Main
Henry Rollins
Posted on Fri, Feb 12 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
Thanks to Chrissy for the following:

By chance I came across a Henry Rollins page with a mention of Morrissey in it. There was a story posted about this guy's adventure to see Mr. Rollins in a spoken word performance in Manchester a few years ago... What I was wondering is - did this in fact happen?

Excerpt from the story:

So I sat my ass down and cooled it for another hour 'til the show went on. It was great. He talked about his first time in Manchester. He talked about a talking show put on in L.A.... the same one that got taped for the video Talking from the Box. This is kind of funny... He talked about preparing for the show since he produced it as well as performed. At one point, somebody came up to him and asked if he could get a backstage pass for Morrissey. Rollins thought he was joking and told him to fuck off... a little while later he looked out into the audience and saw: it really was Morrissey. The Mo-man himself!

Later, during the show, he did this little bit where he talked about the riots in L.A. He talked about how he hit the streets to go check out the carnage. There was a record store (a chain store) that was being protected...rather pathetically, actually...by two unarmed security guards. "All right, you cement. Stay there!" So anyway, the looters started to close in on the record store. The rent-a-cops, in a wild mood of creativity, came over to the group of on-lookers (of which Rollins was a part) and put forth the proposition that they were going to deputize the group in order to 'protect the neighborhood.' Rollins, being "more cynical than your average stadium full of people" came up with the following argument against it:

"Ok...so what you're saying is you want me to take a rock in the face for Paula Abdul. Now, ok, let me get this right. I'm supposed to take a 2"x4" across my chest for Bono..."

Now I might interject this last bit of fun. Earlier on in the show, Rollins had to explain to the British audience the cultural differences of digital insults on either side of the Atlantic. The United States has its all-too-familiar method: clenching the fist with the exception of the single longest digit in the center of the hand - the eternal middle finger. In Britain, this is generally understood, but it's far more characteristic to use both the middle and index fingers (a reversal of the peace sign...ironically, all the hippies and peaceniks were/are just flipping themselves off.)

"...I'm supposed to stand in front of a huge piece of plate glass and try and defend it from five gnarly youths who want to go right over my head...for Morrissey."

It was at this point where Rollins flipped off Morrissey where he sat in the audience, all the while screaming "FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU!" The audience, froze, turned to look straight at the Mo-Man, laughed, clammed up, and turned quickly back to face the stage. This occurred during the first ten or fifteen minutes of his talk. He had to sit and live with this insult for another hour or so. Ouch..

Comments / Notes

I really don't think Morrissey would have been in attendance at a Rollins-spoken word performance...
Marrissey
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 09:36:52 (PST)

I dont think Morrissey would care about the @#!!! Rollins has to say, but in any case Henry Rollins can kiss my ass!
Acquiesce
us - Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 09:58:22 (PST)

Being as well spoken and intelligent as Henry Rollins is I can't see him standing on stage and yelling expletives over and over again at Morrissey. To do so would bring him down to the level of those he criticizes.
Steve
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 10:12:03 (PST)

I agree with Steve; Rollins is a very intelligent man, and unless he was on something (not likely at the time), this story can't be accurate.
MC
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 11:13:56 (PST)

I disagree. Rollins may be intelligent, but he is a @#!!!. I can picture him doing this. He has been disrespecting U2 (especially Edge) for many years. I think this is something he could have done, but I don't see Moz wanting to be there in the first place.

@#!!! Henry Rollins.

Scott Jay <[email protected]>
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 11:56:03 (PST)

I think this story is fake. There's no reason Rollins would do that. To me it just doesn't make any sense.
Scott <[email protected]>
Ashland - Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 12:55:55 (PST)

I remember somewhere in some interview where M. said that although he didn't like Rollins' music, he thought he looked great. So, based on that, it sounds credible. However, neither M nor any self-respecting individual would have stayed.
Another thing is that it is likely that we would have heard about it a long time ago if it were true.

Gustavo Adolfo <[email protected]>
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 14:36:04 (PST)

I don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds like Rollins thinks he is funny (you know insult comics.) The problem is his story about wanting to loot a record store during the LA Riots was really lame and the fact that there may have been a recording artist in the audiece to point at didn't make his story anymore interesting. My .02.

all this useless beauty
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 14:58:58 (PST)

I can't say if I believe the story or not, either.

But some things that do make the story plausible are some comments Morrissey made in the past and Rollins's reputation for defensively assuming a hypermacho image to deny the hint of gayness associated with hypermasculinity (e.g., male body building and American football can be arguably really gay pursuits).

