Main
Smiths, Morrissey in Uncut magazine (Feb.)
Posted on Sat, Feb 6 1999
by David T. <[email protected]>
Thanks to Glamlisp for the following:

Just read a mention of Smiths & Morrissey in February '99 issue of Uncut magazine. The cover story is about New Order.

After that they have 2 related articles, The 20 Best Manchester Albums & Mancunian Candidates.

The first article has 2 of The Smiths' albums The Queen Is Dead & The Smiths listed as #5 & #8 respectively.

The complete list is as follows:

THE 20 BEST MANCHESTER ALBUMS

1-- JOY DIVISION---Closer.
2-- THE STONE ROSES---The Stone Roses.
3-- JOY DIVISION--- Unknown Pleasures.
4-- NEW ORDER--- Technique.
5-- THE SMITHS--- The Queen Is Dead.
6-- MAGAZINE--- Secondhand Daylight.
7-- OASIS--- Definitely Maybe.
8-- THE SMITHS--- The Smiths.
9-- NEW ORDER--- Power, Corruption & Lies.
10--THE CHAMELEONS--- What Does Anything Mean? Basically.
11-- ELECTRONIC--- Electronic.
12-- THE BUZZCOCKS--- Love Bites.
13-- THE FALL--- Grotesque (After The Gramme).
14-- NEW ORDER--- Low-Life.
15-- THE DURUTTI COLUMN--- LC.
16-- HAPPY MONDAYS--- Bummed.
17-- A CERTAIN RATIO--- To Each . . .
18-- THE CHARLATANS--- Tellin' Stories.
19-- MONACO--- Music For Pleasure.
20-- BLACK GRAPE--- It's Great When You're Straight, Yeah.

The details under the 2 Smiths' Albums are:

THE SMITHS
The Queen Is Dead

Recording of The Smiths' third album was beset by internal conflicts and Johnny Marr's near collapse. Nevertheless, The Queen Is Dead was the band's most complete statement yet and remains their most lauded. It balanced humour with brutality, repression with awakening, and offered glimpses of a mythical, rose-tinted "Dear Old Blighty" while remaining firmly rooted in contemporary England. One of the seminal releases of the Eighties.

Quintessentially ironic burst of jokingly(?) suicidal, ambiguous, asexual self-mockery: "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"

THE SMITHS

The Smiths

The album that announced Morrissey and Marr as a song- writing duo to rival Jagger and Richards and Lennon and McCartney. With Marr's chimings at their most ebullient, Morrissey's unique worldview unleashed 10 masterful songs dealing in reclusiveness, infanticide, Moors murders, problematic sexual urges and illness with a baneful romanticism steeped in kitchen sink dramas and a difficult childhood.

Overnight the role of misfit and malcontent was suddenly unutterably fashionable and desirable Magical misery tour: "Reel Around The Fountain" - a dark tale of violent forbidden love.

The second article is:

MANCUNIAN CANDIDATES

Twenty mad-fer-it, bangin' reasons without which Manchester would not exist.

IAN CURTIS.
NOEL & LIAM GALLAGHER.
MORRISSEY.
IAN BROWN.
SHAUN RYDER / BEZ.
BERNARD SUMNER.
JOHNNY MARR.
PETER HOOK.
HOWARD DEVOTO.
PETE SHELLEY.
MARK E SMITH.
JOHN SQUIRE.
MARTIN HANNET.
ANTHONY H WILSON.
TIM BOOTH.
GODLEY & CREME.
GERALD (A GUY CALLED. . .)
SIMON TOPPING (A CERTAIN RATIO).
GRAHAM MASSEY (808 STATE).
STELLA (OF INTASTELLA) / WORLD OF TWIST.

About Morrissey they wrote:

MORRISSEY

Job: persecuted sometime yodeller

A TRUE one-off, Dublin-born Morrissey endured a difficult baptism in Manchester at the hands of Rusholme ruffians, penning sulky missives about the New York Dolls to the music press. Initially a reviled figure, as leader of The Smiths Morrissey's wonderful Mancunian brogue, studied Englishness and difficult lyrics earned the adulation of a generation. Following the band's breakup, Mozzer's subsequent patchy solo career has led to American success, boxers, skinheads, lawsuits, and a not entirely unreasonable persecution complex.

Current whereabouts: Altrincham, after paying ex-Smiths drummer Mike Joyce a million pounds.

Comments / Notes

The tidbit on him struck me as a bit flippant, and more compliments were paid to Ian Curtis' lyrics than to Morrissey's.
Swallow On His Neck
- Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 16:34:43 (PST)

Out of whose arse did UNCUT pull this bit of info...Moz "Dublin-born"? He was born in Davyhulme, Manchester. He is English.
mianroa
- Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 21:26:14 (PST)

Schematically, Morrissey's Quips
Sinkmetosleep
- Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 22:47:41 (PST)

What the f_u_c_k is this!!!

Is the author trying to rub-up the neworder fans or what?

I guess so! since electronic and neworder have probable new releases these year.

What the f_u_c_k technique better than the queen is dead. OK
I don't think that an album that contains a song that was plagiarized from John Denver deserves such reputation. what a @#!!!ing joke.

Then, Low-life, an album that contain a song in which the lyrics to a song start out as "Hello everyone is nice to here…" deserves no such respect---To be in a top 20 of anything.

As for joydivision, I dare not comment because I have only briefly listened to them. I know that they do not compare to smiths/morrissey.

Finally, since when bands coming out manchester give so much credit to neworder/joydivision. From what I remember, most people give credit to morrissey/smiths for being an influence on their music, except for some techno f_u_c_k djs that give credit to neworder.

The smiths started the music movement and such movement exist because of their influence not neworder.

rob (ex-neworder fan)
- Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 14:39:41 (PST)

Rob-
relax.
take a deep breath.
get a hold of yourself.
I agree Smiths beat neworder but geez.....
Joy Division/neworder were also extremely influental to many artists besides (as you so eloquently stated) techno *%#@ing d.j.'s
How old were you in the early mid eighties?

logic
dublin - Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 19:48:42 (PST)

I am relaxed now!

Not anymore. WHAT THE F_U_C_K MONACO. I missed this the first time around.
I am sorry but, that is a load of crap. Peter Hook it just Peter Hook experimenting with techno sounds. Peter hook can't make dance music.

Anyways, the survey is obviously bias. So who cares!

Monaco!!! I will be laughing at that all @#!!!ing night. Even my friend martin who is a die hard neworder fan will agree with me on this one.

Monaco better than the morrissey hehehe!
7 neworder/joydivision based albums, and 2 smiths/moz! Stop it you are killing me!

Thanks to Uncut for making me laugh so much.

To Logic: I was 10 years old. What does that have to do with anything?

rob
- Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 21:54:50 (PST)

Morrissey is God.
Carlos Diaz
- Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 13:05:14 (PST)

I think it's INSANE that Joy Division and New Order could be given such high rankings. Yes they had some outstanding songs, but the lyrics range from weak to sappy to flat-out bad. And where was Meat is Murder? Certainly it belonged in the top 20!
As much as I love the Smiths, the Stone Roses should have gotten the nod for the best Mancunian album, just ahead of TQID. The debut Smiths album belonged in the top 5 and Meat is Murder top 15.

Rich Landrum <[email protected]>
Fayetteville, Arkansas - Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 14:09:20 (PST)

So many words, some frustrating... some not so. Nevertheless, one sits back to think how super it was at the time of those wonderful Smiths albums. To Memories past and future!
j bonner (201-11-224.ipt.aol.com)
Des Moines, IA - Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 20:15:37 (PST)

* return to Morrissey-solo