Main
Stephen Street in Melody Maker
Posted on Fri, Feb 12 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
Thanks to Nicklas Franke for the following info:

In the latest issue of Melody Maker (06-02-99) they have done an interview with Stephen Street. Here is what was said about The Smiths & Moz:

"...his good fortune then continued when he met up with a band from Manchester who were about to start making more than a few waves in what had become a pretty stagnant music scene.

"Yeah, I worked for a long time with The Smiths," he nods, still very keenly aware of what a stroke of luck that meeting was, a stroke of luck that continued when he was asked to co-write Morrissey´s first solo effort.

"We´d just finished `Strangeways....´ and everybody thought that Morrissey and Marr were just having a tiff, but there was nothing left in the can for any B-sides, so I sent Morrissey some ideas for possible use and got a letter back saying; `Dear Stephen, I love what you sent me, let´s talk´, and it turned out that he wanted to make a solo album and asked if I had any more. Recording started in October, and by Christmas `Viva Hate´ was finished and I couldn´t believe the sudden surge of energy. It was incredible, although the tension ended up giving me stomach ulcers, because you can imagine trying to follow in Johnny Marr´s footsteps..." he says, shaking his head at that memory.

Though the album was a success (which, given the expectations surrounding any post-Smiths material, was something of a minor miracle), Mozzer threw one of his notorious strops and promptly stopped calling. Street went back into the studio..."

The interview was edited by Tony Horkins

Comments / Notes

Sigh. Two comments about 2 posts in one sitting.
I think I'm drinking too much.
Ok...
"Viva Hate" is my favorite Morrissey album, with "Your Arsenal" and "Vauxhall and I" at a respectful second and third place. Still, "Viva Hate".. It kills me every time I hear it. I swear that as I was driving home from work the other day I was wondering what the next "Morrissey and Stephen Street album" would have sounded like.
I wish that Morrissey would hold on the fantastic chemistry he has going in his favor for just a while longer before he disassociates with the people who help make it so.
I like his "new band"- in small doses. I think they limit what he can do. Make no mistake, I don't dislike them because they are not The Smiths, I just don't think that the talent is there. I think Morrissey needs to mix it up a little (band wise) and not stick with a band that simply feels comfortable.
Now..Where did I put my beer?

Mike the Hagfish <[email protected]>
- Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 19:24:40 (PST)

Viva Hate is brilliant, but certainly not more so than Vauxhall. Could Stephen Street have written Now My Heart is full? Could anyone other than Boz? Alain, Boz and even Spencer (who co-wrote Lost, perhaps the best Morrissey B-side) are each massively, unforgivably underrated. Most artists would kill their grandmothers for the chance to be "restricted" by such talent.
Snowsell <[email protected]>
- Sun, Feb 14, 1999 at 09:33:19 (PST)

I do believe the period with S.Street was the best one for MOrrissey as a soloist. Oh yes, Vauxhall ANd I is my favourite album, and I believe 1994 was another great year for him (Boxers included).
But, let's go back to that 1987-89 period. Firstly, Street belonged to the Smiths camp, so in Viva Hate and in his other most successful singles (The Last of The Famous...and Interesting Drug), you can really taste a little bit of that magic aura.
I think Street has got really a good taste, and his latter productions display that a lot.
And Vini Reilly on guitar...oh breathtaking...and thanks to Stephen Street. I think he played a major role in Mozzer's career.

Claude
(comc61.bham.ac.uk)
- Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 04:18:12 (PST)

I couldn't have said it any better or kinder than you did.
Jaylin <[email protected]>
(dialup186-3-50.swipnet.se)
- Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 15:10:58 (PST)

* return to Morrissey-solo