In an interview (sorry, I can't cite where exactly at this time, but I'm sure it's documented at the Comtesse's site), when asked what he thought of Rollins, Morrissey responded that he didn't think much of Rollins's poetry but thought that Rollins looked very, very good. ; ) Since Morrissey frequently attends shows at the House of Blues, it's possible that he went to see that hunk o' hypermachismo Rollins at the House of Blues. Perhaps we can assume that Rollins's words weren't so much the draw as much as his beefy body and tough-ass attitude. What's wrong with that, I ask you?

The funny thing is that Rollins's hypermachismo does signify gayness to many other people. He's like those ultra-tough, mustachio'd leather daddies. If he didn't hate disco so much perhaps Rollins could've been one of the Village People. And good sons never do --- (Charles) Atlas!

In an oppositional interview with Rollins conducted by a totally out and queer punk, Rollins admitted to the homosexual energy exploited during his Black Flag performances. He said that masculine energy/aggression in pits (typically all male or dominated by males) is directed in one of two outlets: One either fights or fcks the other guy, and there isn't much difference between the two activities. One kind is simply displaced energy. But still, Rollins felt he had to deny any gay association, and so he wrote in response to the out punk, "All you fags think alike. Just because you're one, doesn't mean everyone else is, too. BTW Jello (Biafra) is bi. Keep washing the sh*t out of your sheets and buy my mersh (merchandise)."

Eh, nice one. Henry Rollins is my second fave neanderthal!

Earlier this week I had suggested spreading the joke rumour that Morrissey was going to appear with Henry Rollins on a spoken word tour in Africa and East Asia. This joke came as a response to the rumour (equally ridiculous) that Morrissey was working on an all spoken-word album.

Melinda <[email protected]>
a sunny place in Hell - Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 14:59:01 (PST)

...Although this story does sound unbelievable, we must remember that Mr. Rollins is basically just a thick headed jock disgusing himself as a thinking man's Danzig...except with a penchant for opening his mouth and spewing forth rubbish...I once heard Rollins remark that "I am sick of taking @#!!! from people who can't bench press half as much as I can..."
Jered <[email protected]>
Edmonton, Canada - Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 15:22:24 (PST)

Henry Rollins did once say that Morrissey (and I am paraphroasing here) "needed a good F*ck,a decent haircut and a steak". This appeared in the NME - and also in a NME book of famous one liners (or something to that effect).
I don't think that Rollins particularly likes Morrissey (obvious from his comment), but having seen his spoken word show, I do not think that he would be so crude as to humiliate a member of his audience, no matter who it was. In fact he always says that he is mindful that the audience have taken time out to see him when they could be doing something better.
If Rollins did do this to Morrissey, my respect for him has dropped significantly, but I doubt that he did.
But hey - who can say what goes on in the mind of these artists???

Kelly
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 17:41:33 (PST)

I am the only one that thinks Henry Rollins actually likes Moz deep down. Anyone who protests that much (to paraphrase old Shake) must be covering something. He goes too far out of his way...

jason

Jason <[email protected]>
Tokyo - Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 06:42:40 (PST)

I don't believe it. Well, maybe i don't WANT to believe it. I mean, Henry Rollins ISN'T homosexual?
Pee Jay
NJ - Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 19:04:46 (PST)

Rollins is an idiot trying to pass himself off as a modern-day Nietzsche.
Rollins, furthermore, is as gay as a french horn.

Howard
- Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 23:49:08 (PST)

After reading that I discussed it w/ My little sister (She really liked Henry Rollins). We both shouted "F@&! HENRY ROLLINS" and watched "Morrissey- The Malady lingers on". During "Tomorrow" She said to me "Anyone who doesn't like Morrissey is obviously brain dead". I smiled and said "I've taught you well".
That's my 2 cents.

The Girl Racer
Chicago - Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 11:42:24 (PST)

On a bit of a side note, if you pick up Spin's Guide to Alternative Music which came out a couple of years ago, the person who reviews the Rollins Band uses Moz as a reference point to base the whole review on (for example, one album is cited as Rollins' "Strangeways") It's been awhile, so I don't remember well, but the whole review is that 'Hank' Rollins is just a pissed off (as opposed to depressed?) Moz, and his constant Moz insults are just jealousy. I forget what all he uses to back up his claim, but some include- lenghty song titles, repetition of the same songs on different LPs, possible homo-eroticism, and his alternating between songs of self-loathing and self-worship. He concludes that Moz and Hank 'birds of a feather' which, I don't know, seems vaguely valid to me. Thought the whole concept of using Moz to review Rollins was interesting, though.
Al <[email protected]>
- Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 20:47:13 (PST)

