Main
Andy Rourke bankrupt
Posted on Tue, Feb 16 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
From (withheld):

Today's Manchester Evening News (Sat 14th) is reporting that Andy Rourke may be facing a bankruptcy action brought about by the Inland Revenue.

and from Iain:

... there was a small bit in today's Sun newspaper saying that Andy Rourke has been declared bankrupt by the courts, so basically he is penniless.

Comments / Notes

Looks like it's time for another Smiths compilation album, then! :)

-e!

Elbowless <[email protected]>
- Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 09:00:18 (PST)

Piece of advice Andy....
sue Morrissey and Marr

mike
- Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 11:21:58 (PST)

Re: Andy Rourke's bankruptcy -

It must be true that he is pretty penniless as he is hosting a night at the Fab Cafe, a fabulous bar in the city centre of Manchester, each tuesday night. Here he plays his favourite records including Happy Mondays, Rolling Stones, Stone Roses, James Brown, and, would anyone believe it, several Smiths tunes..... accompanied by video footage of "The Smiths" on TV.

There is no cover charge and it is definitely worth to pop by.

K & S

Kevin & Svenja
Manchester, England - Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 11:23:01 (PST)

If it hadn't been for Morrissey being so damn resentful, Andy could've started playing with him and took one step closer to a reunion... I'm sure he wouldn't mind.
Henrik Rydéhn <[email protected]>
Strangeways Prison, Manchester - Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 13:47:27 (PST)

Andy co-wrote "Yes, I am Blind" and "Get Off the Stage" with Morrissey and he should've stayed on Morrissey's A-list.
Abrahan Garza <[email protected]>
Houston, Texas - Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 16:46:39 (PST)

and sorrow will come to you in the end......
mozmiths <[email protected]>
- Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 17:59:43 (PST)

Poor Poor Andy.......What will he do now? Nobody knows, Knowbody cares.
Eddie Riff <Eddie [email protected]>
- Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 18:19:37 (PST)

I need a bass player. Need a jod, Andrew? hehehehehe
Mani
- Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 18:49:46 (PST)

Pretty sad and generally typical responses. Bankruptcy sucks.. A completely cruel and humiliating situation to be in. And for a bunch of slags to be quoting lines like "Sorrow will come.." Pathetic. What do you know? This site unfortunately draws a lot of negative people who can't wait to unload on the surest sign of misfortune. Anyone's misfortune.
Keneda <[email protected]>
- Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 19:54:22 (PST)

what do you expect from a drug addict? and btw, Delicious really sucked.

junkie on a good day
- Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 21:37:11 (PST)

So did maladjusted.
jerdacuttup man <[email protected]>
minneapolis - Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 22:09:30 (PST)

Actually, Keneda's right. Rourke is one of the greatest bass players in the UK. It's a wonder why he has such a hard time finding a good project. And, a good PAYING one at that. He should've been greedy and cashed in on Joyce's lawsuit. Oh, well. I guess it's street playing and unemployment checks for old Andy.
Mani
(1cust210.tnt2.sdg1.da.uu.net)
- Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 00:46:51 (PST)

I'll give Andy a couple bucks if he mows my lawn.

sam shustern aka [email protected] <[email protected]>
(cdref27.opac.csuohio.edu)
- Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 11:26:20 (PST)

Mike,

Unfortunately for him, Andy can not sue morrissey and Marr because they settled outside court, for a ridiculously low amount of money. I bet he was already having financial problems back then, and Moz and Marr took advantage of that.
Kick them when they fall down.

jerdacuttup man <[email protected]> (pub-26-b-154.dialup.umn.edu)
minneapolis - Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 14:41:02 (PST)

Regardless of what Moz says, Andy was a big part of a band we all love/loved a great deal. Sad that you people have to talk smack about a talented musician who's been down a tough road.
MC (129.210.180.61)
- Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 16:09:47 (PST)

ACTUALLY I COULDN'T REALLY CARE LESS ABOUT KENDA'S RESPONSE........BANKRUPCY IS A HORRIBLE MISREBAL THING.....AND I THINK IT'S GREAT THAT ANDY'S GOT TO GO THROUGH IT.....YES,, HE WAS GOOD....BUT I DON'T CARE.....I HOPE HE'S MISREBAL JUST BECAUSE...........MIKE JOYCE IS NEXT...HA HA
pogue <[email protected]> (mar34.marhs.com)
- Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 14:35:54 (PST)

Hey Mozmiths...Did you even think about the fact that it was Mike Joyce that sued Moz and Marr? Not Andy Rourke? (Well not yet of course.) But he damn well should..
Nate (spider-tf073.proxy.aol.com)
- Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 15:05:30 (PST)

Would Andy Rourke lose sleep if _you_ were broke?

sam shuster (spider-wo052.proxy.aol.com)
- Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 21:31:29 (PST)

It always amazes me how quickly fortunes can change.
Poor guy. Literally.
I hope his fortune changes again - for the better.

Alexander <[email protected]> (nycmb310-11.splitrock.net)
Rego Park, New York - Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 06:38:21 (PST)

AS FAR AS I CAN SEE THIS FELLOW HAS BEEN WASTING
AN INCREDIBLE GIFT EVER SINCE THE SMITHS SPLIT.
TIME TO PULL YOURSELF UP BY YOUR OWN JOCK STRAP
ANDY OLD MATE!....AGAIN!!!

QUINN (209-122-214-99.s353.tnt3.lnh.md.dialup.rcn.com)
- Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 10:19:15 (PST)

I HAVE TO ASK MYSELF IF I REALLY CARE IF ANDY LOST SLEEP IF I WENT BROKE......NOPE....OK...THAT IS ANSWERED...I NOW INTEND TO COMPLETELY FORGET THAT USLESS INFORMATION FOREVER!!
pogue <[email protected]> (mar216.cybrzn.com)
- Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 11:36:31 (PST)

Andy Rourke remains one of my favorite bass players of all time. It's too bad he chose to live his life the way he did. I say, give him another chance, lets petition to re-unite The Smiths, and show the world once again that The Smiths are why alternative music succeeded and why they are the best band even after 12 years without them. Andy Rourke remains a Smith nonetheless.
Javier Obregon <[email protected]> (167-171-52.ipt.aol.com)
Montclair,CA - Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 18:20:35 (PST)

* return to Morrissey-solo