Main
Morrissey in comics
Posted on Thu, Feb 25 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
Item and scan from vu:

The latest issue of the comic book, "The Invisible" Number 12 (April 1999), published by Vertigo/DC Comics, features a small Morrissey reference, on page 10. The character Mr.Six described himself as "the last of the famous international playboys." (click to enlarge)

You might also remember that Grant Morrison, the writer, has used Morrissey/Smiths lyrics into his stories. Most notably from his old comic, "Doom Patrol". One of his first published stories, "St. Swithin's Day" is a story about a young man, who takes the train to London (stopping in Euston too!) to assassinate Margaret Thatcher. The whole diary dialogue is very Morrissey-esque.

He's currently the writer of the successful popular superhero comic, "JLA", published by DC Comics.

Comments / Notes

That issue, Volume 12, is also subtitled "Come, Armageddon, Come" and Grant Morrison also used Smiths refernces in his earlier work. He also constantly references BritPop- Pulp, Blur, Kula Shaker, etc.. In one of the earlier issues of the Invisibles, a reader wrote in to ask Grant about his Morrissey influence, and Grant said "I used to spend all my time trying to be like Morrissey, and now, he's trying to be like me." I'll have to go back and dig that issue out.

The Invisibles is a cool comic for those into stuff like Burroughs, Robert Anton Wilson, and the Church of Sub-genius.

Dane (c036l516.clcs.siu.edu)
- Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 13:48:57 (PST)

And, of course, St. Swithin's Day is a terrific Billy Bragg song covered by Dubstar. In fact, it's probably the best Dubstar song.
MontyClift <[email protected]> (veltro3.sk.sympatico.ca)
- Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 16:14:21 (PST)

Several years ago, Grant Morrison cause a small controversy in England when he created a comic section called "The New Adventures of Hitler" for a music magazine. The story was set prior to World War I and had Hitler living in an English boarding house. He was complaining to his landlady that strange people kept appearing in his wardrobe. In the first installment, Morrissey was in the wardrobe singing "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now."

Grant does has an incredible sense of the bizarre.

Tim (134.78.93.67)
- Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 07:09:48 (PST)

* return to Morrissey-solo