It's strangest s/m sexual fantasy I've ever heard
Ian <[email protected]>
- Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 21:26:06 (PST)

What is the whole point in all this? If Rollins really thought it was kind of cool to insult someone sitting in his audience in such a way he`s made much more a fool out of himself than Morrissey could have ever done by staying there (I don`t believe that he did, anyway). I saw Rollins at a Spoken Word Performance here in Hamburg/Germany some weeks ago and I thought it was brilliant. Still I`m as sure as one could be that he`s capable of stupidity of this kind. That man might not be half as tolerant as he`s telling others to be in the end. But than again - all this does affect Mr.Rollins much more than it does Morrissey, I`m sure HE`s on top of all this so we should probably be, too.
els <[email protected]>
- Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 11:07:56 (PST)

Rollins is actually a very intelligent guy. i have heard through all his spoken words, and they are great.
my conclusion from what rollins says, he is not gay. and he doesn't like morrissey that much either. from a spoken word cd (Rollins - the boxed life) he says something like "people in britain are so damn sad... that's why stuff like Morrissey happens... it could never have happened in the US. people would just say "hey! cheer up! here's a pill and here's a gun""
he also has several references about morrissey and robert smith in other spoken words.
i like rollins alot, morrissey i love... but i don't care what they think of eachother.

Aaron <[email protected]>
- Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 13:38:39 (PST)

somthing admirable about what rollins said..... But I hate him...die rollins die...... Aaron...that was spoken like a true arse...what rollins said..and what you said...
dork

pogue <[email protected]>
- Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 15:35:39 (PST)

I agree with Aaron...
Kelly (202.0.75.16)
- Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 00:00:15 (PST)

I posted this link to panic a year or two ago...this is actually an aquaintance of mine...I asked him about it and his story seemed accurate...who knows? he's definately not a moz fan though
becky <[email protected]> (qrvl209-74-60ppp234.epix.net)
- Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 09:19:32 (PST)

If this is true, then everyone watch the movie "Heat" and enjoy what Heny Rollin's character gets. But if it isn't, have a good laugh--I mean, this story is so funny. B B B B B B B B Big fan!!
Johhny S. (dvinttwo.datavision.com)
Philadelphia - Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 12:51:33 (PST)

Rollins is an MTV whore.
I hope he gets cancer.

sam shuster <[email protected]> (spider-wo034.proxy.aol.com)
- Fri, Feb 19, 1999 at 00:21:39 (PST)

CARSON DAILY IS AN MTV WHORE!!!
pogue <[email protected]> (mar216.cybrzn.com)
- Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 11:38:50 (PST)

I think I saw Rollins on an America's Most Wanted 'cos he got held up by some dood w/ a gun which really scared him.

let's hear it for hate (p5n207167115061.inetworld.net)
- Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 00:16:34 (PST)

Typical Rollins - gaw, when will the rest of the world just grow up and get bored with him? Or at least neuter him, relieving us of his hypermacho Customized Madman ravings? Can you believe that some gits out there actually pay for his books so that they can imagine they're a part of this, ahem, "radical's" circus act? Jesus...
Jonathan (rzaix05.rrz.uni-hamburg.de)
- Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 06:32:20 (PST)

Ya know...you all are a bunch of @#!!!ing morons for liking someon like Moz. The music, from the Smiths to his solo work, sucks @#!!!. He is the biggest @#!!! in music, with the exception of Oasis...more Brit cocksuckers.
As for Rollins insulting Moz, I hope to god it is true. Rollins works his ass off in every aspect of media, while Moz puts out a @#!!!ty album every couple years. Let's see Moz stand in front of an audience and talk for 3 hours and be entertaining, He can't even be entertaining for 2 minutes. I wish death on Moz and all those who worship him...mindless mother@#!!!ers. Worship is for weak people who have no clue. Like all of you.

DV (3c57.terracom.net)
- Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 18:36:25 (PST)

I've heard most of Rollins' spoken word stuff, and he does come across as quite intelligent and articulate. Though he has plenty of rage in him, I doubt he'd blow up that way at Moz, or anyone, really - by my impression he'd use more original insults than what he was quoted for, anyway. I also doubt Moz would attend a Rollins reading. (And since Rollins has always made it clear he doesn't care for Morrissey, why hasn't this shown up in the _real_ news?) The whole thing seems a tad contrived. Anyone know where one might find a reputable confirmation or denial of this?
MT (nwhn-sh4-port150.snet.net)
- Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 03:39:09 (PST)

* return to Morrissey-solo