Main
Smoking Popes breakup
Posted on Fri, Feb 19 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
From Steve Cutter:

It's been reported on a few unofficial sites on the net that the Smoking Popes have broken up. One of the reports references the source of the news as the Popes drummer, Mike Felumlee.

Comments / Notes

That's terrible. I really enjoyed them on the Maladjusted tour.
Gustavo Adolfo <[email protected]> (129.108.21.45)
- Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 14:41:11 (PST)

That sucks I really liked them and they're from Chicago too. I hope it's not true but I believe it.
Scott <[email protected]> (ip135.mind.net)
Ashland - Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 15:45:42 (PST)

That's fine by me that they broke up...I knew them when I was younger (11 or 12 years old), and they were all @#!!!s then, and I talked to Josh last year (they played here at the good 'ole UofI) and he's still an @#!!!. As far as I'm concerned, they should have broken up when they sold out. You guys never heard them when they were REALLY good.
Sarah <[email protected]> (farm1-cache1.gw.uiuc.edu)
Champaign, IL - Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 15:20:33 (PST)

I met them too and they seemed really immature. They can't settle down. I think Josh must drink a lot of caffeine or something.

let's hear it for hate (p5n207167115061.inetworld.net)
- Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 00:04:11 (PST)

Sorry to hear that some of you have had bad experiences with the Smoking Popes. Personally I have met Josh at least 5 times, and have talked to him for hours, and he has always been very charming. I did receive confirmation from the Popes drummer that they have indeed broken up. Josh is now a born again Christian and only wants to sing about Jesus now.
Steve <[email protected]> (sentara.com)
- Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 04:02:43 (PST)

Short Quiz:

Who can tell me (of all the die-hard Pope's fans) the name of the ORIGINAL Smoking Popes drummer? (The one who played on "Inoculator")

Champaign, IL - Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 08:21:30 (PST)

Yea, I know the name of the original drummer. It's Dave Martens formerly of Island Lake, IL. He and the rest of the guys used to practice in my basement. I enjoyed listening to them.

Kathie Peters <[email protected]> (209.100.152.10.novacon.net)
- Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 09:08:45 (PST)

Damn...you're right! Anyone else besides me and his mother know that? I figured that you die-hards, who seem to think you know everything there is to know about the Smoking Popes, wouldn't know this little tid-bit of information. Think on this awhile: Why would they fail to mention that they had a previous drummer? The one they played all their earlier shows with? The one they made their first album with? And think on why it is that Dave left the band in the first place...
Champaign, IL - Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 11:17:28 (PST)

so is any of the material that was originally scheduled for release still going to come out? and what are they going to call it if does -- "smoking popes get back together"? according to http://www.columbia.edu/~bs251/smpopes/ there were actually two albums (one live) and an anthology scheduled for release...
Ankur <[email protected]> (farm1-cache1.gw.uiuc.edu)
Urbana, IL - Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 13:45:16 (PST)

* return to Morrissey-solo