Main
"Morrissey Manson"
Posted on Fri, Feb 12 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
Thanks to  ==== for the story:

Hi. I didn't even think to write to you about this so the story has been laying around for almost a year now. But, if you'd still like it, here it is.

It was February 21, 1998. For over three years I had wanted to meet Marilyn Manson but each opportunity had been screwed up in one way or another. But on this day, he was signing copies of The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell at Virgin Records in San Francisco. I hadn't bought the book yet (I was going to wait till I was there to do so) and I just threw on my Morrissey shirt which features a photograph of Moz feeding some ducks with the words: "It takes strength to be gentle and kind." I thought he would like seeing that shirt... for some reason, I figured he was a fan of Morrissey's and he would like the phrase. I showed up, messed around for several hours inside and around Virgin records awaiting Morrissey, I mean Marilyn.

Anyway, there was a whole bunch of stuff that happened in between but let us cut to where I'm getting at.

So, it's almost thyme for us to be let in. I'm by the entrance holding my book when someone asks if I know what Mr. Manson says about Morrissey. I don't. He points out a part where Mr. Manson says anal sex doesn't count as coitus (unless you're Morrissey). Something like that. I'd find the exact quote but a friend of mine has the book. So I'm kind of excited and kind of worried in a silly sort of way. And they point out the section on homosexuality which has many, many Morrissey references. And then... we were let in.

Approaching the table I am nervous, excited. Marilyn Manson is a band I've followed for several years and now was my chance to have some sort of contact with them. About ten-fifteen feet away from Mr. Manson I say, "Mr. Manson," and he looks up, "Will you make fun of me for wearing a Morrissey shirt?" He nodded and I covered it up with the book saying "it's not Morrissey, it's, uh, Morrissey Manson." He laughed.

When I was at the table, Marilyn asked me where I'd like him to sign. I pointed out a glowing sphere he was cradling in a picture. As he started to sign the top of the page, I thanked him but not for just the autograph.

I noticed the first letters didn't look like "Marilyn" so I figured he must have a very messy signature. Very messy considering the rest of the words didn't look much like "Marilyn Manson" either. He handed the book back and I looked to see "you're gay....Marilyn Manson." I asked, since I'm gay, if I could have a hug. And the lady who was working there said we have to keep the line moving. Fooey. Mr. Manson said, "Hug the cop. Cops need hugs too." So I approached the big burly man and put my arms out to hug him. He put his arms out to block me saying he doesn't need hugs. He seemed quite nervous. Mr. Manson and the employees laughed. Perhaps that's where the "cops and queers" line derived from. I thanked him one more thyme before leaving.

In November of that year, I ended up spending a day with a fellow in a band by the name of Healthy Morbidity. I told him about my meeting with Marilyn and it turns out that the H.M guy was actually an employee at Virgin and he had heard about me from the other employees... and that's it.

Comments / Notes

What a cute story. I personally think Marilyn Mason is a loser, but at least he has a sense of humor.
Seasick, yet still docked <[email protected]>
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 10:08:21 (PST)

Why would you cover up your shirt? Are you ashamed to be a Moz fan? I met Marilyn Manson once. He's a complete idiot! Lok at him for god's sake! And the music...
Scott <[email protected]>
Ashland - Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 13:02:08 (PST)

ditto
--
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 18:08:35 (PST)

No- Good story. I want to hear the parts you left out. When you mentioned the part about being "excited and nervous..." I knew exactly what you meant. Wearing the Morrissey Tee shirt (Especially if you had read MM's book)- Brilliant. Write more!
Mike the Hagfish <[email protected]>
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 18:42:35 (PST)

WHY WOULD YOU BE ASHAMED OF YOUR T-SHIRT??? I DON'T CARE IF I WAS MEETING THE POPE I STILL WOULDN'T COVER UP MY MOZ SHIRT!!!!!!!!! THOSE SHIRTS ARE SACRED!!!!!!!!!! SO YOU ARE A DUMBASS FOR THAT!!! AND WHO CARES WHAT WHAT @#!!! MARILYN MANSON THINKS, AT LEAST MORRISSEY DOESN'T DRESS LIKE A BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MOZZER
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 19:43:49 (PST)

I'm not ashamed at all of liking Morrissey. But it's like how people feed off each other's energy. Besides, Mr. Manson obviously likes Morrissey or he would not devote a section of his book to him. It was like being on stage....playing characters. But not really being fictional. Also, it would be silly to cover up the shirt out of shame. He saw it already so that wouldn't make any difference. I just liked seeing him smile.
====spiral <[email protected]>
==== - Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 20:27:59 (PST)

How anybody with half a brain/half-taste could like Morrissey AND Marilyn Manson is beyond me.
Elin
- Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 10:13:59 (PST)

Anyone who is ashamed of Morrissey is not a real Morrissey fan and that is that.
The Girl Racer
- Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 11:24:42 (PST)

Lots of people like both Moz and Mr. Manson.
MC
- Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 18:41:37 (PST)

"How anybody with half a brain/half-taste could like Morrissey AND Marilyn Manson is beyond me."
An attitude like that will get you bitten in the ass. Too many "fans" of different genres have it and they just end up sounding ignorant because they all have the same system of thoughts.
To Mike the Hagfish....well, in between, I was using a phone and trying to get the crowd to chant things and wave their hands in the air. Some stupid cow wanted to beat up my friend who wasn't with me at the thyme....erm....what else....after meeting him, myself and a couple of other people went up and down the escalator like dorks trying to catch a glimpse of Mister Superstar....I met a gurl I would come in contact with again within the next year to have a tumultous period in this life.... and I hated some gy in a tophat cos all these chicks were saying how beautiful he is. Gar. Morrissey fans can't be beautiful! Look. You put me in a bad mood now. Fooey.

