.nyc3.da.uu.net)
- Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 12:51:25 (PST)

the second Marion album is called "the programme" (I *think* it`s the second one, that is...) and it pretty brilliant, I couldn`t stop listening to it when I got it. I saw Marion some years ago as a support act for a german band and and at that time I thought they were boring the hell out of me though.
Elsbe <[email protected]> (a1as09-p95.hh.tli.de)
Germany - Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 08:12:02 (PST)

how honorable of you to come round and try and put down my list running skills without even leaving an address. I didn't realise it was a RIGHT to be on a list. An admin reserves the right to close a list without any prior notification to list members. It seems your pretty little head simply had to go to nme.com and get the news ALL BY YOURSELF awww... If you're gonna have that attitude I don't even WANT you on any list I run.

Torr <[email protected]> (204.30.108.214)
- Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 12:07:00 (PST)

HA HA..THATS WHAT I LIKE...A FIGHT....GO FOR IT...
pogue <[email protected]> (mar150.cybrzn.com)
- Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 14:00:31 (PST)

hehe... notice, if you will, that he still didn't answer the question ;-)
Still Wondering... (1cust216.tnt5.nyc3.da.uu.net)
- Sun, Feb 28, 1999 at 18:47:05 (PST)

WHO IN THERE BLEEDING RIGHT MIND WOULD WANNA JOIN SOME STUPID FAN CLUB ANYWAY TORR YOU DOLT!!!
pogue <[email protected]> (mar43.marhs.com)
- Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 13:55:21 (PST)

marion's "the program" is a brilliant album...you can definitely hear the marr influence ("miyako hideaway" and the title track esp.) and in the presence of instrumental b-sides (on which, imo, johnny should have played piano).

however, i think the sound is more a result of marion becoming more tightly woven as a band. the harmonica is something for which, i believe, frontman jaime harding has a penchant (see "waiting for no-one" from 1995's "sleep" single)...and is not entirely a result of marr's influence.

the album is hard to find and rather steeply priced in the us because marion's contract with london records ran out (rather conveniently if you ask me) before the official us release...and they deleted the uk album and the singles subsequently, according to one us importer.

marion's us fans are currently boosting us radio/tv airplay...and you can catch their "miyako hideaway" video on mtv's 120 minutes on 07 march with the afghan whigs hosting...marion will be the last video to end the first hour, according to mtv. hope this marion info addressed your curiosity to some extent. :)

josephine <[email protected]> (128.59.149.169)
nyc. - Tue, Mar 02, 1999 at 23:13:10 (PST)

HA HA..I OFFENDED TORR.... HEY TORR..I HAVE PLENTY OF PROBLEMS...H AHA HAHAHFHSEHDHAHHASDHHAHA
pogue <[email protected]> (mar104.cybrzn.com)
- Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 10:33:30 (PST)

HEY EVERYONE...HERE IS AN EMAIL I GOT FROM TORR....IT'S VERY FUNNY

what the @#!!! is your problem? It's not a 'fan club', it's simply aplace to
talk about the genius that is Johnny's guitar work. @#!!! off..

pogue <[email protected]> (mar147.marhs.com)
- Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 17:04:00 (PST)

* return to Morrissey-solo