====spiral <[email protected]>
==== - Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 20:01:40 (PST)

It's "time".
duh
- Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 23:49:39 (PST)

SOMTHING IS SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH THIS JACKASS, BEING THAT HE WENT TO A MANSON CONCERT IN THE FIRST PLACE.....THAT MAKES ME SICK.....I WISH HE WOULDN'T HAVE EVEN SHARED THIS "VITLE" IMPORTANT MESSAGE.....THIS MAKES ME SICK......DAVID...PLEASE TELL THIS WRITER TO BUGGER OFF THE NEXT TIME HE WISHES TO ANNOUNCE ANYTHING....... OH YEAH
....i could really care less who is affended by this..

pogue <[email protected]>
- Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 15:28:15 (PST)

Screw the bitten in the arse thing...I don't give a flying flip off a spinning donut.... manson sucks donkey......i hope he dies in some morbid way that poeticly, was conjured in his own, deep dark resivor of thought....baaaa haaaa..... and oh yeah...lets not forget, the fans can join him.....
......come on, lay it on me...... ridicule, chastise, bring it to me.....ha ha haaaahahahah

pogue <[email protected]>
- Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 15:32:11 (PST)

Pogue, if you "could care less" that means you care to some degree. Just thought I'd be a bastard and point that out.
Hee hee.

Bastard
- Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 02:08:44 (PST)

I actually think it was a so funny. Manson might be whatever you guys want but it was funny. Who cares if the guy covered up his shirt that was the best funny part.
bk <[email protected]>
- Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 10:11:28 (PST)

Honestly I would laugh at Manson if I was to ever confront him. Poor litte ragged dog that he is. Not to say that his music is all that bad, but he is just someone out to FREAK everyone out to get publicity. Let me put some freaky coloured lenses in my eyes and see how much attention I attract. Morrissey is not about that. He is of essence, he is of making sense out of words and not out of looks. Unfortunately like the sorrowful boy who had to hide his t shirt from the clown of clowns; how obscene. He is probably the type that is sitting in his auto proudly listening to the Moz Man and suddenly when someone pulls up next to him he turns it down, rolls up the window, or stops singing in shame. Be who and what you are and don't be afraid! Is everyone in this world homophobic? In my case I love the opposite sex! But I am not going to let the preferences of the singer I adore shy me away, if that is what he prefers. We are who we are. BE YOURSELF! ashamed little t shirt boy
Mark D Sempek <[email protected]>
(171-94-224.ipt.aol.com)
USA - Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 01:22:00 (PST)

i'm a huge fan of both moz and manson. it seems to me that if manson critics would take time to actually listen to his music and moreover read the lyrics, he actually writes about many of the same topics morrissey does...alienation, loneliness, and a world that "just doesn't get it." and please...try to keep in mind that you people running your mouths off about how much manson sucks sound very much like the people i know who try to tell me morrissey sucks. thank you.
billypowers <[email protected]>
(206.111.201.20)
california - Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 12:32:18 (PST)

I'm an educated lover of music. I've read Manson's lyrics and it isn't worth the paper it's written on. Morrissey and Manson cannot be justifiably compared.
Elin
(24.112.158.235)
- Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 19:09:12 (PST)

Mad props to those who get it.
====|||| <[email protected]>
(170-135-134.ipt.aol.com)
==== - Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 20:01:13 (PST)

I'd just like to agree with the people who said that Morrissey and Manson are no comparison. Lyrically or otherwise. I'd also like to agree with the people who said that Morrissey isn't about haveing to do outlandish things to get in teh spotlight...it came to him and he was just being himself.
Corey <[email protected]> (dl9.livingston.bedford.net)
Pennsylvania - Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 16:27:22 (PST)

Corey, thank you.
I'm sick of these people trying to "all just get
along" saying that Manson likes Morrissey or Rollins is really gay. News like this just makes us appreciate how special Morrissey is and how much better he is than Manson and Rollins.

kevin <[email protected]> (rh602d117.bus.duq.edu)
Pittsburgh - Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 12:45:50 (PST)

LOOOOOOOOOSER.First of all I wouldn't be caught dead at marilyn manson anything, Moz is not gay, if he is prove it. manson is the real freak. A CRACK ON THE HEAD IS ALL THAT YOU GET for what you did. A kick in the balls is all that manson should get, period.
PIST OFF FOR THE LAST TIME <[email protected]> (207.233.61.141)
los angeles(sort of) - Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 12:19:09 (PST)

well in my personal belief marylin manson is a (early) David Bowie wannnabee.... marylin manson is definetly a moz fan...i have read his poor excuse for literature on paper.....its full of bullsh** the only one marylin manson should be compared to is "the backstreet boys"....that moron is just part of mtv bubblegum washdown wannabee music ......he's a bad "paul" from the "wonder years" look a like that doesnt even come close to moz......thats my opinion......so marylin "dont plagarize or take on loan!" u biatch!

mars 1 <dmonte6635> (1cust41.tnt4.lax3.da.uu.net)
loose angela - Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 22:39:18 (PST)

* return to Morrissey-solo